Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...1/2 of US manufactures moving supply chain out of China - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...1/2 of US manufactures moving supply chain out of China

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,725 Times in 2,415 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary.... 1/2 of US manufactures moving supply chain out of

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    White House trade policy adviser Peter Navarro said Wednesday the administration was planning a new "buy American" executive order intended to decrease U.S. reliance on Chinese-produced medicine and supplies. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said at a congressional hearing last month that a key problem in responding to the virus was that medical supply chains "are very much globalized and entwined with China" and that the current crisis should serve as a wake-up call.

It's a #1 national security matter that ALL pharmaceuticals be produced in the USA. This should be obvious to anyone over six years old.

The Davos crowd is New World Order types. Patriotism is essentially neanderthal thinking in their limited minds.

Unfortunately "patriotism" was replaced long ago by "greed" and "progressive, modern thinking" which saw the US as the bad player, China as the good player on the world stage, and that China would and should replace the US as THE world power as nothing but good. That's what's being taught in the schools. I remember way back when, I'd run into teachers and perfessers who equated communism and republic-based capitalism. Essentially equal, very similar. Usually communism was seen more favorably.
    I recall a 7th grade geography or civics teacher stating unequivocally that by 1980 Brazil would replace the US as THE most advanced and powerful nation in the world.

What of 75 years of Pax Americana? Meh! Anybody could have done that. RWR fell short of stopping this slide, Poopy Bush was a China-lover who was a "pragmatist," his successor/BFF was cheap and easy to purchase...on and on it goes.

Former president instrumental in developing Sino-American relations

DOMINIC FAULDER, Associate Editor, Nikkei Asian Review
    DECEMBER 01, 2018 23:20 JST
    BANGKOK -- "He was a very good friend of China," said Terry Branstad, the U.S. ambassador in Beijing, when news arrived of the death of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush on Friday.

People who revere God and Country are seen as primitive, dimwitted, throwback hicks who will eventually die off. And the world will be a better place when modern minds completely dominate.

As I've said about "the inevitable electrical revolution" that's been mandated by The Wise Ones in Washington, Bruxels, Peking, and other thought-leading shipping containers, mandated Central Planning revolutions in thinking, industry, and transportation typically are train wrecks. Unforeseeable bumps in the road to All Lektrik All The Time are there, and they could well be encountered at high speed.

The Model T Revolution was genius- and consumer-driven. There are relatively very few geniuses, and consumers--other than consumers who've been convinced or brainwashed into thinking so--who are pushing hard for the fantastic electric car zerozerozero revolution. Not to say that electrics don't have their supporters and enthusiasts.
    I think favorably of electric vehicles every time I get behind a diesel bus or truck, or an old beater that burns oil or spews raw gas fumes out its stinky tube.

If these geniuses had just let the market evolve naturally it would be a different matter. But like all elites with above-average to high IQs, they just aren't very bright. And they're not bright or humble enough to ever figure that out.
    Good points. I find it dang sad, disgusting, and stupid as to what has been going on for so long here in the US and that it finally takes an issue as this to bring them back to reality.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 645 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Re: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...1/2 of US manufactures moving supply chain out of Ch

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo...M#2da555ff5298

Another one for Mary and the BoD to consider. I mean the Chicoms would have screwed you in the end anyway, that's how they do business.
    "Mexico is the best positioned to take advantage of the long term geopolitical rift between the U.S. and China. It is the only low cost border country with a free trade deal with the United States, so there you have it."

Makes sense. I have no problem with a bunch of Walmart stuff coming from Mexico rather than China.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-15-2020),CJH (03-17-2020),DequindreToo (03-15-2020),Extreme4x4 (04-06-2020),wallus13 (03-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,302 Times in 4,553 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary.... 1/2 of US manufactures moving supply chain out of

That was pretty stupid. I guess in all of their Communist totalitarianism, this sort of arrogance is acceptable. Not here though.

I stopped shaking hands in my professional setting this week. It's weird for me.
    Same here, butting elbows seems kind of comical. I saw something that was funny, but probably a better way of doing it is the Mr. Spock "live long and prosper" hand sign. I was going to post a picture, but this site makes it needlessly hard to do that....

The commies are trying to play hard with a relatively weak hand and will pay a price in the long term. They have a strong hand today, they'd kill us if they cut us off, but they'll kill their own economy. Long term they guaranteed that they'll loose manufacturing, they must think their silk road plan will really work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

CJH (03-17-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...1/2 of US manufactures moving supply chain out of Ch

Totally agree. Re-organizing supply and manufacturing chains through say, Mexico, (and others) vs China is the whole point here. I think it's safe to say that Mexico is the US choice.
    Though I'd say spread the wealth in Central America, don't become totally reliant on Mexico. Though a longer supply chain, I'd say set up manufacturing even south of Mexico.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM needs to get out of its Chinese JV's and control its own destiny in China. I hope Mother gets it.

