How much of a bummer is no manual trans in 2020 Corvette? - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: How bummed at no stick?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much of a bummer is no manual trans in 2020 Corvette?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,531 Times in 3,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse
    Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    Since Ferrari quit making true manual transmission the value of those cars has exploded. And it’s not just old men. Rich people in their 30s and 40s are driving auction prices through the roof on even more mundane 90s era Ferrari’s.

You have to understand, for people who enjoy driving stick, the 0-60 and lightning speed of changing gears is NOT the goal.

It’s the enjoyment of driving.
    Outside Of The rich, if rowing is your thing, a relatively affordable Camaro 2.0 1LE can more than sastisfy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Re: How much of a bummer is no manual trans in 2020 Corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Outside Of The rich, if rowing is your thing, a relatively affordable Camaro 2.0 1LE can more than sastisfy
    No one will convince anyone. It the end, you either get having the "man pedal" or you don't.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (07-21-2019),rjpoog1989 (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,657 Times in 3,871 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    People are claiming that a lack of manuals is a response to lack of real consumer interest, but that just isn’t reflected by reality. Porsche has found major success via a return to manuals in some models, and used prices for late model, manual transmission Ferrari models are easily outstripping what DCT equipped cars can manage. Also worth noting, Ford has chimed in now and said that if enough people ask the GT500 will be made available with a manual. Which means people are already asking.

718 offers a stick
    I built one on the Porsche website, shocking how little you get for a similar starting price. 4 cylinder engine, stripped down interior - I built one and only chose basic options like heated seats and voice commands (I find that to be important). Voice commands required a $2,500 package - freaking crazy. With minimal options I ended up at almost $66k. I'm sure it is a fun car, but you are certainly giving up a lot vs the Corvette base (I'm sure the Vette's options will quickly add up too) to get a stick. Just the engines alone - a 4 cylinder vs. a V8.

To me the Porsche is not worth the money vs. the Corvette. And I bet buying American is important for many Corvette buyers, a Porsche will never be on my radar.

I get the joy of rowing through the gears manually, but there is certainly something to be said about the fun of being slammed back into your seat from a 495 hp V8, and the sound! You are certainly not going to get that experience in a 2.0T.

Interesting how the poll is mirroring the % take rate for Vette sticks. Presumably the "kind of a bummer" people will take the automatic, so lumping them in with the "not an issue" people gives us ~75% who are fine with no stick.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm bummed it's not an option but I do believe it will help my '16 C7 7 speed manual hold its value better and longer as the C8 rollout commences. It also means GM can longer charge extra for the automatic given there is no actual choice.

A C8 base model with 495HP & 8spd DCT will be quite the value beneath $60K!!
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-21-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    After extended seat time in both variants of the E90 M3 it cemented in stone that driver involvement while nice was easily shaded by the noticeable performance benefits of the DCT. Even with my current daily driver the 8 speed dual clutch transmission is notable for how much it truly brings to the table.

There is a specific, and quantifiable reason that Ferrari and Lamborghini have moved on from their love affair with the manual transmission.
    I agree. The more powerful the car is the harder it is to drive a manual effectively which takes away from the very reason you chose a manual in the first place. As fast as the upper echelon of cars are now it's really tough to keep up with the acceleration. There's a reason the fastest cars are getting rid of them and it's not just because the autos are faster or the manufacturers convenience.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to big swede For This Useful Post:

rand49er (07-21-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,423 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Though I thoroughly enjoy driving a stick, even if still widely available I probably wouldn't buy one again. It's a novelty of the past, there are better technologies. Nor do I think the change will impact sales. I think the mid-engine will attract a lot of new customers that will offset any loss of existing customers due to not having a stick. Plus, my guess is that a lot of the Corvette stick fans will grumble, but ultimately the allure of the C8 will convince many stick lovers to buy it. And, if you want a stick in a true Corvette competitor, where do you go without spending $150,000+ on a European exotic?
    I love a sports car with a stick shift, & I would buy another if I wanted one badly enough. I don't feel like it's a novelty of the past, it's just enjoyed by a dying group of enthusiasts. Younger car buyers see the car as an appliance. Their other devices do things with just a push of the button or tap on a screen. They want that same kind of convenience from all of the things in their life. Those of us that still enjoy driving a manual wear it as a badge of honor. Most of us still have memories of learning how to master the clutch take-up & the right throttle pressure. Maybe the younger generation are a product of a generation of parents who didn't want to teach their own kids?

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    People are claiming that a lack of manuals is a response to lack of real consumer interest, but that just isn’t reflected by reality. Porsche has found major success via a return to manuals in some models, and used prices for late model, manual transmission Ferrari models are easily outstripping what DCT equipped cars can manage. Also worth noting, Ford has chimed in now and said that if enough people ask the GT500 will be made available with a manual. Which means people are already asking.
    I figured Ford was all in on a DCT only GT500. There's no telling how many were contracted by Ford. They had been planning the DCT GT500 for years in order to have the supplier continually building more. Also, it makes me wonder if Ford already has a supplier lined up if they "get enough interest" in doing a run of manuals.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

A friend of my now owns three Corvettes, all stick. Once he ordered one with a manual but was delivered an automatic by mistake. The dealer let him drive the car for six weeks for free until one with a manual can be delivered. He said that he was just as happy with the automatic

