Autoextremist: the biggest bet in automotive history - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Autoextremist: the biggest bet in automotive history

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,017 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Autoextremist: the biggest bet in automotive history

2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I will say it again for those in the back. Chasing Tesla down a road which only they understand where it goes is a fool's errand. No one has yet begun to even come close to Tesla's range vs battery size, and still as of yet they are struggling to monetize their lead in these areas.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to germeezy1 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (07-16-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,885 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I will say it again for those in the back. Chasing Tesla down a road which only they understand where it goes is a fool's errand. No one has yet begun to even come close to Tesla's range vs battery size, and still as of yet they are struggling to monetize their lead in these areas.
    Agreed.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Meanwhile at Tesla,

SCI-TECH
    Elon Musk: SpaceX Starship aims for crucial hover test July 16
    The "hopper" is ready to explore life off the ground.

BY
    AMANDA KOOSER
    JULY 12, 2019 10:02 AM PDT

The SpaceX Starship "hopper" prototype has a big test set for Tuesday.

Ever since SpaceX founder Elon Musk unveiled the bright and shiny Starship prototype, space fans have been aching for it to take off in a blaze of glory. We're almost there. The current Starship prototype, a "hopper" vehicle built for short test flights, is ready for hovering.

Musk took to Twitter late Thursday to share the schedule. "Raptor engine mounted on Starhopper. Aiming for hover test Tuesday," he tweeted using the nickname for the Starship "hopper" prototype. Tuesday also happens to mark the 50th anniversary of NASA's launch of the Apollo 11, which carried humans to the surface of the moon in 1969.

The hopper is under development at a SpaceX facility in Boca Chica Village, Texas. A previous test in April involved Starship trying out a tiny liftoff with a single Raptor engine providing the power.

This time, Starhopper will aim to reach over 65 feet (20 meters) off the ground and move a little sideways, Musk tweeted. SpaceX is expected to livestream the event.

If the hover test is successful, it will put SpaceX on the path to a much more ambitious goal of reaching 12 miles (20 kilometers) within a few months.

Elon Musk says Mars and Starship update could come later this month
    Musk must be feeling confident about the testing. He already announced plans for a presentation about the Starship in late July after the hover test, where we could get updates on SpaceX's plans to fly around the moon with a group of artists in 2023.

SpaceX fans have been keeping an eye on the work in Texas, capturing video of the Raptor engine's arrival and its mounting to the Starhopper on Thursday.

Musk also tweeted the company has changed the rocket design "quite a bit" and that he will reveal more at the presentation. Starship is expected to eventually launch with multiple Raptors, but just one is enough for initial testing. SpaceX will aim to keep it above 50% throttle for this upcoming flight, according to Musk.

Starship is meant to be an all-purpose, next-generation spaceship capable of servicing missions to Earth orbit as well as more distant destinations. SpaceX's grand goal is to send a cargo mission to Mars in 2022 and a crew in 2024, though deadlines like that tend to slip, sometimes quite a bit.

While it's fun to imagine Starship reaching Mars in just a few short years, there is a lot that needs to go right to get there, starting with this landmark hover test next week.

https://www.cnet.com/news/elon-musk-...-test-july-16/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (07-18-2019)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

I think more folks should read PDL's column this week. Moving thread.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-15-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-16-2019),SVT74 (07-15-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I think more folks should read PDL's column this week. Moving thread.
    Yes, his col this week addresses some of his misconceptions from last week.
    Hidden Content

twitter: forzablitz

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yello430 View Post
    I didn't read it, I'll have to look it up.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

it is just a matter of horses for courses. Some areas are more suited to electric vehicles than others.here in Australia we have little use for studded tyres as we don't have ice much but you guys do so you have a market we don't the same could apply to electric vehicles. half the US may find them attractive and half no so. The one thing that intrigues me is that Norway is embracing electric vehicles (even though it is still only 2%) and I am under the impression it gets a bit cold there. Is it just that they don;'t have to drive far that makes electric vehicles viable there?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (07-16-2019),Neanderthal (07-16-2019),richmond2000 (07-18-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yello430 View Post
    They are only misconceptions if he is wrong. I personally don't think that he is.
    Last edited by SVT74; 07-16-2019 at 12:27 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-18-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,195 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    it is just a matter of horses for courses. Some areas are more suited to electric vehicles than others.here in Australia we have little use for studded tyres as we don't have ice much but you guys do so you have a market we don't the same could apply to electric vehicles. half the US may find them attractive and half no so. The one thing that intrigues me is that Norway is embracing electric vehicles (even though it is still only 2%) and I am under the impression it gets a bit cold there. Is it just that they don;'t have to drive far that makes electric vehicles viable there?
    I would say that is it................ Norway is about the size of California. Their population centers are very dense as their population is less than my state of Arizona. As is the case with many things, what works ok in a small area with a small population doesn't work in a country as vast as the US. For me, electric will never work. We get snow, we have mountains, it can get very cold in the winter, and A/C is an absolute necessity in the summer, and we are far from a population center. My community is a perfect example of how expecting the entire country to go electric overnight is a fools errand. While I think it will gain in popularity in the population centers, there are HUGE expanses of land with nothing, and no chance to sit waiting to charge your electric car.

