GM Inside News Forum banner

L5P emission issues

102K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  Upnorth18 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 2018 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax L5P engine introduced in 2017. I've owned it for 19 days and it has been back to the dealer in and around their shop for 12 days. It is showing codes for malfunctioning emission system. The dealer thinks it is a faulty Diesel Particulant Filter and/or can not figure why it is plugging. These issues are not new with the L5P engine and have been around since mandated in 2011 with the then new LML engine. My question is just how wide spread are these issues. And my problem down the road is, if I trade the truck back should I get another and risk the same problems or just try to get my money back and wait for GM to get their act together.

#5 ·
One of my friends went to buy a John Deere tractor and the local shop would not sell him one with the def fluid on it. They sold him a used one. He asked why not a new one and they told him that they would not sell one to any of there customers they would rather lose a sale than the customer.

#3 ·
My two cents: (I'm not a heavy truck mechanic) - If the dealer cannot repair a new vehicle that has an immediate defect, I would NOT get another one. I would research the Lemon Law for your state, ensure your vehicle fits the criteria (you may have to have it be out-of-service for more days), and begin the repurchase process using an attorney (I'm not an attorney).

I have gone through two repurchases under my state's Lemon Law with Chevrolet vehicles (1997 Camaro Z-28 convertible and a 2011 Impala LTZ).

If the dealer can't fix it now - do you think they will be able to fix it in a year or two or three?

Good luck. What a shame.

#4 ·
I have done the homework and marked the countdown days on my calendar. One of the reasons for the post was to find out how widespread these emission issues are. I love the diesel and and truck. One would hope that after 8 years of putting exhaust controls on their vehicles that they would work without repeated trouble.

#6 ·
linton23. My dealer advised me they get $95/hr from GM to do warranty work. Can you divulge if there comes a time when they no longer want to work on a vehicle because it is just using up their allotment of warrant work money? It's nearing the second week and they keep me advised they don't know what's wrong with it, daily. Their idea of Customer Service.

se

#12 ·
Emissions seem to be a consistent problem in some form or fashion with a lot of manufacturers as of late. Interesting that it is a trend in diesel, whereas I just looked at the thread talking about issues with the new Ford Explorer's emissions causing issues with cops as well.

Any idea why this has sprung up? You'd think with increasing emissions standards these systems would only be getting more refined. Or are the increasing standards causing companies to have to try new things that are in turn failing?

#14 ·
there are two unrelated issues here
#1 the FORD interceptor SUV "cop car" this is a "traditional" exhaust entering the cabin" issue and is NOT related to the emissions system but a LEAK forward of the back of the cabin and the cabin being well sealed it does not vent back out like an OLDER car would

#2 the DIESEL aftertreatment system is so REGULATED to MAINTAIN performance that it sets derate codes LONG before drivability issue crop up
common being SCR efficiency low OR catalyst reductant bad quality both are codes for DEF fluid system NOT REMOVING ENOUGH Oxides of Nitrogen compared to a CHART the GOVERNMENT mandates
the standards are SO TIGHT that even MINOR "drift" will set off the codes

#15 ·
Spoke with the service tect that is working on my 2018 Duramax today. They believe the EGT's are too low causing the DPF to plug up earlier than normal. Could not explain why it doesn't do a re-gen and take care of it as if the EGT's were higher. The failure to do a re-gen still exists to be a problem. I have serious doubts I will ever drive that vehicle ever again. Day 16 in the shop.

#16 ·
I will continue to follow this thread and wish you nothing but good luck.

I would not push the dealership to rush the repair - if you are considering going the "Lemon Law" route.

It has been my experience with over 45 years of driving and owning vehicles that many (emphasis added) dealer service technicians have lost the ability to troubleshoot a problem with vehicles that their dealership sells and services. They have become code readers and parts replacers as various systems become more complicated.

Chevrolet has a Technical Assistance Center and I wonder if the dealership tech has contacted them for guidance and assistance?

Where you provided a loaner vehicle?

#17 ·
The service tect advised he has been in constant contact with a GM tect and following their guidance. I've spoken to them many times, as the call me daily now with "updates". I demonstrate patience and they do not know from me of plans for the lemon law route. Yes, I have a loaner, albeit a Malibu. Far cry from a 2500HD. I still have my deleted 2011 2500HD that drives beautifully.

#20 ·
Dealer contacted me today. Advised the GM guy was there all day working on my truck. He determined it needs a new ECM. I wish them luck and success, I can not get excited that they have found a cure. Paper work mailed to the Consumer Law Firm. Even if I get the truck back and it is well, I still want to be compensated. This is day 25 with it being back to the dealership.

#21 ·
Today is day 30 of my 2018 L5P LTZ being at the dealership. Today they called and contradicted the post above. They said they thought it needed a new ECM but GM has to be involved then. They told me last week it was the GM guy advising of it needed a new ECM. Anyway, GM now wants them to drain the fuel and run some more tests. I told them to change the air in the air cleaner, while they were at it. So, that's where it stands. I didn't tell the dealer, but I do not intend on taking that truck back. I really wanted to, until today. My Lemon Law Attorney is being advised, I'm not taking that truck back, just all my money and whatever is entitled to me. Damn.

#22 ·
Good luck. I wish you nothing but the best.

