Pontiac, killed 10 years ago today - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac, killed 10 years ago today

09W
    Thanks

Re: Pontiac, killed 10 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    ...if DeLorean had stuck it out in the stifling bureaucracy that was and is General Motors, who knows where they'd be now?
    It wasn't 'stifling' when DeLorean was there, hence Pontiac being 3rd in the U.S. and GM hovering around 50% of the market & fighting anti-trust efforts. I mean- there's your proof.
    The 1970s were a true momentum killer/target shifter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 566 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

There is a HUGE misunderstanding when it comes to the LX cars. If you all go check out some articles on Allpar you'll see when Chrysler was designing the original LH chassis back in the early 90's for Intrepid, Vision and Concorde it was also adaptable enough they could make it RWD. Daimler had some influence on the chassis no doubt but hearing people saying it was a full Mercedes design is straight up wrong.

https://www.allpar.com/history/inter...-brown-lx.html

"Rear-wheel drive cars had gotten started before the Mercedes deal [in 1998; the 300M appeared in 1999], but that really put a fire under them, because Mercedes, is very much rear-wheel drive."
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

377Z (04-29-2019),canadian.bacon (04-30-2019),gkr778 (04-29-2019),jesda1 (04-28-2019),richmond2000 (04-30-2019),rockyspaw (04-28-2019),sdotjeezy (04-28-2019),The Handler (04-29-2019),Z284ever (04-29-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Solstice, 17 MKZ, 17 Encore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    I made a mistake I liked the G4 (sort of I) it was the G3 that was the other turd I forgot (I see one every month,albeit it's the same one).
    What's a G4?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 518 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by longislander View Post
    What's a G4?
    I'm assuming he meant the G5
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by longislander View Post
    What's a G4?
    G4/G5 both Cobalt...the nomenclature was dependent upon if it were north or central American.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-30-2019),rockyspaw (04-29-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,431 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    G4/G5 both Cobalt...the nomenclature was dependent upon if it were north or central American.
    In Canada, it was called the Pontiac Pursuit.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (04-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 739 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    The promise from some at GM at the time was, with Pontiac gone, it would give Chevrolet the opportunity to offer more performane and sporty models. Still waiting.
    LOL. You will be waiting for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Pontiac died long before 10 years ago. Pontiac was dead the moment they became merely Chevys with twin kidney grilles.
    True.

The only late Pontiacs that had something were the G8 and Solstice.
    Last edited by kool1; 04-29-2019 at 08:00 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-29-2019),sdotjeezy (04-29-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,652 Times in 2,369 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    LOL. You will be waiting for a very long time.
    Exactly considering their mantra is supposedly "affordable every man's car" these daze. At least that's what I've read and heard anyway.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

[I]

Alas, it was not to be. For want of a nail, a shoe was lost...

I see that's attributed to Franklin. Who knows the real story?
    “For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
    For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
    For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
    For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
    For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
    And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

― Benjamin Franklin
    I have a nail in my tire so I'm good, right?
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,579 Times in 4,576 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    I have a nail in my tire so I'm good, right?
    You are good to go, my friend.

Funny, speaking of lost battles. It was a nail in a tire that led to my dx'ing Discount Tire and moving over to Tireman. Long story (and wait) short, DT has kept me waiting for at least two hours on two different occasions with nary a "Hey, we're on you next, Bud!" or even a "Screw off we hate our customers!"

The guy behind the counter told me I didn't have an appointment. They would get to me when they got to me. We're very busy.

I said I DID have an appointment. What, you think I just come in here to hang out with cool homies like you?

So goodbye to 10+ years of very good business from one customer you didn't give a damn about.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scott3 View Post
    Sorry but Pontiac died long before most of you just don’t understand what a real Pontiac was.
    True. It it's last years, badge engineering in it's most egregious form, misbegotten GTO, horrendous Aztek, little support for G8. Pontiac walked away from the "Driving Excitement heritage and paid the price. I can speak with some credibility as over the years I owned 14 new Pontiacs including 1966 and 1968 GTOs, 1971 Grand Prix SJ, 1989 Trans Am, 1993 Bonneville SSEi.....and lesser models like Fiero, Grandville, Montana, , etc. And at the time I lived in Pontiac Michigan.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

377Z (04-29-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

You are good to go, my friend.