We took a vacation a couple of years ago to Disney World. We drove across our beautiful country 2200 miles one way. We slept 2 nights on the road, and our last stint was over 900 miles (my husband is a truck driver, so not a big deal). We would have spent the majority of our 2 week vacation just getting to Disney and back in an electric car. That is not acceptable, and Americans will not put up with it.
    The resident "girl"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Extreme4x4 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-16-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Hybrid is the best option period. Full Electric will cause more harm than good. The amount of trash these batteries will create will be a big problem. These same people thought it was good idea to have plastic grocery bags and plastic bottles for everything. They said we will recycle. Well we see how well that went. Despite the talk about renewable energy oil and gas are constantly being renewed. Despite what people think. We also have more Trees on the planet than the last 100 years but still people think we are destroying the earth. We aren't even close. We could destroy every human on earth and the earth will still have a crap load of CO2 being released. To even think we can control any of this is a pipe dream. the only thing we can control is killing everyone and the earth will be fine.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pontiacgt02 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-16-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-16-2019),gkr778 (07-18-2019),Neanderthal (07-16-2019),SVT74 (07-16-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    I would say that is it................ Norway is about the size of California. Their population centers are very dense as their population is less than my state of Arizona. As is the case with many things, what works ok in a small area with a small population doesn't work in a country as vast as the US. For me, electric will never work. We get snow, we have mountains, it can get very cold in the winter, and A/C is an absolute necessity in the summer, and we are far from a population center. My community is a perfect example of how expecting the entire country to go electric overnight is a fools errand. While I think it will gain in popularity in the population centers, there are HUGE expanses of land with nothing, and no chance to sit waiting to charge your electric car.

We took a vacation a couple of years ago to Disney World. We drove across our beautiful country 2200 miles one way. We slept 2 nights on the road, and our last stint was over 900 miles (my husband is a truck driver, so not a big deal). We would have spent the majority of our 2 week vacation just getting to Disney and back in an electric car. That is not acceptable, and Americans will not put up with it.
    You are completely right. Only place electric and driverless vehicles make any sense is in large population areas like New York and Chicago. Most of the country it will be worthless. I think people forget how big the United States is. Next time you in plane look down we have so much land that is no occupied. Electric cars will not be viable in such large distance between major cities. Just the cost and energy to build the charging stations would be a big waste of money and resources.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I average 30-40 miles per day. EV would be perfect for my needs because it would be fully charged every morning and ready to go. It will be great not having to stop at the gas station once a week. For occasional longer trip, at least in midwest, Tesla seems to have superchargers every 60-70 miles no matter in what direction i'm going. I like taking a break every 2-3 hours anyways so I don't think I'll ever feel like i'm wasting time at the supercharger. My next car will very likely be a Model 3.
    I do recognize that different people have different needs and, for some, current EVs may not work. That said, current EV market share is 2.5%, if i remember correctly, and the people with similar driving needs to mine represent way larger percentage of the market than 2.5%........so i think EV market share will continue growing.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Yes, but you have to consider that because in Norvay they may need studded tires, therefore Australians should also be forced to don studded tires for winter season. Reality is just a bunch of BS, it does not interfere with the grandiose plans of the Masters of the Universe. Understand, they consider themselves Very Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post

Yup, pretty much BINGO.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    Hybrid is the best option period. Full Electric will cause more harm than good. The amount of trash these batteries will create will be a big problem. These same people thought it was good idea to have plastic grocery bags and plastic bottles for everything. They said we will recycle. Well we see how well that went. Despite the talk about renewable energy oil and gas are constantly being renewed. Despite what people think. We also have more Trees on the planet than the last 100 years but still people think we are destroying the earth. We aren't even close. We could destroy every human on earth and the earth will still have a crap load of CO2 being released. To even think we can control any of this is a pipe dream. the only thing we can control is killing everyone and the earth will be fine.
    Exactly right. Yet The Central Planners just Move On Dot Org from their failures to new, more colossal failures.
    They have no humility, no interest in anything but power and control over the great unwashed peasantry.
    That is how all tyrants are hard wired.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    You are completely right. Only place electric and driverless vehicles make any sense is in large population areas like New York and Chicago. Most of the country it will be worthless. I think people forget how big the United States is. Next time you in plane look down we have so much land that is no occupied. Electric cars will not be viable in such large distance between major cities. Just the cost and energy to build the charging stations would be a big waste of money and resources.
    What else is there? The Masters of the Universe all live in very congested urban areas. The rest of us are just flyover trash, what we think, want, or will do does not matter one iota. Peasants just need to do as they're told.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    They are only misconceptions if he is wrong. I personally don't think that he is.
    He was correct last week. He's wrong this week. What happened?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-16-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-16-2019),SVT74 (07-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,708 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Member17739 View Post
    I average 30-40 miles per day.
    This is why Volts & ELRs work.
    You can do your 30-40 miles on electric, but don't have to waste a bunch of time charging if you want to go farther.
    Much cheaper to buy as well. Even a CPO '16 ELR is under $30K now.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information