GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac Laguna-Seca - a Panamera fighter?

21K views 84 replies 47 participants last post by  70eldo 
#1 · (Edited)
Cadillac Laguna-Seca
a Panamera fighter?

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 21 March 2013

Today member DirtyMoney asked me to chop a Caddy Panamera competitor from the C7 Corvette. It doesn't really lend itself for that but a Panamera fighter on a stretched Alpha+ could work and that got me thinking...

OK, so we have a new CTS and presumably a new CTS-V on the way. We also believe that there will be a new large Cadillac sedan and perhaps coupe on Omega. But where is the brutal performance Cadillac of the near future going to come from? And I don't just mean brutal in terms of power, but in terms of on-the-road image.

For me the modern day Cadillac brand only hit my radar when GM crammed a small block V8 into a CTS and made the first CTS-V. Like many, with just a V6 in it, I would never have seen the CTS beyond a BMW 3 or 5 Series. And it wasn't just the go, but also the show, that caught my eye. It had a stance and a purpose to it. Yes we can say that it and the following CTS-V and CTS-V Coupe may look a bit like street fighters. And some may complain they are not sophisticated looking enough for where Cadillac wants to be in the marketplace. But have you seen some of the Benz AMG's lately - talk about brutal and street fighter looks.

So I am just a bit worried that the new ATS-V and the next CTS-V may be a bit too mild mannered looking, as Cadillac seeks to make them appear more sophisticated. Yes, I can see good marketing reasons why that may be a smart move, especially for conservative markets in Asia and Europe, but does Cadillac want to completely walk away from making muscular bruisers in suits? I hope not.

To that end I think perhaps GM should consider putting it's Caddy muscle image into a dedicated bruiser of a street machine that has as it's raison d'etre the power and performance to take on and beat all comers in its class. Cars such as the Panamera should be it's prime target, and if it needs a 7 litre DI Twin-Turbo pushrod V8, and huge hood and fender vents to exhaust all the heat of such a monster power plant, then all the better...

OK, Cadillac could off the TTV6 as an entry-level motor, but it would be an 800hp/1000 ft-lb TTV8 Laguna-Seca-V that would bring home the bacon. Let's face it, it is going to be a few generations before Cadillac will be perceived to be as sophisticated as its Euro competitors; but top-speed, 0-60 and Nürburgring numbers are faster to establish...

Click to Enlarge

EDIT: Below is for those who wanted to see what it would look like as a 4-door Corvette Super America...

Click to Enlarge

EDIT: Below are some mods people have requested to tone it down a bit...

I guess the standard sedan could be like the bottom pic and the 3-window with the different front clip, hood vents and more pronounced fender vents and flairs could be the V version...

Click to Enlarge

And a split between the two...

;)

See less See more
#2 ·
that is striking. I think the hood scoop is probably a bit much for a Cadillac, but the overall concept of the car and the design you put together are awesome looking. I could easily see some reclining rear seats working back there.

#3 ·
I'm sure regulations would require some modifications, BUT - THAT is what the top Caddy should look like. Nicely done!:clap:

#10 ·
There are actually two hood scoops, the other one can't be seen as it is on the other side of the hood ridgeline. Those scoops, which are actually extracter vents, would only be on the V and the non-V side vents would be more shallow and with a more delicate mesh grille..

;)

#9 ·
Very very good MonaroSS! Love it! Now thats a Cadillac! Looks like something that could ruffle the feathers of a S Class Mercedes.

#17 · (Edited)
It in my opinion is too large, and it evokes the XTS in many ways. I would like to see a next gen Alpha CTS 4 door coupe variant that would incorporate V styling cues, and also feature a bit of the styling evident on the CTS-V Coupe.
There is a reason why I used the XTS windows with the 3rd side window, and it's the same reason the Panamera has it's rear door window line rise up. It's because a four door as low as these need rear head height and you need to disguise that with some design feature. The longer XTS side window profile makes it look longer and hides the rear roof height.

I also think many who don't like the XTS styling have a simple aversion to it being FWD and so make an association of dislike for the styling which had it been on a RWD platform would have looked far better...

In a way, just as I did the thread on what Impala would have looked like on Zeta, this also shows us what XTS would have looked like on a RWD platform like Zeta...

;)

#14 ·
It in my opinion is too large, and it evokes the XTS in many ways. I would like to see a next gen Alpha CTS 4 door coupe variant that would incorporate V styling cues, and also feature a bit of the styling evident on the CTS-V Coupe.

#24 ·
What about this striking machine being a High Performance return of the STS positioned between the next CTS and the upcoming large sedan model? It could be the competitor to the premium four door coupes with BIG Power as a top performance focused Cadillac Model!

#30 ·
A shorter version of this same car is where caddy needs to be. Although a touch of a Porsche styling, make this very much a car that Cadillac could and should sell at the next level. >$80k+ No I couldn't afford one but it would be nice to see something like this around.

#32 ·
Wow!!! That is nice!! Good work! I didn't know if you would do it or not, but you came through! I want to know how long it takes you to draw up a concept. The rear slightly reminds me of the 2000 Buick LaCrosse concept. Well, that's where my imagination took me. Thank you!! Can I post this on Facebook?

#33 ·
Thanks. It took about 40-50 minutes, but I did it in about 4 goes and came back to it. Sometimes you have to try something and then do something else and come back and look at it again with fresh eyes to see what else can be done... The basic shapes only take minutes, most of the time is fine-tuning and detail finishes.

Sure you can post it...

;)

#39 ·
This is some of your best work hands down. I wouldn't change a thing. I would add for engine choices a hybrid diesel making 600+ hp and tq.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.