(new pics) Should Volt have been like this?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (new pics) Should Volt have been like this?

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

(new pics) Should Volt have been like this?

Should Volt
    have been like this?

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
    GMI Contributor – 8 April 2012

Below is my Chevy Voltage chop, which I made from toning down the bulges of the Transformer’s Corvette Concept and plonking the 4-door cabin from the Fisker Karma into it’s middle. I could have used say an Old’s Aurora cabin as easily, but the Karma makes my point better.

Click to Enlarge

God bless Bob Lutz, but he made an error right at the beginning of the Volt program because GM was too focussed on the Toyota Prius. And because of that, they chose to base Volt on the Delta platform; that was the error.

History tells us that expensive new technology moves into the automotive market by first appearing in expensive desirable vehicles and then trickling down to the mass market. This way the bitter pill of the cost associated with it is mitigated by the spoon full of sugar; which is the sexiness and desirability of those expensive vehicles.

To my eyes the Fisker Karma is a very attractive vehicle, and I would go further and say that my Chevy Voltage chop is even hotter, because it uses to good effect the styling that GM Design has available to it. Had Bob decided not to go against history and went the Fisker Karma route, then the Volt on sale today could easily look like the Chevrolet Voltage. And at $70,000 I bet they would be selling way more than the current Volt is; and dealers would be clamouring to get one on their forecourt. Sex sells. Even if you like the look of the Volt, it is not sexy.

It is also a lot harder to make a value proposition case for a $20K car having $10K of Voltec technology and a $10K battery pack added, thus selling for $40K, than to add that same $20K to a $50K car and selling it for $70K.

GM should have taken the aluminium frame of the Corvette Z06, stretched it to a 4-door, plonked in the Turbo Ecotec mated to the 2-Mode transmission, clothed it in a body like my Chevy Voltage made of carbon fibre, and stuffed it full of batteries. That would have gotten them 90% there to having a Fisker Karma competitor that people would genuinely desire and clamour for.

To deal with Toyota’s Prius they should have simply offered the Chevy Cruze with a range of eAssist hybrids and a plug-in version.

So what do others feel? Is the Chevy Volt package the best way to sell America on electrification of the automobile, or has Fisker with it's sexy and stylish Karma and new Atlantic found the better way to sell the idea to America? And then let the technology get cheaper with time until it's eventually within everyone's price range?

Click to Enlarge

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    I'm thinking that something in between your rather exotic looking render, MonaroSS, and the current staid and stodgy looking Volt might have hit the sweet spot. Your render is a bit swoopy for what the car is.

And yes, the Cadillac can afford to be more exotic looking, and should have been first with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that GM should have had both a Cadillac and Chevrolet version but not on Delta but on the SWB Epsilon II. The advantage of more real estate would have made for a much better looking car in back -- I think the front end is fine, in fact I find it quite handsome.

Perhaps SWB EP would have given more options, more room so batteries didn't eat the fifth seat, and justified the price.....

And even allowed a Sportwagon....

Also, at least I would have done a few things differently with the current car. First, the black paint and black plastic were a halfhearted effort to placate the loss of the original concept lower side window step. Offer it as an option but offer all one-color like below as well. And offer optional larger wheels as below for those who want to dress their Volt up in a little more sporting fashion. Those are no-brainer small cost and could be done right now.

On the technology front I would have co-developed and co-released a half-range half-size battery pack model that restored the third rear seat. That model would be $5,000 cheaper.

I would also have co-developed and co-released a turbo-diesel version not just for Europe but the US as well; and offer it in both the full and half range models. I would market it as the ‘bio-diesel-electric’ model. It would appeal even more to the 'green' buyers. Even if GM had to install and sell bio-diesel from their own fuel pumps in the major markets, they could say that a few bio-diesel pumps is all that’s needed - as you fill up a Volt so rarely…

The Opel Ampera already had the lower panels white, but here I've deleted the black paint as well...

Last edited by MonaroSS; 04-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: Should Volt have been like this?

Fact of the matter is, Volt should have been the second car launched. Cadillac ELR should have launched first.

I know why GM thought Chevy should have launched first, but GM is struggling with cost and ROI and is trying to force down the price. You wouldn't have that problem with ELR. If it launched at $55-60,000, it would have undercut Fisker and Tesla by thousands. It would have gotten instant recognition from influential people. And I'm willing to bet, it would have recovered more on the investment too. Then 2 years later, Volt can launch at a lower price point.

The Voltage is a nice idea. The design is nice. But Karma is a luxury brand. THis should be a Cadillac.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The Fisker is a better looking car for sure, making the Volt look as good would be great if it could have been done at no extra cost, but I seriously doubt it. The biggest problem with the Volt now is its price, making it more expensive would make it that much harder to sell. As people get a chance to spend some time behind the wheel of a Volt they will realize what it is that makes it the highest rated car in customer satisfication and that isn't the body, but its the surperb Voltec drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    AMERICAN

Nice, easily your best image. Being rwd and with those vette rwd offset wheels definitely looks good.
    Missing one detail, how does the front bumper go on? (and the hood for that matter).
    I fully agree that the ELR should definitely have come first before the volt.
    I do think that gm designed the volt as it should be.

think of someone that you consider to be of average intelligence...
    half the worlds population is stupider than that person.