There is lack of patriotism in the Davos crowd
    While fully agree with the sentiment, I think GM needs the JVs in order to do business in China. I remember being on a plane with Bob Lutz discussing this. His fear was that it was just a matter of time before the Chinese forced GM out of the JVs.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumpole For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (03-20-2020),buildacariwant (03-16-2020),eklauss (03-17-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I think this Coronavirus pandemic is going to make a lot of permanent changes to the way the world works and how we interact with each other. Will we go back to handshakes? Clearly China is in long term trouble, especially making threats to cut off our supply of medicine. That was a really stupid tact to use, short term it might work as we have no choice but long term this will ensure we move production out of China. Everyone was already nervous about China having to much power, this just proved everyone's fears were well founded.

Offices that were previously reluctant to let people work from home will now see that it can work and perhaps make it a permanent thing. As I mentioned, will we go back to handshakes. Stores are cutting hours, will some find being open less hours results in no change in sales and make shorter hours, say on Sunday or weekdays permanent? Be really interesting to see how things change. Either way, our politicians better not forget this Chinese threat - if anything comes out of this is that production either needs to move out of China voluntarily, and if American manufacturers don't want to do in on their own, then we need legislation to force them out.
    Think we are going to see a lot more manufacturing move back into the U.S.A. than anyone thinks.

Why?

Technology, Environment and Logistics

If you are going to spend the money to move out of China, you are better off moving production back to the U.S.A. than any other country, the latest technology enables companies to reduce direct labor substantially and to the point it is a significantly lower percentage of total costs than it ever has been. Secondly it reduces the very costly "indirect" (administrative) costs to near zero since the latest CRM packages efficiently monitor and autonomously manage companies "Administrative and Sales" information. Third, having plants in their "local" markets drastically reduces logistical costs and nearly eliminates the need for inventory (many forget that long line of "inventory" sucking the life out of you distribution budget while it is literally on that "slow boat from China"). Fourth, less transportation results in substantially less fuel being required to move product to market which results in lower emissions. Finally the U.S.A. is the most environmentally responsible large industrial country for production and will more energy being produced with renewable sources, the environmental impact is further reduced.

Same goes for Agricultural products were "Locally Grown" and "Organic" are nearly mandatory in order to sell to Millenials.

The real "Game Changer" will prove to be pharmaceuticals, there will be an outrage from the U.S. public and it seems that maybe the administration has been right on this all along....

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-15-2020),BlackGTP (03-15-2020),buildacariwant (03-16-2020),DequindreToo (03-15-2020),eklauss (03-17-2020),Extreme4x4 (04-06-2020),Neanderthal (03-16-2020),Syclone478 (03-16-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Mexico indeed. The biggest problems there are that the criminal enterprise is not only a corrupt government but the hyper-powerful drug cartels. Can they EVER get a handle on those people? China makes the drugs, ships to Mexico, they get smuggled into the USA where 60,000 die per year of ODs. Yet we're on lockdown for a virus that isn't even a rounding error?

This virus looks like the/an unforeseen bump in the road to Electric Nirvana. Stuff happens that cannot be predicted. The markets handle this better than governments.

Putting all your eggs in the China/Electric basket is something any 10-year-old from 40 years ago could have told you was dumb dumb dumb.
    I don't think they are putting all of their eggs in one basket. Once Trump goes, either this year or in 4 years those EPA rules will be right back, no matter what party. Most 1st world countries are going towards either highly restrictive emissions from ICE or mandating electrics. I suspect GM is planning for a post Trump era and showing good foresight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-17-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Think we are going to see a lot more manufacturing move back into the U.S.A. than anyone thinks.

Why?

Technology, Environment and Logistics

If you are going to spend the money to move out of China, you are better off moving production back to the U.S.A. than any other country, the latest technology enables companies to reduce direct labor substantially and to the point it is a significantly lower percentage of total costs than it ever has been. Secondly it reduces the very costly "indirect" (administrative) costs to near zero since the latest CRM packages efficiently monitor and autonomously manage companies "Administrative and Sales" information. Third, having plants in their "local" markets drastically reduces logistical costs and nearly eliminates the need for inventory (many forget that long line of "inventory" sucking the life out of you distribution budget while it is literally on that "slow boat from China"). Fourth, less transportation results in substantially less fuel being required to move product to market which results in lower emissions. Finally the U.S.A. is the most environmentally responsible large industrial country for production and will more energy being produced with renewable sources, the environmental impact is further reduced.

Same goes for Agricultural products were "Locally Grown" and "Organic" are nearly mandatory in order to sell to Millenials.

