Cadillac Flagship doesn't have to be a Sedan.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Flagship doesn't have to be a Sedan.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Cadillac Flagship doesn't have to be a Sedan.

Cadillac Flagship.
    It doesn't have to be a Sedan.

CLICK FOR LARGER VIEW

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
    GMI Contributor 11 June 2010

Everyone is assuming that any new Cadillac Flagship will be a large sedan. But even the story breaking the idea said the vehicle was not specified yet. Even though it probably will be a sedan, it's not certain that such will be the case. It could be a large Coupe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Car&Driver
    Cadillac fans will be thrilled to hear that Ed Whitacre himself has instructed the brand to build a true, full-size flagship above both the CTS and the upcoming XTS. The car has not been clearly defined yet.
    I did the above chop to represent a Coupe that GM Design had already done based on the Sixteen and which had received some media reports several years back. I sent this chop to Bob Lutz some time back and discussed the idea that when Camaro moves to the Alpha platform then there exists the cost effective opportunity to leave the current Camaro production on Zeta in place and redesign it. Using the latest mods from Holden on Zeta II and stretching the hood even further, it could be a good base to re-body as the Cadillac Flagship Coupe form of the Sixteen. Fit it with an XTS Platinum type luxury interior with even higher levels of custom hides, woods and semi precious stone finishes and it could be extraordinary.

Given the work already done making the Camaro Zeta a Convertible as well, then a Convertible version of this Cadillac Flagship could also be offered.

Bob thought it was very attractive, and of course we know the styling clay and some studies at least already existed inside GM Design. So perhaps they tossed around the idea of a Zeta Camaro being reborn as a luxury Cadillac? We can only but speculate. The Zeta platform is going to get upgrades from Holden and the manufacturing already is in place in Canada. So it does not have to be an expensive option with most of the costs already paid for by Commodore and Camaro sales. Its a comprehensive re-body and new interior upgrade, not a clean sheet design that Cadillac could not really justify on the small numbers. We have already seen how the Chinese upgraded the Holden interior for a limited run Flagship Buick Park Avenue, so the next generation Caprice interior Im sure could get a Cadillac makeover with lavishings of luxury for a Flagship and go into the Camaro inner shell with a new stylish exterior. The Zeta under Camaro handles very well and is comfortable and, with the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) already on high end Holden's, can be more so. But while it is also a heavy, strong platform, that some regret being used under Camaro, such weight and strength is actually a positive in a Flagship Luxury Coupe.

Power-wise we know an LS9 can slip under the hood to match the Germans and be mated to a new 8-speed auto or the next generation 2-Mode drive train. The frame can take it as Holdens already run around England and OZ with supercharged V8s in them making big power. I think that this new Cadillac Flagship could well be a powerful luxury Coupe based on Zeta and Camaro. However if not, then a Cadillac Sedan Flagship could easily have a Coupe companion paired with it as described above. What do you think? And what should Cadillac call it if they do it?

Below is a variation of the styling to incorporate a sharper more Converj style rising bodyline and fins. A well-known GMI member requested it

CLICK FOR LARGER VIEW

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac Flagship doesn't have to be a Sedan.

Yes but it should not be a SUV/CUV either...

Lovely chops there MonaroSS. Your talents continue to amaze.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Let's just hope whatever it is that there aren't sedan, coupe, and wagon versions.

I like the work you've done here. I'm sure there are loads of subtle differences I'll pick up on later, as I always do. I'm afraid I don't really love it though. It's cool, but it's just not my speed! I'm afraid there aren't many that would buy it either.

Now... I'm sure you remember the Kappa Riviera you did a while back. How about a Cadillac version?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 boblutzfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy SS / 2015 / 6M

A coupe is fine...but for Cadillac to rise to the top and compete with the worlds best it will need a RWD sedan with a large engine to lead the way.

I say bring this fine coupe and a long wheelbase sedan as well. They both don't need to be high volume...but bring it just to show that GM can still do it.

