GM Inside News Forum banner

Rate the SS styling. 10 being the best.

Rate the Chevrolet SS styling.

26K views 140 replies 107 participants last post by  GT_Ont 
#1 · (Edited)
This seemed to be pretty popular in the Corvette thread. Rate the Chevy SS. 10 being perfect, 1 being the worst.

See less See more
#2 ·
A photo here would hlep. :)

#10 · (Edited)
I like the overall package but it looks like what the GTO was. A quick bandaid to fill a huge hole in the portfolio. It's just not a very cohesive design and all the Austrailian based cars look ten years old the day they come out to me.

Hate the name, it's a trim level not a brand.

I gave it a 5 because it will just blend in with all the other boring 4 door cars out there which is a shame for a car with this drivetrain. In fact if it wasn't for the drivetrain this car would be completely uninteresting.

#83 · (Edited)
I like the overall package but it looks like what the GTO was. A quick bandaid to fill a huge hole in the portfolio. It's just not a very cohesive design and all the Austrailian based cars look ten years old the day they come out to me.
Hate the name, it's a trim level not a brand.
I gave it a 5 because it will just blend in with all the other boring 4 door cars out there which is a shame for a car with this drivetrain. In fact if it wasn't for the drivetrain this car would be completely uninteresting.
I gave it a 5 because it's nothing special in the looks department, thanks to the front end. The Chrysler Sebring headlights or the grill that looks held on with double stick tape. This car has nothing besides the bowtie that represents the Chevy line up or brand. For as long as Chevy has tried to tug at the sentimental strings and bring back memories of the glory days.. this car was that chance and IMO, they blew it.
I can't disagree with anything you fellas said... However, to be honest, I liked the "sleeper" look of the GTO. But that look didn't help sales in any way...

7, But who cares? It will be a great performer and still tops most mid-size sedans in looks.

If "looks" is most important to yo --- go somewhere else ---- you don't deserve it.
Yes, who would want their performance car to actually look good? What a ridiculously silly statement... And I only say "silly" because I'm too kindhearted to use the word "dumb."

Oh, and "deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

7. Much better than the VE, but if the Americans are going to market it as a 4 door Corvette, it need something more edgy...

Americans just have no idea how to market Australian cars. Maybe they should let Holdens marketing team do it for them. Im sure Americans arent all that different to Aussies.
American taste is much different than Aussie taste... But if it makes you feel better, GM can't seem to market their American built cars any better than the ones from down under...

I gave it a 1, since it looks awful compared to my G8.
LJ
A little extreme, but I too prefer the G8's appearance...

After five years of extreme hype on this website, I admit I had greater far expectations.
Even after three tries, it appears that GM still hasn't figured out how to position a Holden product into the US muscle car segment. It's nice enough, but it ain't gonna turn many heads. If you want a "sleeper", here's your car.
Can't argue with that...

I gave it a 4 for being waaaay too conservative. Yes, I'm sure the chassis will best the MOPAR RWD bunch. I'm sure it will handle great, have the perfect balance of ride and handling, be fast with good MPG and a cavernous interior, but it's not even as good looking or sporty looking as the FWD Impala. It's not even in the same league as the Impala. The back end isn't bad, but I don't know why they didn't at least give it LEDs for this class of car. The front looks outdated and inexplicably doesn't have the improved new Chevrolet face grill where it matters most. The greenhouse is too rounded and tall at the B-pillar and could me much sleeker, though it gets a pass for being carry-over. The strong fender flares are nice, but those were already on the G8. I think these side-by-side pics really show the missed potential here.
I too think the FWD Impala looks a little better than the RWD SS, which is odd for me.

I know, the front I just ruins the whole car. Lets hope by next gen GMNA designs its own SS.
I would be interested in seeing what GMNA would design for a mainstream RWD Chevrolet sedan...

A large rear wheel drive V8 top-of-the-range sedan should be every car designers dream gig, but they have given it all the charm and sportiness of a mundane mid sized 4 cylinder... I don't get it.
... Especially when the two other top tier performers in the lineup, Corvette & Camaro, also have dynamic styling. You would think they would want a little more synergy.

who cares what it looks like as it blows off the competition.
You may want to rephrase that... You make the SS sound like a crackhead you picked up in the red light district...

*on a side note, the Chevy bowtie is fine and I'm proud that its on both of my current vehicles. I intend for it to be on my future ones as well. If you don't like it, take it off, paint it another color or buy a Ford... Just quit bitching that a Chevy has a Chevy emblem on it!
It's not necessarily the Bowtie that I mind... It's the fact that it's a gaudy shade of gold, it's too large and has all the subtlety of a rodeo winner's belt buckle...

I gave it a 5.
Also, it's lacking any sort of legacy Chevrolet design language. It appears almost anonymous.
Impala is much better looking, and a variant of that look would be a better choice for SS.
The lack of Chevrolet design language is a little turn off, not that I want the SS to be retro. But, as you stated, it does look like it could have been marketed by any brand.

