How much of a bummer is no manual trans in 2020 Corvette? - Page 8

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: How bummed at no stick?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How much of a bummer is no manual trans in 2020 Corvette?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,423 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Re: How much of a bummer is no manual trans in 2020 Corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    No one is willing to wait longer than 15 minutes to fuel up and $30k is about the average price of a new car today, so they’re probably the most important target figures for battery electrics in getting them to the point anyone and everyone, including the majority of people who don’t mind mediocre or even bad gasoline fuel economy, to consider going electric at all.
    I was just pointing out that the list of requirements is closer to reality than you realized.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,169 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

No one is willing to wait longer than 15 minutes to fuel up and $30k is about the average price of a new car today, so they’re probably the most important target figures for battery electrics in getting them to the point anyone and everyone, including the majority of people who don’t mind mediocre or even bad gasoline fuel economy, to consider going electric at all.
    Actually, there are a ton of people who are driving Teslas across the country and enjoying it quite a bit. An older couple has a 3 and they love it because it breaks up the drive just like the old days. Instead of rushing to get somewhere (like the whole world is) you enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Plus, when you stop its a battery recharge for the kids to get out and run around as well.

My last trip to Wisconsin (about 8 hours straight) we actually took about 11 hours to get there because we stopped three times to let the kids play. Easiest trip I've ever had. It was insane the difference.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Actually, there are a ton of people who are driving Teslas across the country and enjoying it quite a bit. An older couple has a 3 and they love it because it breaks up the drive just like the old days. Instead of rushing to get somewhere (like the whole world is) you enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Plus, when you stop its a battery recharge for the kids to get out and run around as well.

My last trip to Wisconsin (about 8 hours straight) we actually took about 11 hours to get there because we stopped three times to let the kids play. Easiest trip I've ever had. It was insane the difference.
    That’s all fine and dandy. I drive from Cleveland Ohio to Charlotte NC and back twice a year. I fill up, hit I-77, and go. We hit the bathroom and fuel up once. Keep the cruise 75-80. No way would I ever want a car that takes more than 15 min to go from near empty to completely 100% full.

I think most Americans are like my girlfriend and I. That’s the true America.

Nothing wrong with taking your time and strolling through but most people who take long road trips, especially those on work, have zero desire for cars that require long charging times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,356 Times in 2,207 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

That’s all fine and dandy. I drive from Cleveland Ohio to Charlotte NC and back twice a year. I fill up, hit I-77, and go. We hit the bathroom and fuel up once. Keep the cruise 75-80. No way would I ever want a car that takes more than 15 min to go from near empty to completely 100% full.

Nothing wrong with taking your time and strolling through but most people who take long road trips, especially those on work, have zero desire for cars that require long charging times.
    Not in your country but my company vehicle is fitted with in vehicle monitoring,
    Go over the speed limit - breach
    Brake/ accelerate too hard- breach
    After every 2 hrs must stop 30 mins regardless where you are otherwise- breach
    The last control is an absolute PITA on a 450 mile trip and 50-60 mph limits.

Never thought I would prefer horrible airport checkin over driving but here we are

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,169 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

You do understand that three years ago driving across country in an EV was all but impossible and now you can do it easily. The system is changing FAST. Model 3s can add 250+ miles of range in 25 mins. Give it another three years and they're talking about 250 mile range in 10 mins. Hell, Tesla went from 200 miles of range to 325 in one life cycle.

You do notice I said kids right? It's much different when it's two adults. You want to play what's more America then you rooting against companies that are using America to bring change to an ancient industry at this point.

You know, all fine and dandy and such.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 691 Posts

GM and VW have both made recent announcements regarding their (separate) joint ventures with large construction companies to build thousands of additional charge stations. And EVs need WAY fewer stations than gas-engine cars do, since EVs will be doing the bulk of their charging at home.

Even now, gas station owners don't see much (if any) profit from selling gas. That's why they partner with fast food places and convenience stores. With EV charging, they could be seeing much more profits, as the drivers would be able to stay (and shop) longer. Of course, that's only temporary, as EV charging times should certainly be on par with gas refueling within a few short years.