Funny, speaking of lost battles. It was a nail in a tire that led to my dx'ing Discount Tire and moving over to Tireman. Long story (and wait) short, DT has kept me waiting for at least two hours on two different occasions with nary a "Hey, we're on you next, Bud!" or even a "Screw off we hate our customers!"

The guy behind the counter told me I didn't have an appointment. They would get to me when they got to me. We're very busy.

I said I DID have an appointment. What, you think I just come in here to hang out with cool homies like you?

So goodbye to 10+ years of very good business from one customer you didn't give a damn about.
    I can relate. Right after Pomp's opened in CR I took my car there with a slowly leaking tire. They acted like I was getting in their way. Very unfriendly. Several years later I decided to give them a second chance. Same exact results. They won't get a third chance.

How does this story relate to the dead Pontiac thread? I was driving a Pontiac. I think.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    It wasn't 'stifling' when DeLorean was there, hence Pontiac being 3rd in the U.S. and GM hovering around 50% of the market & fighting anti-trust efforts. I mean- there's your proof.
    The 1970s were a true momentum killer/target shifter.
    DeLorean left when he was King Of The Hill and going nowhere but to be King Of A Higher Hill because, from what I've read, he couldn't take the suits any more.

GM has been a club for decades. The execs typically came from certain towns, they went to the right school, they all belong to the same country club, they all drive GM cars nothing else nothing ever. There's a story of DeLorean coming into the shop in a Ferrari one Saturday and saying I need to borrow a Bonneville, I'm giving a talk to other GM guys tonight, I can't show in anything but GM.

This has been a chronic issue at GM. As it's been at Ford. What do you think Mulally did when he had free reign with the hatchet at Ford? He chopped down Inside Sports dead wood that was there because of clique relationships, not amazing ability or success.

That is the story of ANY bureaucracy. It's the life cycle of a bureaucracy.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

377Z (04-29-2019),gkr778 (04-29-2019),richmond2000 (04-30-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    I can relate. Right after Pomp's opened in CR I took my car there with a slowly leaking tire. They acted like I was getting in their way. Very unfriendly. Several years later I decided to give them a second chance. Same exact results. They won't get a third chance.

How does this story relate to the dead Pontiac thread? I was driving a Pontiac. I think.
    Ignore your customers and their wishes, and they will go elsewhere. I believe that's a quote from Ivan the Terrible. Or perhaps his great grandson, Ivan the Not-So-Bad.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-29-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    There is a HUGE misunderstanding when it comes to the LX cars. If you all go check out some articles on Allpar you'll see when Chrysler was designing the original LH chassis back in the early 90's for Intrepid, Vision and Concorde it was also adaptable enough they could make it RWD. Daimler had some influence on the chassis no doubt but hearing people saying it was a full Mercedes design is straight up wrong.

https://www.allpar.com/history/inter...-brown-lx.html

"Rear-wheel drive cars had gotten started before the Mercedes deal [in 1998; the 300M appeared in 1999], but that really put a fire under them, because Mercedes, is very much rear-wheel drive."
    Thanks for posting this...the usual suspects will probably gloss over it and continue the same 'ol trope of it being an "old Mercedes platform".

I read an earlier post claiming that the Dodge sold well because its on an old platform?!?!?! Doesn't make much sense to me...So the narrative is shifting to now a car sells well because it's on an old platform? I thought that people were more likely to buy a car if it had the latest and greatest architecture. I guess that's how you think when you're trying to play both sides of an argument just so you and your team can claim to be right. The fact of the matter is that the LX cars sell well in-spite-of their "ancient" underpinnings because to most, it doesn't matter how old the platform is as long as the car accomplishes it's intended mission.

Dodge dying because the Durango is shifting to Ram? Last I checked all 4 brands (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram) are sold out of the same dealership across the nation. All brands have a focus, so I don't equate focus w/ dying...I call it having a clear vision for each brand...I know, what a concept.

As far as a new Charger coming in 2020, personally...I think it'll be 2022 at the earliest, there's supposed to be a Charger ScatPack/SRT-392/Hellcat widebody coming later this year so I figure they'd at least keep the LX around for another 2 years.

With that said, this X-mas...it'll be a competition for by $$$s between the CT5 and a Plum Crazy 392 ScatPack Charger Widebody...may the best car win.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 04-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

377Z (04-29-2019),richmond2000 (04-30-2019),ryannel2003 (04-29-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information