A Cadillac Omega CUV? And a V version?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cadillac Omega CUV? And a V version?

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

A Cadillac Omega CUV? And a V version?

Should there be one of these in Cadillac's future?
    September 4th, 2013
    by MonaroSS

Simple proposition... Given that even Bentley and Jaguar are now looking to produce ultra luxury CUV's; should Cadillac spin one off of the Omega platform?

While I am not personally big on CUV's, I say if there is a market for it and if it can help spread the cost of the platform then yes.

BTW, I don't see this being a replacement for the Escalade, the two vehicles would be very different beasts.

I see this as going more along the lines of a super luxury Porsche Cayenne. Give it a 700hp twin turbo V8 and with the handling dynamics of ATS style suspension, it will not be in the Escalade space.

Nor will it be a simple family hauler...

What say you?

Click for Larger View

And if we could get our wish and GM made pillarless 4-door vehicles again.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 09-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,028 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Re: Should Cadillac make an Omega CUV?

Nice Work! I'm sure a good deal of the Elmiraj styling cues will wind up the Cadillac mid-size CUV, but that will most likely be on the downsized Lambda II platform.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

God I hope not. If they do, hopefully it's not a stretched out version of the coupe / sedan.

How does this make front page, but the Holden designers design of a 2 door commodore is a footnote.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Eventually they should, but they can only conquer so many mountains at a time. I think the ATS and CTS line needs most of the attention for the moment. Let's not forget that Caddy already has a fairly successful SRX (though not a ultra-lux contender) and a brand new Escalade coming soon.

My overall point is that this shouldn't be a focus vehicle until they have really establish themselves in the ATS and CTS markets.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMWM View Post
    My instant reaction is no.

Escalade = no big gaping hole in the lineup, like with a big RWD sedan and coupe. Cadillac needs to keep the focus on Escalade, like Chevrolet treats the Corvette. Its one of the most important nameplates within GM.
    Of course Jaguar really has the Range Rover, which is like their Escalade, but they are also still looking to do a luxury CUV as well... And CUV's are the fastest growing market segment in the world.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

No. I think it would be a market failure,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,812 Posts

First: I feel that's one of your best works.

Should it happen? I think it would be terrific. It would depend on what it would offer vis-a-vis the Escalade. Omega (I'm guessing) is a uni-body platform and Escalade is BOF.

Should Cadillac offer both? OR............should an Omega platform CUV REPLACE the Escalade?
    "The Four Most Over-Rated Things In Life Are Champagne, Lobster, An*l Sex, And Picnics."

-Christopher Hitchens

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

This car is coming, but I feel it will be the sedan...A car-based SUV is possible given the Escalade's platform, but we need to see the Escalade for clues on what direction they will take with it and where other SUVs might fit in...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,812 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xwoodx View Post
    How does this make front page, but the Holden designers design of a 2 door commodore is a footnote.
    Well this question answers itself.
    "The Four Most Over-Rated Things In Life Are Champagne, Lobster, An*l Sex, And Picnics."

-Christopher Hitchens

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xwoodx View Post
    God I hope not. If they do, hopefully it's not a stretched out version of the coupe / sedan.

What's Holden?

it is all numbers...Holden has a very small, specific target market in Australia and a few other places...Most people do not even know what Holden is around the world (almost everyone in the world has heard of Cadillac), and at the day Holden is still just one brand in the GM global portfolio...Not trying to be negative about Holden, because it is a great part of the global GM family, but the reality is the Holden brand might not be around in a couple of years...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    Should there be one of these in Cadillac's future?
    September 4th, 2013
    by MonaroSS

Simple proposition... Given that even Bentley and Jaguar are now looking to produce ultra luxury CUV's; should Cadillac spin one off of the Omega platform?

While I am not personally big on CUV's, I say if there is a market for it and if it can help spread the cost of the platform then yes.

What say you?

A Simple Proposition deserves a Simple Answer ........... YES!

That said, your proposal could fill out an "Omega" lineup, consisting of a 4dr Sedan, Coupe, Convertible and CUV (Hatchback?).

My concern would be ..... does this lineup take away the cash Cadillac needs to fix it's existing product (SRX, Escalade,etc) and bring them up to what they should be?
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Cadillac already has the Escalade, at the prices this thing sells at they should be offereing way more features and tech in it. Unofficially/Officially its the halo vehicle in the Cadillac line up, its the Cadillac that most aspire to owning because of the image with it, IMO. I can't wait to see the new one but GM should be spending money on this to keep it a cut above anything else on the market all the luxury features available. I'm sure we'll see this on the next gen soon to be out.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 eaton53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,505 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I don't know if they should, but if there is a flagship there is a high probability that there will be a CUV version of it.
    The segment is ridiculously lucrative. It can't be ignored... there's just so much easy money to be made.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMWM View Post
    My instant reaction is no.

Escalade = no big gaping hole in the lineup, like with a big RWD sedan and coupe. Cadillac needs to keep the focus on Escalade, like Chevrolet treats the Corvette. Its one of the most important nameplates within GM.
    Escalade is a big deal at Cadillac though it's only been around for 15 years. I think people forget it's there or take it for granted. This idea would step right over the Escalade's territory.

I would prefer it to be a three seat station wagon. Whole idea of these studies is that they have low cowls and low roofs - 55." CUV-ifiying would ruin the proportions and throw all the 'hard points' off. The wagon could actually be the basis for a hearse too. Two birds, one stone!
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    BMW and GMC

NO! Absolutely not. The beauty of the Elmiraj (Eldorado) is diminished if the same shapes and forms are applied to a frumpy CUV. The Elmiraj should stand apart and on its own; it should look, as it does, classically Cadillac but its lines shouldn't be applied to any other vehicle and certainly not to a family hauler.

Many here have talked about how the groundbreaking beauty of the 1975 Cadillac Seville was diminished by the fact that GM applied the same look to nearly everything for the next 15 years. As such, when looking backward, the Seville has lost its uniqueness. In my opinion, the equally radical and beautiful 1980 Seville thankfully did not suffer the same fate and remains essentially in the company of one. Love it or hate it, there remains nothing like it and that quality is important. In much the same way, the 1967 Eldorado though more imitated was never copied as the '75 Seville was and to this day retains a very unique and beautiful form. Another example would be the '66 Toronado.

GM should never water-down the Elmiraj by taking its beautiful lines and attempting to create a modern day station wagon. I am not necessarily saying no to a Omega-based crossover but definitely not as imagined above.
    Last edited by 32016; 09-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information