My Chevy SS M6, Day Two. - Page 14

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: My Chevy SS M6, Day Two.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,040 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: My Chevy SS M6, Day Two.

Quote Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
    Wow, I missed this!

Congrats on the purchase, Charlie! I was torn between two choices: 1. Sell my thirdgen and get an SS 6 speed or 2. Keep the thirdgen and get a Silverado. Transient lifestyle means any additional car had to tow. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right call, especially when my thirdgen's brakes catch fire as the b-pillar cracks and the TPI wheezes through the twisties... on a serious note, though, it would be nice to put a child's seat in the back of the cruise night car. Yes, thirdgens have backseats, but they are small and I'd like to keep the original cloth nice.

I saw one just like yours at a dealership with a 6-speed. It felt really nice inside. The one thing that surprised me was it didn't feel as big inside as the exterior would suggest. In fact, it felt almost a hair tighter than the C6 I used to have. I'm not sure whether there's any truth to this or it's perception from the highly bolstered seats coupled with a more forward b-pillar common to sedans. I've driven a G8 GXP 6-speed and it was a lot of fun, so I imagine this is like an even better version of that.

I like the looks, but I think that's because I envision them with a wedge spoiler on the high banks of an oval...

Factory exhaust sounds great - heard one at a car show. But before you discredit the aftermarket, at least listen to a Corsa. They nail their exhausts for GM V8s.

You mention the M5 as the only alternative... I wouldn't even put the M5 in the discussion. New BMWs exemplify the snowball of technological complexity that is the enemy of enthusiast-oriented cars. There may be a V8 and a 6 speed tucked somewhere underneath all that extra stuff, but can we be sure? M235i 6-speed seems really interesting, though, until you price one out!
    Thanks Kurt! I also considered an M2351 with a 6 speed. They are a bit pricey, but no more so than an SS. $3240 however, for a limited slip differential is kinda crazy. In the end though, I really wanted a V8 and a stick.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 11-28-2015 at 01:48 AM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Thanks for that comprehensive comparison with the CTS. The first gen CTS-V is such a nice, clean looking sport sedan. I still love them. If I could find one with ultra low miles, I'd probably pop for it, diff issues and engine mounts not withstanding.

Are you satisfied with the feel and action of the shifter in the SS?

Disappointing to hear about interior noises. That was my #2 complaint with my GTOs, after the differential problems. Creaks, squeaks, pops. That started at very low mileage (under 10,000). A nice looking/feeling interior that wasn't designed well in terms of mounting points, rub concerns, clearances.

The SS is still on my short list for next year.
    Current rides:
    2018 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT, 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briandors View Post
    Thanks for that comprehensive comparison with the CTS. The first gen CTS-V is such a nice, clean looking sport sedan. I still love them. If I could find one with ultra low miles, I'd probably pop for it, diff issues and engine mounts not withstanding.

Are you satisfied with the feel and action of the shifter in the SS?

Disappointing to hear about interior noises. That was my #2 complaint with my GTOs, after the differential problems. Creaks, squeaks, pops. That started at very low mileage (under 10,000). A nice looking/feeling interior that wasn't designed well in terms of mounting points, rub concerns, clearances.

The SS is still on my short list for next year.
    You're welcome. Very satisfied with the shifter.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,138 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    It IS silly that there's no Homelink! WTF?! And that left bolster issue sounds terrible. But I still love the car. If it had a little more power I'd actually be driving a Chevy. I haven't driven a Chevy since 1995.
    Sal, you could have them bolt on a ZR1 supercharger right onto this motor with warranty at your local and friendly Chevrolet dealer

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Did great Cort. I would have had a really tough time today, without the Sotozeros.
    Good ... figured as such. I'd hate to see that SS damaged!

Course, now, with the warmer temps, that snow is mostly gone. I didn't get a chance to venture out at all in it ... lol.

