Cadillac styling direction poll.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: After seeing the XT6 and CT5....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac styling direction poll.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,930 Times in 3,189 Posts

Cadillac styling direction poll.

After seeing the CT5 and XT6, is Cadillac taking the styling of this hallowed brand in the right direction or have they missed the mark? Vote and discuss.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 03-24-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Cadillac styling direction poll.

I think the XT6 looks fine for what it is. My problem with it is what it is. I think the front and back look pretty good. Problem is you can't do much about those FWD proportions. I also wish XT6 was like the Acadia and did without the front-door quarter windows. I despise those things.

Overall, I think XT4 styling is pretty good. It's one of the nicer looking offerings in its class, although the rear looks a bit chopped off. I definitely like it better than the XT5, which I've always though had a bit of a toad-like appearance. After living with an XT5 loaner for a week, I can confidently say I would never buy one.

My thoughts on the CT5 are well documented at this point. Take away the ridiculous c-pillar fake window, and I'm generally fine with what I've seen so far. The back, however, could still be a bit cleaner. The cut lines for the trunk really dirty up the look. Overall, I still think the CTS is a far more sophisticated design.

The refreshed CT6 is the best looking Cadillac right now. There's nothing there that really sticks out to me in a negative way. It was a sharp looking car before the refresh, and I think it looks better now.

Overall, I'm okay with Cadillac styling, but I get let down by some seriously bungled design features or inherent platform realities that force unfortunate compromises.
    Last edited by Murrow; 03-24-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic
    We’ve only seen a handful of photos of the CT5...including exactly one of the interior! IMO way too soon to pass judgment. But since you asked I overall like what I’ve seen of the XT4/XT6/CT5 and updated CT6/CT6V so I voted *like*.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-24-2019),Dheart (03-24-2019),jzchev28 (03-25-2019),megeebee (03-25-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,636 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I like where the styling is going based on the XT4.

I think there will be a lot of negative votes based on the XT6 and the CT5, but remember, none of us have seen them in real life, opinions are being made off of GM's very questionable CGI. I do recall a lot of negatives on the XT4 when we were still in the "CGI phase", and now that we've all seen it, opinions are generally positive. Even if they were good CGI, you can't get a good sense of "presence" from pictures.

So I predict there will be a huge negative showing in the poll, then when we see these in real life there will be a lot of back peddling.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

dannyg (03-24-2019),Dheart (03-24-2019),jzchev28 (03-25-2019),wallus13 (03-24-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ConcordeNick's Avatar
    Thanks

The CT5 leaves me cold. I like the front end and the back end is good too.....but the side/profile view just does not cut it. Obviously I haven't seen the vehicle in real life so perhaps it will look different than it does in the photos.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Acadia Denali/2017/silver

I'm very mixed. I can't pass final judgment until I get to see them all in person. I did see the little XT4 in a parking lot and that worked. Wouldn't buy one though.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I think generally they are going in the right direction, the front end graphics are a huge improvement, the emblem without the crest is a huge improvement, keeping the signature vertical elements in the rear lighting is the right decision, but it's the rest of the body that is underwhelming.

The side profiles are generic and not striking. The removal of the formal C-pillar in favour of whatever that thing is on the CT5 is also a mistake. I also dislike the new naming scheme.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Burns For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (03-25-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,930 Times in 3,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So I predict there will be a huge negative showing in the poll, then when we see these in real life there will be a lot of back peddling.
    That's possible, and might warrant a future poll.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,636 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    That's possible, and might warrant a future poll.
    Could be interesting to do a pole regarding the XT4 - "what did you think of it when only seen in pictures vs. real life experience?"

I do recall there was a lot of discussion surrounding the black grill & pieces in the front, but once we saw it in real life everyone was fine with it.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,039 Posts

The XT4/XT5 are both very nice for their segments.
    The XT6 is nice, inoffensive, but also uninspiring.
    The CT5 is IMO a step backwards from the CTS, which to me is the best Cadillac design of this century. The Escala concept looked great, it did not translate well to the CT5. The roofline IMO is terrible!

I still like the A&S design language, I just think the two most recent products are not moving it in a better direction.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SP1966 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (03-25-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,729 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

To me it's a mixed reaction. They do have some that look good IMO and others sort of miss the mark. I like the XT5 but the XT4 has issues being stubby in some respects(the rear). The Current CTS doesn't appeal to me and the previous one was better IMO. The ATS style-wise to me was a home run despite it's interior shortcomings. Then on and on and on...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

Overall, it's okay. Regarding the CT5, I like it, but I'd like to see the front be a little less blunt ... needs more jutting of the chin. Rear looks good. XT6? Not much they could do to make me like an SUV.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, and lots more (garage queen)
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (hooked up to 220v right now)

Banned
    Thanks
    Considering the only thing to go by is the XT6 and CT6 redo in the metal I think the poll is premature. All the hoopla really comes down to whether one believes that the CT5 is a good replacement for the CTS. Based on the the piss poor rendering presented in 3/4s. If I relied on that and the absolute worst color choice to present said 3/4 shot in I'd question it too. but then someone put a side profile in three gorgeous colors and I was smitten 😉

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,335 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

CT5 is pretty good IMO. I'll echo others in that XT6 isn't the best design but it'll still sell like hotcakes.

XT4 and CT6 are probably the best designs Cadillac has right now. Oddly enough I really love the current XTS refresh, so much that I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap used one in the future.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-24-2019),buildacariwant (03-25-2019),Dheart (03-24-2019),jzchev28 (03-25-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,401 Times in 3,727 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

XT6 is dull, CT5 looks like a knockoff Infiniti/Honda/Mazda that would be featured in an insurance company commercial.

GM design as a whole is failing. Hell, who am I kidding, the entire company is. Even the interiors have become **** the last 5 or so years.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (03-25-2019)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information