As EVs continue to take a bigger and bigger chunk out of the new car market, we can expect gas stations to be fewer and further between. In a decade or two, we'll find it pretty difficult get across the country on gas.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

sucks for those who want it.. but we are now at a new level... DCT is awesome in performance.. but everyday driving I'm wondering. I've only experienced them in performance.. not everyday
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-25-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

GM has no stones any more, people. Accept it. Completely depressing. A manual on a V8 doesn't need 7 or 8 speeds. WTF? 5 or 6 will do perfectly fine for a driver's car. GM has no DRIVERS anymore??? Please try harder.

This is like 3rd grade. The answer is... no, not that one, the other cheaper one! Why not? And, charge for it. People that want to drive will pony up a bit extra. Really. Not offering it says GM got lobotomized somewhere along the line. The Men In Black are my suspects.

Seriously, this is the most stupid thing GM has done in 25 years or more. Mark my words, the Viper will rise again with a manual trans, at a huge price point.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,344 Posts

Just because that is what they agree to build does not mean that is what the consumer base is going to buy.

As Bob Lutz said: forcing car companies to improve fuel economy by regulation is like forcing people to lose weight by making it illegal to produce pants with a larger waist size than 32 inches.

The MARKET will dictate how much electric cars take over the future, and even it electric DOES become the main propulsion format (which I doubt), it will take no less than a hundred years to even come close to that point.

Do you understand the grip and foothold of the gas and oil business in America and around the world? Of course you do. You just have to look down the street from your house to see 3 gas stations and a quick mart, all of whom sell oil if not gas.

The internal combustion engine, no matter what kind of PR spin Mary Barra or any other car company CEO likes to spin, is STILL the ONE AND ONLY choice for the future of cars. And here is the simple case why: no other propulsion system will give you a 350-400 mile charge, from absolute zero, in less than 15 minutes, at any time, any where, and in any climate 24/7/365, for a reasonable fee. Don't kid yourself - electric ain't cheap in some parts of the country. Ask Phoenix residents with electric hot water tanks why they don't do their laundry or shower between 8 in the morning and 8 at night.

Until you can literally pull your car over while you're driving on a thousand+ mile trip at any time of day or night when your electric level is less than 10 miles of charge, and plug it in, and get to 100% full charge in less than 15 minutes, electric ain't going mainstream.
    Great Points.

Electric rates in SoCal have already killed off the EV and it will only get worse.

The ICE is still the most effective/efficient way to power vehicles and only needs to have some Hybrid Assistance to make them better.

Only thing I can see replacing the ICE is a Natural Gas or Gasoline powered Fuel Cell that directly powers a Electric Motor without a Battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    You're going to be wrong IMO. The electric car will be taking over within the next 20 years. That's why the manufacturers are spending billions to get there.
    In SoCal the rate is $.047 per KW from 4 to 9 when there is peak use and the Solar Powered Grid source power is dwindling and many are howling at how much the rates have risen over last year, toss in a huge increase in demand for EV's and fill up rates that are already higher than a gas fillup will be 3x to 5X as much. Drop the gas use with the Billions in Tax Revenue and add it to the Electric Usage and you will have $1,000 a month utility bills and just as much to "Charge Up" your car. Nobody is going to spend $2,000 a month on Transportation and Driving costs since they just cannot afford it. Worst part is the air quality will get substantially worse as Asia drives their Coal Powered EV's and dump SoCal with 3X the pollution we already get from there (over 50% of SoCal's Air Pollution is from China) and the Earth's Environment pays the price for a pipe dream.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    ......Worst part is the air quality will get substantially worse as Asia drives their Coal Powered EV's and dump SoCal with 3X the pollution we already get from there (over 50% of SoCal's Air Pollution is from China) and the Earth's Environment pays the price for a pipe dream.
    Nobody is more fixated on improving their pollution issues than China. They KNOW they have a problem, and they are improving.

And they have the "benefit" of a totalitarian government, that can force their population, and their companies, to do whatever it takes.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information