The Definitive GM Performance Car List 1986-2006 - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Definitive GM Performance Car List 1986-2006

Thanks

Re: The Definitive GM Performance Car List 1986-200x

Just a thought here, if you can mention the AWD 6000STE, why not the Cutlass Ciera GT and Buick Century T-Type and Grand National? And while we're talking V6 Cutlass Supreme coupes, the best ones would be the few that were built with a 5 speed, and the last of those was, if I recall correctly, '92.
    Donne e motori, gioie e dolori

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Those are good suggestions - Any model years you think would be best? I'll go out and look at them. Of course I'll want to try and choose only those that are somewhat different from the others, so we can mix the years and trims up as much as possible.

Edit:

I did have some Cutlasses already such as the 442 with the 5-speed. Couldn't find any decent info on the Century T-type in the mid to late 80's. '87 Grand National in the list already.

Adding -

1986 Cutlass Ciera GT Coupe

1987 Toronado Trofeo FE3

It has a lot of cool options that was kind've rare for a car made in the 80's. It has the sporty FE3 suspension that was modeled off of the Corvettes FE4 suspension. It has Power every thing, Moon roof, 3.8 liter v6, drivers information center, hands free built in car phone, and too many other things to list.
    Last edited by Ming; 06-19-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 87aero
    The Allante Northstar is on the list for Cadillac, and I saw a car the other day that was an "Allante Pininfarina." Apparently GM sent of few Allantes over to Italy's premier car design studio to have the body reworked a little. Same engine just cosmetics. That's a pretty worthless addition, but I bet it's a rare caddy.
    All Allantes were "Pininfirina Allantes" in that Pininfirina designed the Allante's exterior, and I believe, built the bodies for the Allante. The cars were then shipped to the US for final assembly. There were Pininfirina badges on every car, just ahead of the rear wheels. One of the Allante's fatal flaws was a lack of enough power. By the time this problem was solved with the introduction of the Northstar engine for 1993, interest in the car had pretty much disappeared. '93 was the only year of Northstar Allantes, making them the most desirable. I really liked this car. But it was a typical GM example of a car it didn't fully develop before introduction -- Allante, Fiero, Reatta are all examples. By the time they made the car really good, the public had moved on.
    Last edited by Murrow; 07-07-2006 at 08:10 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

By the time they made the car really good, the public had moved on.
    GM seems to hold on to that philosophy of a "last minute injection of excitement" to this day, usually in an attempt to prop up a failing model. Just like the Bonneville GXP was too late, I fully expect the G6 GXP to arrive right when G6 sales are on the decline, right before a redesign. I'm not sure if the sales numbers bear it out, but I think more timely performance models like the CTS-V or Solstice GXP --- hot performance trim models of vehicles that might not appear to need the boost --- do wonders for the overall sales, more than a last-minute performance model ever could. The reason? A performance model (even just officially announced) at the beginning of the sales cycle for a new car helps establish the image of the car, whereas one at the tail end of a lackluster model's career is not going to change the already rooted ho-hum image (or lack of recognition in the case of the Bonneville) people have of the car.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Ming: please do add an '88-89 Buick Reatta coupe. And maybe a '90-91 Reatta convertible
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    GM seems to hold on to that philosophy of a "last minute injection of excitement" to this day, usually in an attempt to prop up a failing model. Just like the Bonneville GXP was too late, I fully expect the G6 GXP to arrive right when G6 sales are on the decline, right before a redesign. I'm not sure if the sales numbers bear it out, but I think more timely performance models like the CTS-V or Solstice GXP --- hot performance trim models of vehicles that might not appear to need the boost --- do wonders for the overall sales, more than a last-minute performance model ever could. The reason? A performance model (even just officially announced) at the beginning of the sales cycle for a new car helps establish the image of the car, whereas one at the tail end of a lackluster model's career is not going to change the already rooted ho-hum image (or lack of recognition in the case of the Bonneville) people have of the car.
    Bonneville GXP is a PERFECT example of what I was talking about!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY
    Ming: please do add an '88-89 Buick Reatta coupe. And maybe a '90-91 Reatta convertible
    Great idea, F14Crazy, those were beautiful, sporty cars indeed!

The Buick Reatta was a hand-made luxurious sports coupe produced at the Reatta Craft Centre in Lansing, Michigan and sold by the Buick division of General Motors from early 1988 to 1991. Like the Cadillac Allanté, it was based on a shortened version of the GM E platform used by the Cadillac Eldorado, Oldsmobile Toronado and particularly the Buick Riviera, with which it shared its advanced electronics and interior furnishings.

