L5P emission issues

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L5P emission issues

2.5L Iron Duke Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2500HD LTZ/2018/Graphite

L5P emission issues

I have an 2018 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax L5P engine introduced in 2017. I've owned it for 19 days and it has been back to the dealer in and around their shop for 12 days. It is showing codes for malfunctioning emission system. The dealer thinks it is a faulty Diesel Particulant Filter and/or can not figure why it is plugging. These issues are not new with the L5P engine and have been around since mandated in 2011 with the then new LML engine. My question is just how wide spread are these issues. And my problem down the road is, if I trade the truck back should I get another and risk the same problems or just try to get my money back and wait for GM to get their act together.
    Last edited by Upnorth18; 08-27-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: L5P emission issues

I am a heavy truck mechanic and aftertreatment is ALMOST the ONLY thing we work on when it comes to engines
    a lot of school boards and ambulance services are buying petrol/gas power to get away from DPF/SCR systems

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth18 View Post
    I have an 2018 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax L5P engine introduced in 2017. I've owned it for 19 days and it has been back to the dealer in and around their shop for 12 days. It is showing codes for malfunctioning emission system. The dealer thinks it is a faulty Diesel Particulant Filter and/or can not figure why it is plugging. These issues are not new with the L5P engine and have been around since mandated in 2011 with the then new LML engine. My question is just how wide spread are these issues. And my problem down the road is, if I trade the truck back should I get another and risk the same problems or just try to get my money back and wait for GM to get their act together.

My two cents: (I'm not a heavy truck mechanic) - If the dealer cannot repair a new vehicle that has an immediate defect, I would NOT get another one. I would research the Lemon Law for your state, ensure your vehicle fits the criteria (you may have to have it be out-of-service for more days), and begin the repurchase process using an attorney (I'm not an attorney).

I have gone through two repurchases under my state's Lemon Law with Chevrolet vehicles (1997 Camaro Z-28 convertible and a 2011 Impala LTZ).

If the dealer can't fix it now - do you think they will be able to fix it in a year or two or three?

Good luck. What a shame.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2500HD LTZ/2018/Graphite

I have done the homework and marked the countdown days on my calendar. One of the reasons for the post was to find out how widespread these emission issues are. I love the diesel and and truck. One would hope that after 8 years of putting exhaust controls on their vehicles that they would work without repeated trouble.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I am a heavy truck mechanic and aftertreatment is ALMOST the ONLY thing we work on when it comes to engines
    a lot of school boards and ambulance services are buying petrol/gas power to get away from DPF/SCR systems
    One of my friends went to buy a John Deere tractor and the local shop would not sell him one with the def fluid on it. They sold him a used one. He asked why not a new one and they told him that they would not sell one to any of there customers they would rather lose a sale than the customer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to linton23 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-28-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2500HD LTZ/2018/Graphite

linton23. My dealer advised me they get $95/hr from GM to do warranty work. Can you divulge if there comes a time when they no longer want to work on a vehicle because it is just using up their allotment of warrant work money? It's nearing the second week and they keep me advised they don't know what's wrong with it, daily. Their idea of Customer Service.

se

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

linton23. My dealer advised me they get $95/hr from GM to do warranty work. Can you divulge if there comes a time when they no longer want to work on a vehicle because it is just using up their allotment of warrant work money? It's nearing the second week and they keep me advised they don't know what's wrong with it, daily. Their idea of Customer Service.

se
    Not really as long as GM pays they will test. Though if they say they dont know whats wrong tell them you are ready to pursue lemon law on it and ask if they will help. That will normally draw a GM engineer in to see whats going on if they can then identify the issue.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to linton23 For This Useful Post:

Upnorth18 (08-30-2017)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    Not really as long as GM pays they will test. Though if they say they dont know whats wrong tell them you are ready to pursue lemon law on it and ask if they will help. That will normally draw a GM engineer in to see whats going on if they can then identify the issue.