Cort www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
    pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
    "It's snowing in the pines" __ Alabama __ 'Christmas In Dixie'

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    I don't know if GM uses the same rearview mirror mounting hardware across all theire brands, but if they do, adding an autodimming rearview with homelink is easy. I retrofitted a Gentex Autodimming Homelink mirror into my GTP. It used the same mounting hardware as stock, so it was a simple replacement. Just had to splice the wiring harness in.

If Gentex OEM is too much $$$, you can get get one of the aftermarket ones, for a 350Z for example, because Nissan uses the same mounting hardware as GM did for my Pontiac...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a_v_s View Post
    I don't know if GM uses the same rearview mirror mounting hardware across all theire brands, but if they do, adding an autodimming rearview with homelink is easy. I retrofitted a Gentex Autodimming Homelink mirror into my GTP. It used the same mounting hardware as stock, so it was a simple replacement. Just had to splice the wiring harness in.

If Gentex OEM is too much $$$, you can get get one of the aftermarket ones, for a 350Z for example, because Nissan uses the same mounting hardware as GM did for my Pontiac...
    Thanks. Good tip. Not really a big deal for me though, I was just surprised it didn't have one. I just took a remote out of one of my 3rd gen Camaros and open the garage door "old school" style.

Thanks

Since I rediscovered this thread, figured I'd update.

Just put Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS all season tires on. I think I'll drive on them year round. The OEM summer Bridgestones were great....in the dry and when over 40 degrees. My Pirelli Sotozero winter tires were awesome in the cold and snow, but started getting less sure footed by this last, third winter.

Thanks
    I really wanted to avoid buying another 2 sets of very expensive tires if I could help it.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,044 Times in 2,336 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Friggin tires have got outrageous lately. Surprised me how much they've jumped since I replaced them on my GTO.

Thanks

Yeah, these Potenzas were over a thousand bucks, installed.

Thanks

BTW, I still think whoever worked on the 2015 exhaust note, nailed it! I did hear the '16-'17 dual mode exhaust. Too quiet when it's quiet, too loud when it's loud.

I'd rather have mine.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,008 Times in 3,820 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Since I rediscovered this thread, figured I'd update.

Just put Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS all season tires on. I think I'll drive on them year round. The OEM summer Bridgestones were great....in the dry and when over 40 degrees. My Pirelli Sotozero winter tires were awesome in the cold and snow, but started getting less sure footed by this last, third winter.
    Are those 19s or 20s? And staggered also, right?

My BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S get pretty good winter ratings so I thought I'd ride on them once winter weather hit, and see how they did. They didn't.

Once you're run winter tires you're--or at least I'm--ruined for all-seasons in winter. We never ran winter tires until we moved to the inland NW and the numerous unplowed roads got packed and turned to ice, and all-seasons were helpless.

I bought some Bridgestone REVO1, those were the most amazing winter tires I've ever had. On any slick surface those were like driving on dry pavement. I ran them well into the summer because they also made my Impala ride like a Caddy. Or a Bentley. Whatever.

I currently run 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80 for winter.

Good luck with the HP Bridgestones, we'll be waiting for your report come winter in Chicagoland.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-12-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

My RE050's are about shot now, 31k miles but I run blizzaks in the winter months so probably about 20k miles on them if that. Going to go with the new Pilot Super Sports to replace them.

Also just put ARH longtubes on last weekend for some more aural bliss.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Are those 19s or 20s? And staggered also, right?

My BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S get pretty good winter ratings so I thought I'd ride on them once winter weather hit, and see how they did. They didn't.

Once you're run winter tires you're--or at least I'm--ruined for all-seasons in winter. We never ran winter tires until we moved to the inland NW and the numerous unplowed roads got packed and turned to ice, and all-seasons were helpless.

I bought some Bridgestone REVO1, those were the most amazing winter tires I've ever had. On any slick surface those were like driving on dry pavement. I ran them well into the summer because they also made my Impala ride like a Caddy. Or a Bentley. Whatever.

I currently run 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80 for winter.

Good luck with the HP Bridgestones, we'll be waiting for your report come winter in Chicagoland.
    19's and staggered. The new tires are rated for light snow, so we'll see in about 6 months.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information