The real "Game Changer" will prove to be pharmaceuticals, there will be an outrage from the U.S. public and it seems that maybe the administration has been right on this all along....
    Very true! Those industries that can capitalize on such tech will look in the USA! As long as there are enough engineers and other higher level people that can monitor such equipment.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I think this Coronavirus pandemic is going to make a lot of permanent changes to the way the world works and how we interact with each other. Will we go back to handshakes? Clearly China is in long term trouble, especially making threats to cut off our supply of medicine. That was a really stupid tact to use, short term it might work as we have no choice, but long term this will ensure we move production out of China. Everyone was already nervous about China having to much power, this just proved everyone's fears were well founded.

Offices that were previously reluctant to let people work from home will now see that it can work and perhaps make it a permanent thing. As I mentioned, will we go back to handshakes? Stores are cutting hours, will some find being open less hours results in no change in sales and make shorter hours, say on Sunday or weekdays permanent? Be really interesting to see how things change. Either way, our politicians better not forget this Chinese threat - if anything comes out of this is that production either needs to move out of China voluntarily, and if American manufacturers don't want to do in on their own, then we need legislation to force them out.
    that would be a good way of having trade embargoes placed on the US by other countries. I find it interesting that America can make threats on China but China can't make them back.
    Do you guys realise that how you are viewing China is exactly how most of the World views the US?
    Last edited by chinamonty; 03-15-2020 at 07:15 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-16-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    that would be a good way of having trade embargoes placed on the US by other countries. I find it interesting that America can make threats on China but China can't make them back.
    Do you guys realise that how you are viewing China is exactly how most of the World views the US?
    And? So we are supposed to let China cut off our supply and just take it so the rest of the world think we are all warm and cuddly? We are in a position to NOT accept it. The world grumbles and complains as if they wouldn't do the exact same thing if they were in the same position. Were Australia the biggest economy in the world, your country would act the same way.

And without the "Pax Americana" we've brought most of the world would be annexed by China and Russia, I think we are the better bully to deal with vs. China or Russia.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-17-2020),Extreme4x4 (04-06-2020),IROCNROL1 (03-17-2020),joey (03-16-2020)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 3,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Embargo away.

After decades of having the global elites move thousands of industries, millions of jobs and trillions of dollars to the CCP, the Chicoms felt arrogantly omnipotent, thinking they could dictate whatever terms they wanted to rest of the world. Guess what, they were called out on it.

The world can view the US and China any way they want.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-15-2020),BlackGTP (03-16-2020),buildacariwant (03-16-2020),Ed753 (03-15-2020),eklauss (03-17-2020),Evo69 (03-16-2020),Extreme4x4 (04-06-2020),Neanderthal (03-16-2020),Syclone478 (03-16-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,725 Times in 2,415 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I don't think they are putting all of their eggs in one basket. Once Trump goes, either this year or in 4 years those EPA rules will be right back, no matter what party. Most 1st world countries are going towards either highly restrictive emissions from ICE or mandating electrics. I suspect GM is planning for a post Trump era and showing good foresight.
    I think you're right. It may come a lot farther down the road than some think, but with ever increasing advances in technology, even those things that its usage in today that are not possible will probably be feasible at some future point.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-16-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM needs to get out of its Chinese JV's and control its own destiny in China. I hope Mother gets it.

There is lack of patriotism in the Davos crowd
    Quite right, Mbuk'! We, and especially Z284ever, were already getting at GM for their over exposure to the Peoples Republic of China. This pandemic only illustrates the issue even further. Sometimes it have to take something like this crisis to make people get off their collective asses and do something.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Evo69 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-17-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I hope America wakes up and pull investments out of China. We see trillions of US dollars spent on these major infrastructure projects to bring China into the realm of a super power, but 2/3's of the population still buys live stock for food out these virus infested markets. SARS and bird flue every few years should signal a move to sty away from China until they stop becoming a treat to millions of the world population. This outbreak will cause more economic damage then any tariff embargo.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-17-2020),Evo69 (03-16-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,718 Times in 4,661 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

While I agree with some probability in that statement, I don't think it's 100% by any means. Given the 2020 crop of candidates on the left side, and given the national (worldwide) pandemic of induced insanity we're seeing, all I'm hoping for right now is that we pull out of this Kamikazi mission we seem to be on now. We will destroy a statistically microscopic threat by totally shutting down our society? French Revolution, anyone?

I knew it, and today I saw it confirmed that Ohio governator DeWine said the schools may be shut down for the rest of the year. Ditto, then, restaurants, bars, ALL gatherings...our enemies could not ask for a greater gift than to close the US economy indefinitely. How about military barracks? Naval ships?

First, we must emerge from National Insanity.
    Second, we'll see who wins in 2020 and 2024. If we remain insane, if governators and mayors continue to go nuts with power (PIS/PAD as I labeled it long ago: Power Intoxication Syndrome, Power Addiction Disorder), then this Kamikazi Zero will crash into an aircraft carrier and set everything on fire.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-16-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

eklauss (03-17-2020)

30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information