I went through a Lemon Law buy-back for my 1997 Camaro Z-28 Convertible (14 defects in the first 4,000 miles and in the shop more than 45 days). I presented the case myself via the BBB AutoLine arbitration program (required at the time in my state). The GM representative treated me and the BBB very poorly but I prevailed and won. GM failed to refund my money in the time specified by law and I had to file an additional claim through the BBB AutoLine. My purchasing dealer was very little help, although GM required them to facilitate the buy-back.

I went through a Lemon Law buy-back for a 2011 Impala LTZ (severe clunk when turning left from the day we bought it and repaired repeatedly but the problem was never fixed). My state's law was strengthened and made stronger for the consumer at that time. I used a Lemon Law attorney and GM was very decent and helpful. I replaced the car with a new 2012 Impala LTZ. Our law specifies the consumer can choose a new car or a refund, including tax and any finance charge. The law also required the manufacturer to pay reasonable attorney fees for the consumer.

I know you are frustrated and rightfully so. I hope your attorney can come to a quick resolution for you and do what you want.

Keep us informed.

#24 · (Edited)
To quote the orange guy, sad. GM doesn't appear to be able to fix or control some of the emission parts created or supplied to them. As a result, their reputation with the well favored Duramax is at risk. The new L5P engine is probably as great as it was purported to be, it's the damn emission monitors and/or systems that are too stringent or faulty. Whatever it is, it's wrong. Hope to get my money back and watch and wait till they are what they should be again. Day 31 without my truck.

#26 ·
Linton23
Your comments, insights and advise has always been informative and helpful. However, GM nor any of the other manufacture have any credible right to sell a product knowing, as they do, that have
such defects.

#27 ·
Sunday, Day 34 without my truck. Checked a GMC dealership and a Chevy dealer. No Duramax's on the lots. There were until recently. Has there been a stop sale order from GM? The website's of these dealer's show they have Duramax trucks in their inventory. Be nice to hear real news.

#28 ·
I know you wanted a truck - but the lack of repair by the dealer and GM advisors for 34 days have solidifyed your case in your state for a Lemon Law repurchase. At least it wasn't returned to you without proper repair, requiring you to return it and start over.

Do you still have the loaner?

I have no idea on the availability of the Duramax trucks. Good luck.

#32 ·
Some answers to above. They gave me a loaner. A 2016 Malibu. Nice little car if you like that sort of thing, I DON'T. It's parked by the road. I'm driving my 2011 deleted Chevy duramax. I've had to stop pursuing selling it some time ago, as I need it or the new one, as a truck. Another call to the attorney a bit ago to see where they are with accepting my case, they're checking and will call back... Have not contacted Customer Service without the advise of my attorney, because they are to handle it. If my attorney, assuming they are my attorney, would advise I can contact Customer Service or the Dealer directly, I would. I do know it would not be constructive.

#36 ·
Obtaining the Lemon Law attorney took a week filling out all the paper work and mailings. Not close by one another. They've been retained now for two days and as far as I know, have done nothing. I sent the required
Last Chance to Fix letter to GM by registered mail yesterday and GM won't get it until Saturday, so nothing from them until at least Monday. Yes, I really do love the truck. I put off ordering it for 6 months and built every configuration there was in both Chevy and GMC. Finally arrived at a modest LTZ, but with just what I wanted on it. Even got the dealer to put on tires that I wanted and I paid the extra difference. In my mind I'm going back and forth whether to take my money back or get another new truck built or keep this one, if they fix it quick. Pretty sure, I'm taking my money back. There are issues with the emission systems and GM doesn't have a handle on it yet. I'll wait until I think they do. If I can wait that long.

#37 ·
NEWS FLASH Dealer called and the truck is fixed. A GM Engineer looked at the truck today. Apparently there are 5 wiring harnesses on the exhaust system. One harness was plugged in incorrectly. I'm not sure how that could happen, but that is what I was told. They test drove it, and no longer showing any codes. It is being delivered to me (175 miles) as I type. My Lemon Law suit is on hold as they successfully fixed it prior to the 5 day Last Chance to Fix it. That would not start until Saturday or Monday when someone signs for the mail. I really do hope I never experience another CEL or other code or have to re-instate the Lemon Law suit. I was not happy with the dealer as I thought they were not near as interested as I to get this resolved, but the owner, old friend, vowed to pursue some sort of compensation for all this BS. In the form of extended warranty, extended OnStar, extended Sirius XM and whatever he could think of from GM. We'll see.

#40 ·
Dealer came thru with making nice for keeping the truck for so long. Hard for me to decide between numerous choices. From extended services to cash. Had to drive my old truck for the weekend camping trip. Another camper remarked he and his wife liked it (2011 Chevy LT w/Duramax). Is pursuing financing tomorrow. Good thing I didn't drive the new one.

#41 ·
are they offering up extended GM warranty?
IMHO I would personally be interested in extended warranty EVEN if you intend on selling at warrenty end as it will increase you "peace of mind" and increase your flexibility to keep it longer assuming it is a GOOD truck

in around 1990 a relative of mine bought a Volvo 245GL and the first year the thing was awful but once fixed it has been perfect ever since

#47 ·
Update on compensation for being without my truck for 37 days. GM gave me an extended warranty. Mileage to 101,000 miles and certain other parts till Oct 2022. Called Platinum service contract. No deductible. Also extended the Basic On-Star for another 3 years. Lastly a maintenance contract to cover all recommended maintenance in the back of the manual up to 60 months or 100,000 miles. I feel GM did good. This was pursued by the selling dealership for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.