Cadillac Laguna-Seca - a Panamera fighter?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Laguna-Seca - a Panamera fighter?

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Cadillac Laguna-Seca - a Panamera fighter?

Cadillac Laguna-Seca
    a Panamera fighter?

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
    GMI Contributor – 21 March 2013

Today member DirtyMoney asked me to chop a Caddy Panamera competitor from the C7 Corvette. It doesn't really lend itself for that but a Panamera fighter on a stretched Alpha+ could work and that got me thinking...

OK, so we have a new CTS and presumably a new CTS-V on the way. We also believe that there will be a new large Cadillac sedan and perhaps coupe on Omega. But where is the brutal performance Cadillac of the near future going to come from? And I don't just mean brutal in terms of power, but in terms of on-the-road image.

For me the modern day Cadillac brand only hit my radar when GM crammed a small block V8 into a CTS and made the first CTS-V. Like many, with just a V6 in it, I would never have seen the CTS beyond a BMW 3 or 5 Series. And it wasn't just the go, but also the show, that caught my eye. It had a stance and a purpose to it. Yes we can say that it and the following CTS-V and CTS-V Coupe may look a bit like street fighters. And some may complain they are not sophisticated looking enough for where Cadillac wants to be in the marketplace. But have you seen some of the Benz AMG's lately - talk about brutal and street fighter looks.

So I am just a bit worried that the new ATS-V and the next CTS-V may be a bit too mild mannered looking, as Cadillac seeks to make them appear more sophisticated. Yes, I can see good marketing reasons why that may be a smart move, especially for conservative markets in Asia and Europe, but does Cadillac want to completely walk away from making muscular bruisers in suits? I hope not.

To that end I think perhaps GM should consider putting it's Caddy muscle image into a dedicated bruiser of a street machine that has as it's raison d'etre the power and performance to take on and beat all comers in its class. Cars such as the Panamera should be it's prime target, and if it needs a 7 litre DI Twin-Turbo pushrod V8, and huge hood and fender vents to exhaust all the heat of such a monster power plant, then all the better...

OK, Cadillac could off the TTV6 as an entry-level motor, but it would be an 800hp/1000 ft-lb TTV8 Laguna-Seca-V that would bring home the bacon. Let's face it, it is going to be a few generations before Cadillac will be perceived to be as sophisticated as its Euro competitors; but top-speed, 0-60 and Nürburgring numbers are faster to establish...

Click to Enlarge

EDIT: Below is for those who wanted to see what it would look like as a 4-door Corvette Super America...

Click to Enlarge

EDIT: Below are some mods people have requested to tone it down a bit...

I guess the standard sedan could be like the bottom pic and the 3-window with the different front clip, hood vents and more pronounced fender vents and flairs could be the V version...

Click to Enlarge

And a split between the two...

Last edited by MonaroSS; 04-06-2013 at 01:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

Re: Cadillac Laguna-Seca - a Panamera fighter?

that is striking. I think the hood scoop is probably a bit much for a Cadillac, but the overall concept of the car and the design you put together are awesome looking. I could easily see some reclining rear seats working back there.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

Thanks

I'm sure regulations would require some modifications, BUT - THAT is what the top Caddy should look like. Nicely done!
    Current rides: 2014 GMC Terrain, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Beautiful, but I think the grill is a little too steeply sloped.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,519 Times in 1,349 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

The hood scoop and side cove vent are a little too much, but Cadillac could definitely use something like this.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    that is striking. I think the hood scoop is probably a bit much for a Cadillac, but the overall concept of the car and the design you put together are awesome looking. I could easily see some reclining rear seats working back there.
    Thanks, it should be striking to both see and hear arrive or pass by on the street. The hood vent would only be on the V...

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

You can quit your day job now.

Nice work.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow!!! That would blow the doors off the Panamera! Love it!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Very very good MonaroSS! Love it! Now thats a Cadillac! Looks like something that could ruffle the feathers of a S Class Mercedes.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    The hood scoop and side cove vent are a little too much, but Cadillac could definitely use something like this.
    There are actually two hood scoops, the other one can't be seen as it is on the other side of the hood ridgeline. Those scoops, which are actually extracter vents, would only be on the V and the non-V side vents would be more shallow and with a more delicate mesh grille..

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

foiled again by the title as I eat lunch - a chop request is GM related news how exactly? OP EDs have merit in the forum but not as top level GMI news.
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,519 Times in 1,349 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Can you maybe change the side cove vent to something more angular?
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 5,617 Posts

Side vents are a bit much, and the front needs to be more upright. It still looks too XTS-y, to me.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

It in my opinion is too large, and it evokes the XTS in many ways. I would like to see a next gen Alpha CTS 4 door coupe variant that would incorporate V styling cues, and also feature a bit of the styling evident on the CTS-V Coupe.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    foiled again by the title as I eat lunch - a chop request is GM related news how exactly? OP EDs have merit in the forum but not as top level GMI news.
    Again, let your pointer hover 1/2 a second over the topic and it says it's an Op-Ed... Beside you always like to post in these threads to complain, so where is the harm in you opening it?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information