It reminds me of the last GTO. Great powertrain, bland styling. I don't think Chevy will sell very many of these. At least none to me.
Chevrolet is going to sell every one they build with very little problem, if the vehicle is to be as limited as they say.

I gave the design a 6. It's okay, not bad, certainly not dynamic. But I've always liked the "sleeper" look. The design of the car is basically what I thought it would be. Though I have to admit, for a time I thought they might opt for a more dynamic front clip, ala Camaro. With Corvette and Camaro looking so dynamic, it would've been nice if they gave the SS a little more personality, especially as they've been touting the car as being a 4 door version of those models. But again, the look is fine and I don't believe they'll have any troubles selling the SS. If it came with a manual tranny, it would be on my short list. (And would probably be in my garage if the Chevy dealers don't go off the deep end with charging premiums for them.)

#12 ·
It looks like what it is. A VE with a new front and back and inside. Heaps of cool equipment and updated electronics. It's as much as they could do while retaining the passenger cell. The colour in the photos makes it look very bland. Teh Holden photos had far more presence. I'd wait to see it in the metal before judging it too harshly.

#125 ·
Agree entirely. Coulda been anything from just about any manufacturer. And that name, SS...I was expecting something more exciting to look at. Maybe Bel Air would've been better but the purists would have hated that. But how will the purists like this being called an SS?

#16 · (Edited)
Thaxx for the pitchers. I gave it a 3 because it's decidedly uninspired and under-mediocre.

I was at the Spok Auto Show today. There was a base/stick 19 grand Mitsu Lancer in a beautiful "cosmic blue" on display.
The Lancer is a handsome understated car, and they stand out when I see one every month or two on the road.

I'd give Lancer a 7 or so.

RE: the SS...the black plastic where there should be a big chrome bumper, what is THAT?

The 22 Pimp Wheels. Who the hell wants them?

Back to the drorring board, please!:fall:

#18 ·
ON LOOKS ALONE.

It gets a 2.

Commodore SS-V gets a 6. (Funny how a high impact color, gloss black accents and non grandpa chrome-like wheels can bump it up 4 points)

Calais gets a 4.

Charger SRT8 would get an 8.

My G8 GT would get a 6.

Taurus SHO would get a 4.

The only vehicles in my rating system to get 9's and 10's would be coupes.

#24 ·
I gave it a 5 because it's nothing special in the looks department, thanks to the front end. The Chrysler Sebring headlights or the grill that looks held on with double stick tape. This car has nothing besides the bowtie that represents the Chevy line up or brand. For as long as Chevy has tried to tug at the sentimental strings and bring back memories of the glory days.. this car was that chance and IMO, they blew it.

#25 · (Edited)
Exactly how I feel....the black plastic piece ruins the front end
Yep. Looks tacky...

I'll give this a 6, maybe a 7. It's the front end that brings the rating down here. It looks bland.. Cheap even. The rest is a nice car (somewhat BMW'ish which I love) and I love the idea behind it being here but the design in no way even compares to the new Impala. If you could put this SS drivetrain (with an AWD option) underneath the new Impala body, it would no doubt be the biggest selling car they've ever had. Really, that's what should have been done. A true proper Impala rwd/awd flagship. Especially since this new Impala looks so stunning! And it wouldn't be a rebadge job like this SS is either. Just a Genuine Chevrolet...

I dunno, I watched the race tonight and I just didn't get the 'gotta have it' feeling. It just looks like a 4 door Malibu with better design cues. Another car it could have been and made historical sense. Then they could have pulled a high hp Chevelle/Malibu line out of it. And the Malibu actually competes (or is supposed to) with the Fusion on the streets. Or had it be the Malibu SS which would be the rwd designation. Anything to make the whole deal make sense. Oh well...

#27 · (Edited)
Going in we knew that the styling was going to borrow heavenly from the other chevy models so I think it turned better than expected. It's not perfect but if you see this car passing by you will notice it. Oh and I gave it a 8. Nice controlled aggression.

#31 ·
I gave it a 1, since it looks awful compared to my G8.
LJ

#32 · (Edited)
Voted 1! Very disappointed with how conservative the styling is for a SS model!! The fact that no part of the lower grill is body color makes the front of the car look cheap!

#33 ·
im giving the SS a 8 based on the Holden SSV. The Holden version looks sharp and aggressive while the choice of colour and wheels on this makes it look akward. GM could have put a bit of effort in making a unique front facasia for the SS to make the bowtie fit because the bowtie looks odd. I can see people buying Holden badges for these when they come out like we buy bowties.

#38 ·
No, the Holden Commodore SSV does not look sharp. The only difference between the exteriors of the Commodore SSV and the Chevrolet SS is the Holden has the circle lion and the Chevy has the bowtie. The sides and rear of these cars are mediocre, but tolerable. The font end of the Holden Commodore SSV/Chevrolet SS is putrid.

You may correctly argue that Hyundai and Audi have featured similar flat black bumpers for years. The flat black bumper was a mistake when Hyundai did it. It was a mistake when Audi did it. It is still a mistake now that Holden and Chevrolet are doing it. Holden and Chevrolet have no excuse because they should have learned from the mistakes of their competitors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.