The Reatta sported its own unique body style and was crafted with an attention to detail and quality of finish uncommon for a mass-produced automobile. Initially offered as a hardtop coupe, a convertible version was added for 1990. The Reatta used GM's ubiquitous "3800" V6 with 165–170 hp (123–127 kW) and 210–220 ft·lbf (285–298 N·m) of torque with the highest output in the last year of production. The car sported a fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, and front wheel drive. Top speed was electronically limited to 125 mph (201 km/h). The Reatta was rated at 18 mpg (13.1 L/100 km) in the city and 27 mpg (8.7 L/100 km) on the highway.

Every Reatta included a high-grade leather book containing the owner's manual, a flashlight, tire gauge, among other things. Most significant, though, is the "Craftman Log" with the signatures of the different supervisors for the assembly of the car's various systems. Each log is unique, for they were not photocopies.

During the first two years of production, the Reatta, like its Riviera stablemate, featured a touchscreen computer interface called the "Electronic Control Center", or ECC. The touchscreen controlled the radio and climate control functions and provided diagnostic access to the vehicle's various electronic systems and sensors, mostly eliminating the need for a diagnostic scanner. It also featured a date reminder, a trip computer, and a user-configurable overspeed alarm.

The Reatta was conceived during a period in the early to mid-1980s when Buick was marketing high performance editions of its vehicles (such as the Buick GNX). However, midway through the development of the Reatta, GM decided to refocus the brand on a more traditional and mature image that was thought to be more in keeping with its core older buyer demographics. The resulting vehicle had a shape that carried performance car styling cues but provided little in the way of actual high performance. The lack of forced induction is often blamed on the fact that Hydra-Matic, at the time, didn't have a suitable transaxle that could withstand the power — indeed this same reasoning was used to limit the output of the W-body's 3.4 L DOHC engine. Additionally, the Reatta's "excessive" level of electronics was a turn-off for those "mature" potential buyers that the division was actively trying to court.

The shorter, lighter coupe was joined by a convertible for 1990 and 1991. These sold surprisingly poorly, and are extremely rare today. Keyless entry was added after the first year. A driver's side airbag appeared with the more conventional interior and the convertible in 1990, and the engine and transmission were reworked for 1991 (with the "L27" 3800 and 4T60-E replacing the "LN3" and hydraulic 4T60).
    Source: Wikipedia
    Last edited by Ming; 07-05-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks

Since this list already includes cars like the Electra T Type and the 1992 Riviera which aren't exactly high performance or sports cars... It should also include the 1991˝-2005 supercharged Park Avenue Ultra, the 1995-99 supercharged Riviera and the 1994-96 Roadmaster...

The 1987-89 Buick LeSabre T/Type and the 1986 LeSabre Grand National as well as the 1986 Century Gran Sport were not high performance cars by today's standards but at least, they had the looks...

LeSabre T/Type
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2001 Toyota Camry CE V6Hidden Content /Hidden Content
    Wouldn't you really rather have an old Buick than the current ones? Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Eater
    2006 Bonneville GXP?
    There is no such thing.

also I have driven a 2006 Cobalt SS Sedan 2.4L, and is seems to be anything but a performance car, it was very slow IMO, now the SS/SC on the other hand was very quick (not SRT-4 quick like it should be, but close)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

My suggestion are:
    1. Change the 89 1LE Camaro to a 91-92 1LEwhich have 10 more horsepower.

2. Change the Celibrity Eurosport F41 to the Eurosport VR. It has the not only F41 sport package, but also the boy racer appearance package.

3. Since this list goes back to 1986 you can add the 86 or 87 Z24 cavy. With 5 speed of course.

4. I know we already have the Z26 and GTZ Berettas, but in the late 80s the
    highest performing Beretta was the GTU. It had the 2.8 Multi-port EFI and an available 5 speed. Since the GTU is a reflection of this car's participation in IMSA racing, I think it deserves to be on this list. An 88 is shown.

Thanks

Good suggestions, guys. I'll add them this weekend. If you have a specific model year in mind for each of the cars, then feel free to write them that way and I'll just cut & paste. Also always good to try to get some kind of appearance package as it helps them stand out even more.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philr
    The 1987-89 Buick LeSabre T/Type and the 1986 LeSabre Grand National as well as the 1986 Century Gran Sport were not high performance cars by today's standards but at least, they had the looks...
    There were actually quite a few T-type's not just a Regal and LeSabre. I think they should be this list too. Even though as you said they're not fast by today's standards, they were impressive in their day.

1986-7 Riviera T-Type

Sorry, It's the only Riv T-Type pic I could find. Doesn't do car justice.

1986 Buick Somerset T-Type (The wheels on this car are not stock, and don't look good on it)

1986 Skyhawk T-Type Turbo w/ manual.

Thanks

1987 Camaro IROC Z28 5.7

Thanks

Gran Turismo needs a Reatta. Then I'll buy it

I'm trying to think of other GM vehicles of this era, but the list is pretty well complete.

If you consider it a car, you need the Chevy SSR.

6000 STE AWD would be interesting
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks

Do need an early '90s Grand Prix GTP (Twin Dual Cam)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information