Ford v Ferrari - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford v Ferrari

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Sea King 35

Re: Ford v Ferrari

The Donut account is close. The decision to use the 427 came in Dearborn in the fall of '64. They didn't approach Shelby until after the disaster at Nassau in December. The aero figure is very close (76 hp) to Ford's own records, but the small block cars were already using the same Weber carb 289 as the FIA Cobras. They took two 427s to LeMans in '65 and both failed to finish. Ford realized they needed a NASA type effort and every pound of weight possible was carved off the 7 Litre while at the same time it and a new transaxle Ford built in house using the gear cluster from their NASCAR transmission were run to destruction at a winning pace on a dyno. The failed parts would be re-engineered and testing begun again. When they went to LeMans in '66 Ford had the most proven power train in the race. Brakes were still an issue but they had a quick change brake arrangement and could change them in minutes. All of the weight shaved off the engine was put back in the car in the form of safety equipment. After Walt Hansgen's death in testing H II wouldn't hear otherwise. The MKIV that won in '67 was a whole new car using the proven power train. It's development cost us Ken Miles. Along side Dan Gurney probably one of the greatest driver/engineers who ever walked the planet. Put Duntov in that group too. The '68 and '69 wins were by Wyer Engineering using his Mirage/GT40 variant rebodied back to close to MKII shape but with his suspension improvements and the best small blocks, 302s, Ford knew how to build. Oddly enough the same chassis won both years. Then it was over. The French coerced the FIA to do away with the large engined cars and we all know what happened. Porsche read the rules carefully, built a winner, then mass produced it to stymie the French for a few more years.

From GM's perspective the moment they really stepped on their di..um. You know. Was when Ole Shel came to them and asked for a couple of their new aluminum V8's to put in his sports car he was going to build. Luckily for Ole Shel they turned him down. The Cobra would have just been a better looking Daimler SP250 with that POS under the hood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    John was let go because the conservative stiffs running the company throwing down vodka tonics at the country club couldn’t stand DeLorean’s rock n roll life style and attitude.

They should have let Duntov and DeLorean team up and develop a full in-house racing program.
    ABSOLUTELY! Agree fully, although it's real hard to see how it could have ever happened. But, man, we could have outdone Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc.. had we gone there.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I'm sceptical because of the trailer itself that shows Henry Ford II asking Shelby to build him a car to take on Ferrari

We know it didnt happen that way , Perhaps hes asking him to take over after the initial failed attempt ?

As far as the Kiwi's Bruce and Denny I guess we'll have to wait and see if they're in the movie

I'm just sceptical because of you know ....Hollywood license.....
    I am a huge fan of both. The first 2 model cars I built as a kid were the #4 and #5 McLaren CanAm cars. I wanted to be those guys when I grew up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,253 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    I am a huge fan of both. The first 2 model cars I built as a kid were the #4 and #5 McLaren CanAm cars. I wanted to be those guys when I grew up.
    At least Denny Hulme Died on a race track

Might have been a heart attack I think?

I remember the race well he was a legend of motorsport anlongside Jack Brabham
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,253 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Just looked up the cast listing on IMDB

Brent Pontin ... Chris Amon
    Ben Collins ... Denny Hulme
    Benjamin Rigby ... Bruce McLaren

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186...=tt_cl_sm#cast

The problem is with Ben (the Stig) Collins is he's a stunt driver so likely wont get any actual lines or any screentime other than in the car driving

Brent Pontin is an unkown actor so peobably wont get any screentime either

I'm still not feeling comfortable with the potential re writing of history here
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

My guess says that the people most likely to get screwed here are Holman and Moody. While not as well known as Shelby American they are just as responsible for transforming the failed MkI into the legend it would become. Of course, I could be wrong and they may get a serious mention, but I would be surprised if they do.

I also wonder if the always contentious relationship between Shelby and the folks at Auto Carrier gets any screen time assuming the prior Cobra/Cobra Daytona vs Ferrari battle gets covered at all, which I’m guessing it will.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to add: Peter Wingfield would have been a much better, and certainly cheaper, fit for Ken Miles assuming that they wanted someone who looks the part. Christopher Eccleston would have been a superb fit as well. And while not perfect, Matthew McConnaughey would have made a more convincing Shelby than Christian Bale. Particularly in temperament.

I’m not bullish on this being a great movie given what looks like a ‘but he’s a big name star’ casting approach.
    Last edited by SVT74; 06-07-2019 at 04:22 PM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,404 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    My guess says that the people most likely to get screwed here are Holman and Moody. While not as well known as Shelby American they are just as responsible for transforming the failed MkI into the legend it would become. Of course, I could be wrong and they may get a serious mention, but I would be surprised if they do.

I also wonder if the always contentious relationship between Shelby and the folks at Auto Carrier gets any screen time assuming the prior Cobra/Cobra Daytona vs Ferrari battle gets covered at all, which I’m guessing it will.
    I believe you will be right on both accounts. The trailer makes it appear that the movie is solely focusing on the Ford/Ferrari ego trip, not on Shelby's business relations or the internal competition with H/M. Of the 2 scenarios, I would be much less surprised if H/M get a minor storyline than the Auto Carrier situation.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I believe you will be right on both accounts. The trailer makes it appear that the movie is solely focusing on the Ford/Ferrari ego trip, not on Shelby's business relations or the internal competition with H/M. Of the 2 scenarios, I would be much less surprised if H/M get a minor storyline than the Auto Carrier situation.
    I agree all around. In this instance I think HM would outright be getting screwed while the omission of the relationship with AC would be unfortunate, but not as controversial. I say this because the real reason to mention the animosity with AC is that it contributed to Shelby and Ford moving to end the relationship directly affecting the decision to move on from the Daytona
    Coupe program which might have otherwise continued.
    Last edited by SVT74; 06-07-2019 at 04:50 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information