I own and drive classics, check them here:
    Hidden Content

GMi RIA concept cars i designed:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC thebuickguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Um terrible Idea, I'm a performance man myself but we must realize that performance doesn't sell like it use to, that's why the egg heads at the old GM made the volt a purely econo car sure many of us have said it should have been anything but a Chevrolet due to cost of the car, but in the end run the volt is the right car for the future, and maybe down the road the time will come when a performance car based off the volt will come. Until then remember GM was on death's door step and the company had to sell not only the car but the company itself.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FBODYRULES View Post
    Nice, easily your best image. Being rwd and with those vette rwd offset wheels definitely looks good.
    Missing one detail, how does the front bumper go on?
    I fully agree that the ELR should definitely have come first before the volt.
    I do think that gm designed the volt as it should be.
    Good question. Below are the two pics I used and the GM Design team must have made the front in one part, as I can't see a join. I guess a small cut-line similar to the Fisker would be the way to go...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Pedal 2 Metal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Toyota Matrix XRS

At the very least they could have done this. Most of it has already been fabricated for the Ampera. You'd think GM would put a bit more effort into their halo car!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Only if GM wanted to price it way more out of range than it already is.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebuickguy View Post
    Um terrible Idea, I'm a performance man myself but we must realize that performance doesn't sell like it use to, that's why the egg heads at the old GM made the volt a purely econo car sure many of us have said it should have been anything but a Chevrolet due to cost of the car, but in the end run the volt is the right car for the future, and maybe down the road the time will come when a performance car based off the volt will come. Until then remember GM was on death's door step and the company had to sell not only the car but the company itself.
    I'm not necessarily saying it has to be a performance car, but the more it can look like a million dollars, the more perceived value people will believe they are getting.

The higher the price point of similar vehicles the easier it is to absorb the Voltec technology cost into the price of the car. I simply believe GM over-reached too soon. Many of us falsely believe that those who lead the way with technology proper the most from it, but that is often not the case. History is littered with companies that spent all the money and put in the hard graft to forge a new path only to have others come in afterwards and cut their lunch...

There is nothing wrong with the Volt per se, I just think its half a decade ahead of its sweet spot. GM should have led the way in with a more premium vehicle, be it something like this Chevy Voltage, or a Caddy…

Last edited by MonaroSS; 04-09-2012 at 01:33 AM.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    Only if GM wanted to price it way more out of range than it already is.
    But it would not be more out of range of the people who would then buy it. GM are not going to sell lots of Volts, and they will lose money on every one they sell. So they should have made a more expensive vehicle that they don't need to sell lots of, and lose less on each sale - or maybe break even on...

Thanks

I saw a Fisker going do the street about a week ago and was shocked it look good from the rear but once on the side it is ill formed because of the stretched front. As for the question at hand.....NO! the Volt looks good and will look even better as the ELR!
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

Thanks
    My Ride
    Buick !

Ed Welburn says that the design team that did not win the Camaro design contest were used to design the Volt ... so the losing team got stuck designing this car and it shows.

And yes it the Volt technology should have been put in a Cadillac first.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

You can chare more for a better looking car, and that is one of the problems with Volt. It doesn't look like an expensive car, and it's a Chevrolet, and it's cramped and small. This combines to suggest that it isn't an expensive car. But the price says expensive or moderately expensive.
    Think what other vehicles you can buy for $40,000, and are they more desirable than Volt? Yes.
    A Cadillac version of Volt would have partially answered the attractiveness issue and could more easily justify the price, but as is, the Volt is an expensive car that doesn't look expensive

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

I think if you made a 4 door Corvette it would only make the Corvette customers made. They would not want a car like the Volt that looks like their performance car unless the Voltage model was just as high of performance which would cause it to have the same issues the Karma has, unimpressive fuel economy. I think this technology will most appeal to those that want to avoid using gas and like the latest technology, not to performance car enthusiasts, at least not as much.

In the end this technology will never be successful unless it can be sold as a mainstream car. Maybe the ELR should have been first, that can easily be argued, but the Prius is the most successful alternate powertrain car and the technology started out at the Toyota, not Lexus, level.

Also, it is impossible to measure the showroom traffic the Volt has brought into the showroom and led to the success of the Cruze, Malibu, etc. I would argue that might have had a bigger impact than if it were a Cadillac. MonaroSS, I do appreciate your ideas but I just don't fully agree with this one. Beautiful car anyway.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 670 Posts

I'm thinking that something in between your rather exotic looking render, MonaroSS, and the current staid and stodgy looking Volt might have hit the sweet spot. Your render is a bit swoopy for what the car is.

And yes, the Cadillac can afford to be more exotic looking, and should have been first with this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information