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra/2014/Summit White

As a young person, these things kinda disappoint me because my dream vehicles won’t be available when I actually have the money to buy them. I’ve been dreaming of cars since high school. A corvette with a manual is certainly something that I aspire to own. The engine placement really doesn’t bother me, the lack of a manual does. Oh well, by the time I can afford it, it’ll steer itself too, and run on AA batteries...
    Daily Driver:
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS / Crystal Red Tint
    - 3.6 V6 / 6MT

Wife’s Ride:
    2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk / Jetset Blue
    - 2.4l tigershark / 9AT

Weekend Warrior:
    2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT / Summit White
    - 6.2 Ecotec III / 6 AT
    - Crew Cab / Standard Bed
    - 2 inch coil spacers / Zone AAL / BfGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 / Ranch Sierra Cap

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,344 Posts

Isn't the DCT the "Modern" Manual Transmission?

The 2020 Corvette does not offer an Automatic Transmission, only a Modern version of a Manual Transmission.

The paddles still allow manual shifting without the hassles of the clutch in "Stop and Go" traffic and it shifts faster than a manual without any power losses during clutching where there will always be a slight deceleration due to power disconnect.

True, it is a change in the driving experience and yes many drivers do enjoy "going through the gears" via the stick on the floor, but think the performance advantages will eventually outweigh those once adjusted to the new way of making the shifts.

I understand the reasons some will be disappointed, but think once they drive it and create their own style of shifting then DCT, they will enjoy it - at least it allows you to be fully engaged in the shift process when you choose to be and allows you to let the car do the shifting when you don't.

I can't wait to drive one!
    Last edited by SierraGS; 07-21-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Isn't the DCT the "Modern" Manual Transmission?

The 2020 Corvette does not offer an Automatic Transmission, only a Modern version of a Manual Transmission.

The paddles still allow manual shifting without the hassles of the clutch in "Stop and Go" traffic and it shifts faster than a manual without any power losses during clutching where there will always be a slight deceleration due to power disconnect.

True, it is a change in the driving experience and yes many drivers do enjoy "going through the gears" via the stick on the floor, but think the performance advantages will eventually outweigh those once adjusted to the new way of making the shifts.
    Due to the transmission having to have a Park gear, it gets labeled as an automatic. Also, the car can be driven without the need of the driver to shift through the gears manually, eg. an automatic. I fully understand the benefits of the DCT, but I still enjoy pushing the clutch & moving the shifter in the console/floor. Would the DCT be a deal breaker for me if I bought a C8? No. Would I prefer a true manual? Yes. I have gotten used to shifting electrically over the years, so a DCT isn't the spawn of Satan that some may say it is.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-21-2019),SierraGS (07-21-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,214 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

And this is the crunch, the DCT is an automated manual trans and as much
    as some grizzle about no MT option, you can see that a lot of the "fence sitters"
    would be happy enough with the DCT.

The problem with a manual version of a mid engned car is linkage slop due to
    the location of the gearbox, think about it, the shift commands have to get
    past the engine before they get to the gearbox. So there's more points of error
    with connections so harder to guarantee the same kind of gear shift feel and quality.
    Last edited by jpd80; 07-21-2019 at 06:38 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-21-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,015 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Driving manuals for over 40 years. Dct is quicker for the win.

Cant wait for delivery
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (07-23-2019),jzchev28 (07-22-2019),mbukukanyau (07-21-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,015 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Ps the center tunnel is a support structure. Easy entry and world class rigid chassis for the win yet again.

Anybody who is in the tri state area want a excellent z51 c6 manual for 16 grand when my c8 z51 dct comes in..(probably march april timeframe as I ordered from mike furman at criswell chevy

Pm me...

Great car...just want the latest and greatest rear mid engine corvette ...
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 07-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-22-2019),jzchev28 (07-21-2019),mbukukanyau (07-21-2019),SierraGS (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    And this is the crunch, the DCT is an automated manual trans and as much
    as some grizzle about no MT option, you can see that a lot of the "fence sitters"
    would be happy enough with the DCT.

The problem with a manual version of a mid engned car is linkage slop due to
    the location of the gearbox, think about it, the shift commands have to get
    own and past the engine before they get to the gearbox. So there are more
    points of error with connections to guarantee the same kind of gear shift
    feel and quality.
    Very true. Not only that, with technology today, more systems in a car aren't mechanical anymore. I remember being wary of buying my GTO since it was the first year for the drive-by-wire throttle system. I saw a small handful of people report problems, but I didn't & neither did a majority of LS2 owners. And Mercedes uses brake-by-wire & we aren't hearing about crashes being an epidemic. I suppose one major benefit of the DCT is for those who want to take their C8 bracket style drag racing. Automatics are more consistent & if you want to shift your gears, you won't miss a shift.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Some people are still missing the point.

Stick is about driving experience. No DCT or F1-style sequential automatic can take the place of a clutch pedal at any speed or performance level.

When you don’t need to involve your left foot, on a certain level, the driving experience of a Ferrari - which I have driven, a 2015 488, on a track, through twisties at up to 140 mph - is the same as driving a 1987 Cadillac Sedan deVille.

That is my honest to god opinion of anything without a clutch pedal.

If you get it, I do not need to explain. If you don’t get it, explaining will never get you to understand.
    Last edited by fastbal1; 07-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

Scrambler (07-23-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information