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

Upnorth18 (08-30-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

se
    I know dealing with CUMMINS / PETERBILT and other OEM's you HAVE to have the jobs approved for Warranty SAY you have "SCR reductant low quality" a common code on GM's the service manuals will give you step by step tests to perform and each one of those is warrantable but if I say decide to PULL the EGR and test it for no reason other then it *MIGHT* help as it is NOT related to DEF quality that would be denied warranty and the SHOP would EAT that labour + parts
    I know GM has regional tech support phone lines and will send out a tech if the shop can NOT figure it out

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I know dealing with CUMMINS / PETERBILT and other OEM's you HAVE to have the jobs approved for Warranty SAY you have "SCR reductant low quality" a common code on GM's the service manuals will give you step by step tests to perform and each one of those is warrantable but if I say decide to PULL the EGR and test it for no reason other then it *MIGHT* help as it is NOT related to DEF quality that would be denied warranty and the SHOP would EAT that labour + parts
    I know GM has regional tech support phone lines and will send out a tech if the shop can NOT figure it out
    One of the reasons our best electronic tech has quit GM will only pay for the fix not the diagnostic. So on electrical gremlins he crawls around the car for 4 hours testing then gets paid for a 30 min fix. They get approval for fixes that may not like you said be a cure but may fix the issue. My shop had a diesel in last month with a regen code it said it had to clean the filter they reset it and ran a clean 3 times nothing. Took it to a diesel shop here in town and he did the same thing and it cleared.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    One of my friends went to buy a John Deere tractor and the local shop would not sell him one with the def fluid on it. They sold him a used one. He asked why not a new one and they told him that they would not sell one to any of there customers they would rather lose a sale than the customer.
    Ha! My John Deer dealer is opposite! He want's my old tractor as a trade in because he has a long list of folks who'll buy it up for good $$. Try's to wow me with all the new automated features of the new units and never mentioning the emission controls.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ranchman For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-30-2017)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Emissions seem to be a consistent problem in some form or fashion with a lot of manufacturers as of late. Interesting that it is a trend in diesel, whereas I just looked at the thread talking about issues with the new Ford Explorer's emissions causing issues with cops as well.

Any idea why this has sprung up? You'd think with increasing emissions standards these systems would only be getting more refined. Or are the increasing standards causing companies to have to try new things that are in turn failing?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    Ha! My John Deer dealer is opposite! He want's my old tractor as a trade in because he has a long list of folks who'll buy it up for good $$. Try's to wow me with all the new automated features of the new units and never mentioning the emission controls.
    you can ADD automated controls to an existing tractor and even the SAME system as new ones as the autonomous systems come from a 3rd party like trimble or outback systems
    http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/index.aspx
    http://www.outbackguidance.com/Home.aspx

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Partbull View Post
    Emissions seem to be a consistent problem in some form or fashion with a lot of manufacturers as of late. Interesting that it is a trend in diesel, whereas I just looked at the thread talking about issues with the new Ford Explorer's emissions causing issues with cops as well.

Any idea why this has sprung up? You'd think with increasing emissions standards these systems would only be getting more refined. Or are the increasing standards causing companies to have to try new things that are in turn failing?
    there are two unrelated issues here
    #1 the FORD interceptor SUV "cop car" this is a "traditional" exhaust entering the cabin" issue and is NOT related to the emissions system but a LEAK forward of the back of the cabin and the cabin being well sealed it does not vent back out like an OLDER car would

#2 the DIESEL aftertreatment system is so REGULATED to MAINTAIN performance that it sets derate codes LONG before drivability issue crop up
    common being SCR efficiency low OR catalyst reductant bad quality both are codes for DEF fluid system NOT REMOVING ENOUGH Oxides of Nitrogen compared to a CHART the GOVERNMENT mandates
    the standards are SO TIGHT that even MINOR "drift" will set off the codes

Thanks
    My Ride
    2500HD LTZ/2018/Graphite

Spoke with the service tect that is working on my 2018 Duramax today. They believe the EGT's are too low causing the DPF to plug up earlier than normal. Could not explain why it doesn't do a re-gen and take care of it as if the EGT's were higher. The failure to do a re-gen still exists to be a problem. I have serious doubts I will ever drive that vehicle ever again. Day 16 in the shop.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information