Looks like Cadillac may come back. - Page 6

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Cadillac may come back.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

Re: (new Biarritz) Looks like Cadillac may come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Arcuri View Post
    Thus we have pictured what results when Cadillac designers style the best possible Cadillac without reference to some target from abroad. The Eldorado Brougham is stunning. Yes, I know the bodies were built in Italy. Hmmmmm.
    The '59-60 bodies were built in Italy (but designed in Detroit).
    The '57-58s (as pictured) were built in Detroit, and it is the '57-58s which are unilaterally considered far superior to the '59-60. Hmmmmm, indeed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Looks like Cadillac may come back.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Eldorado? You've got to be kidding me. The LAST thing Cadillac needs is to dig back into the cesspool of its post-war slide into proletarian "attainable" luxury. "Eldorado" simply conjures too many images of pimped out sleds being piloted through the 'hood by seedy characters with names like "Sookie T".

"Biarritz" on the other hand...

Dude you can not judge Cadillac by the last 10-15 years of the
    Eldog.....that car has a history to be proud of and so does Cadillac. You don't run from your legacy because of a few ignorant people that don't know better you educate them. I wish Cadillac would go back to their naming system and stop the imitation of someone else with the 3 letters.

Monaro SS you have done beyond a great job! Please don't let the Pee Wee Hermans of the world distract from your work with comments about two tone or pimps. It is the difference between those that have flare and those that don't. You know kind of like people who drive Toyotas.
    Last edited by rueben44; 05-13-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

^^^ Thanks mate, but I have thick skin. And I can give as good as I get if I feel an 'educational' response is in order.

But I prefer people who make a comment of any kind than those who don't. Though it's better when people who like or don't like the chops to actually say what features they do and don't like than just a generic, "it's great" or "it's ****"... Feedback helps me learn what features do and don't work.

BTW, I've done these chops with the windows down on the coupe, and I think they both look hot... I think that without the front/rear side window break line the flow of the car and the juxtaposition of the side vent break works better.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 05-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I'm interested how they make it for production though - if you give it a proper bumper it would ruin the whole design , perhaps they can find a way to make it meet regulations as it is?
    This is my concern as well. It needs a front bumper. I was thinking a thin chrome strip just below the grill. MonaroSS, could you try a thin chrome bumper for me? Thanks!

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    This is my concern as well. It needs a front bumper. I was thinking a thin chrome strip just below the grill. MonaroSS, could you try a thin chrome bumper for me? Thanks!
    Chrome bumpers are either chromed plastic and will get tacky very quickly or they are metal and they don't pass regulation any more.

I have already created a solution below. I expanded the moulding above the lower intakes into bumperettes and the LED headlights are reduced to hard clear plastic indicator lights for the top half and soft clear plastic parking lights for the lower half that is at risk of damage. The hide-away headlights are behind the body color panels....

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    Chrome bumpers are either chromed plastic and will get tacky very quickly or they are metal and they don't pass regulation any more.

I have already created a solution below. I expanded the moulding above the lower intakes into bumperettes and the LED headlights are reduced to hard clear plastic indicator lights for the top half and soft clear plastic parking lights for the lower half that is at risk of damage. The hide-away headlights are behind the body color panels....

Ingenious! I wonder when we might be seeing the next Cadillac concept? I suspect it will gauge the level of influence the Ciel will have on upcoming production cars.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

MonaroSS, thanks for the great work! It is a fabulous updating of classic Cadillac styling cues combined with a contemporary upscale appearance. I love the apect of reviving an Eldorado or a Biarritz version--the models from 1953 through at least 1980 are legendary! I like the "side scoops" and especially the hood beveling on the Ciel, along with the proportions of your renditions. Cadillac's must have "bold" styling and carry over styling elements from their great model years!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

This is amazing, and provides real world solutions for translating the Ciel's design into a production friendly design. I would almost suggest that the top of the bumperettes are not bisected by the indicators , and that they stop at the top of the bumperettes.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elgreen View Post
    Magnificent and glorious, as a Cadillac was meant to be! We need to do away with those stupid, confusing three-letter model designations, too. The famous Eldorado name needs to be on this as an ultra-luxury sub-brand...like the Escalade with its ESV and EXT variants.
    I am not a fan of the three letter identifiers, but I think the Eldorado name and any other Cadillac names from the past are played out. I think the brand ruined those names with the products they produced in the later 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.