Follow Hyundai's lead. They are bringing the Equus not to make money on it...but to show the world - specifically the US what they are capable of doing. That is what Cadillac needs to do...or they risk becoming just another Lincoln type badge engineered luxury brand.
    My current ride - 2015 Chevy SS with a six speed manual and sunroof

Previous Rides:
    1996 Cougar XR7 4.6 V8 - retired at 121K trouble free miles
    1996 Nissan 240SX SE - retired at 111K trouble free miles
    2004 Mazda6S - retired at 65K trouble free miles
    2005 Cadillac CTS - worst car ever owned - got rid of at 52K miles
    2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 with a six speed manual

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

They need a luxury RWD sedan. Large coupes sell in miniscule volumes. Make the sedan first then if it's selling design a coupe off it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

interesting idea. with MRC and some more use of aluminum to lighten it up a bit, i think zeta could make a fine cadillac coupe

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

And as far as Kappa goes, i never did understand why they let it die. Further development could have meant some awesome little roadsters for chevy, buick, and opel. I don't think Kappa was premium enough for cadillac but a second gen could've remedied that.

RIP...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

How about calling it Eldorado?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, but that would leave Eldorado and Escalade as the only caddys with real names. Its funny because the Escalade Platinum and "Eldorado" would probably be the most expensive vehicles in the whole lineup. You gets what ya pays for I guess.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Wink Re: Cadillac Flagship doesn't have to be a Sedan.

Your non-converj version does it for me. I think it could be the halo car for caddy in addition to the sedan. I've got an old high school friend who has a bentley coupe (he's doing quite well) and it is a definite head turner. I'd say your version of a 16 coupe could compete looks wise with the bentley easily.
    As always your work is remarkable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Lot of baggage with that name...most people under the age of 45 associate it with this:

While certainly not a terrible car, it was hardly world class. Cadillac's flagship has to be world class and highly competitive!
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Lot of baggage with that name...most people under the age of 45 associate it with this:

While certainly not a terrible car, it was hardly world class. Cadillac's flagship has to be world class and highly competitive!
    True, but I think that Ford has proven with the Taurus and GM with the Camaro that this "baggage" can be overcome with great product. People have short attention spans and if the flagship is a real head turner they could call it eldorado and get away with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,124 Times in 1,709 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

They need a sedan first.

I'd offer three engines in these models:
    Sixty Two = LS3
    Sixty Two Special = LSA
    Sixty Two Super = LS9

IMO an LS9 powered Cadillac sedan with the requisite luxury accoutrements could easily fetch well into six figures.
    Last edited by eaton53; 06-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

Just guessing here, but I'm going with "4 door coupe" ala everyone else in the world. No way is it going to be the reinvention of a 70s land-barge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    Let's just hope whatever it is that there aren't sedan, coupe, and wagon versions.
    When has that ever been a problem for GM?

Quote Originally Posted by boblutzfan View Post
    Follow Hyundai's lead. They are bringing the Equus not to make money on it...but to show the world - specifically the US what they are capable of doing.
    You are wrong. The Equus is here to turn a profit and lead Hyundai up into Lexus/MB territory.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    interesting idea. with MRC and some more use of aluminum to lighten it up a bit, i think zeta could make a fine cadillac coupe
    With all due respect, this seems like a terrible idea. How much mocking would GM endure (especially on this site) if they turned a Chevy into a Caddy? Besides all the Cimmeron jokes, it would actually be worse than that because GM would be using a Chevy to make a Caddy flagship.
    Current Hidden Content
    2013 Chevy Spark
    2010 Honda Odyssey
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

R.I.P. Hidden Content
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid (given to my brother)
    1999 Honda Elite (stolen)
    1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1996 Honda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    1995 Honda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

Thanks

Is this necessary ?, we all know it's going to be a sedan .
    Take a look at my avatar, isn't he attractive ? ;D

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information