Pontiac, killed 10 years ago today - Page 8

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Pontiac, killed 10 years ago today

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 622 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Re: Pontiac, killed 10 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post

For the love of God PLEASE stop comparing the ancient, unsafe and outdated Panther platform to LX. FCA has updated the chassis twice and it's still modern enough to carry all the latest tech and safety features unlike the original Epsilon which wasn't design for built in Navigation or the W-Body which never drove that well to begin with. You're reaching sweetie.
    You know, what's interesting about vehicle platforms is that they're a lot like personal computers.

A PC from the last 4-7 years can still get the job done quite nicely but back in the 90s a computer was good for just 6-12 months before it was obsolete.

Tech has matured to a point where major updates are less necessary than before and the LX is currently in its sweet spot.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-01-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-01-2019),richmond2000 (05-02-2019),ryannel2003 (05-01-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 682 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

I'm definitely anxiously awaiting the next gen Chargers and Challengers though, it's starting to approach the end of keeping excitement alive. Chally is down 25% April 2019, 4,422 from 5,892, understandably so. FCA has been impressive in trickling down lessons learned during a product life cycle, I'm hoping they apply this same hotrodder type philosophy in the next generation while keeping their good stylists. If that's the case, I can nearly guarantee I'll be a next gen Challenger owner.

And looks like FCA is going to quarterly reporting now too unfortunately.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 540 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post
    I'm definitely anxiously awaiting the next gen Chargers and Challengers though, it's starting to approach the end of keeping excitement alive. Chally is down 25% April 2019, 4,422 from 5,892, understandably so. FCA has been impressive in trickling down lessons learned during a product life cycle, I'm hoping they apply this same hotrodder type philosophy in the next generation while keeping their good stylists. If that's the case, I can nearly guarantee I'll be a next gen Challenger owner.

And looks like FCA is going to quarterly reporting now too unfortunately.
    The original plan was to switch to an Alfa chassis but from what I'm hearing now it's going to be a heavily reworked LX chassis that will drop the 3.6 and 5.7 for the 2.0 Hurricane turbo 4 and the new Inline-6 that's also going into the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.

Either way it's going to come no earlier than 2022 as they won't introduce a Widebody Charger for a single model year.
    2018 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop (Plum Crazy Purple)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 1,349 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The original plan was to switch to an Alfa chassis but from what I'm hearing now it's going to be a heavily reworked LX chassis that will drop the 3.6 and 5.7 for the 2.0 Hurricane turbo 4 and the new Inline-6 that's also going into the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.
    I guess another revision of the LX/LY chassis is fine as long as it meets the goals of the ride/handling, power/performance, & FE departments (& various others). Plus it will save money on R&D, which might be the driving force behind refining the current chassis over adapting it to the Guilia chassis. Side note, Allpar has said that FCA is testing the I6 with a turbo on it.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

ryannel2003 (05-01-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Pontiac shouldn't have been a full line automaker during this period...GM was hemorrhaging money, all they were becoming were Chevrolets w/ red gauges and vertical split grilles and some of the ugliest seats I've ever seen. That was a time for GM to consolidate and focus brands, leave Chevrolet/Cadillac to be full line automakers and use PBG to fill in the middle w/ niche vehicles to add in performance (Pontiac), near luxury (Buick), & whatever the hell w/ GMC.

Pontiac would still be alive today had they just pared down and focused on the Solstice, Grand Prix (a named G8), and maybe the G6 Coupe, and sold in a dealership integrated w/ Buick and GMC.
    To answer your question, bad product and exectution killed Pontiac. And remember, at one time GM had over 60% of the domestic market. Pontiac being a full line automaker makes sense that context. Too many see Pontiac near the end of its life as a niche "sports" line, and frankly looking at today CUV crazed market, Pontiac would not have survived in that guise either, even part of B-GMC dealerships.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information