Cadillac represents cutting edge luxury now. Give them new names reflective of that.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Thanks guys, that to me is one of the pleasures of design - developing an engineering solution that works.

It may sound strange, but creating a fantastic looking design is almost the easy part. Car designers then spend 3 years trying to defend against the engineers slowly deconstructing their fabulous design as they convert it to a real world, regulation complianced, and saleable vehicle.

That is one reason why I have never been a fan of these over the top fantasy concept sketches with the massive wheels, decapitated headroom and proportions that can never translate into a real vehicle. You may as well start off with something more realistic but with some real design flair that can survive to production, than something fantastic which ends up a mutilated abortion that loses all flair and looks like a committee did it...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,772 Times in 5,645 Posts

WOW.

THAT is a car that needs to see production. I was iffy on the side vents, but holy hell is that beautiful. They looked a little overly gaudy at first, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look great on that coupe. On the sedan, meh... You could try to parallel the side vents with similarly styled and positioned vents further up on the wheelbase OR parallel the styling of the vents with the shape and flow of the grille, but I'm not sure how that would really work with the flow of the character line down the side.

Also, do you have any interpretations of what the headlights might look like?

Thanks guys, that to me is one of the pleasures of design - developing an engineering solution that works.

It may sound strange, but creating a fantastic looking design is almost the easy part. Car designers then spend 3 years trying to defend against the engineers slowly deconstructing their fabulous design as they convert it to a real world, regulation complianced, and saleable vehicle.

That is one reason why I have never been a fan of these over the top fantasy concept sketches with the massive wheels, decapitated headroom and proportions that can never translate into a real vehicle. You may as well start off with something more realistic but with some real design flair that can survive to production, than something fantastic which ends up a mutilated abortion that loses all flair and looks like a committee did it...

I always HATE those bull**** concepts that don't even look like they COULD see production.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Still would love to see what it would look like with more formal C-Pillars. Maybe with a subtle inlaid wreath and crest on them too. This could also be the button for opening the rear doors.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enzodually View Post
    Still would love to see what it would look like with more formal C-Pillars. Maybe with a subtle inlaid wreath and crest on them too. This could also be the button for opening the rear doors.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 05-13-2012 at 06:21 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Nice work Monaro, adding the roof gives the Ciel a real "Flagship" look and I like the two grille idea along with the side bars (forgot about them), and thanks for putting real names on them.

Now I can see Cadillac going after Bentley for the upper end luxury market.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

I thought I would post this PM exchange for any others interested...

I know you've heard this a million times, but I love your work! I was wondering if you could point me in the direction on what computer program(s) I would need to start creating concepts like you do? I used to draw all the time in 2D and 3D, but would like to learn more, and create the realistic looking concepts you crank out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Most people use Adobe Photoshop. I have that program as well as Corel Photo-Paint. But the Program I use is Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

I don't think the program you use makes as much difference as practicing doing as many things as possible. But as always with artistic activity, the most important thing is being able to see. I mean really see a picture. See the details, how the light reflects off surfaces, how the viewers eye will catch on certain features and create an impression. You should Google Image "impressionist art" and see how light is very messy, but the human mind can still see a clear picture. Also check out these paintings and examine them really closely, as they are not photo's; http://fineartblogger.com/amazing-ph...tic-paintings/

When you can understand how light and shade works you can do realistic looking chops. The pic below is hand painted by some dude, but you should understand what he sees. To avoid cartoonish looking chops you must see and preserve the reflected images in the paintwork as best as possible. It's detail that counts.

Thanks mate.

^^^The painting above is actually a painting of a building and sky which the artist has distorted in such a way as to make it look like the polished bonnet/hood of a car...

VVV PS This too below is a painting..

Last edited by MonaroSS; 05-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information