GM Inside News Forum banner

Ignition - Dead - Ghost - Wont Start - Intermiment - Safety Issue

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TheBUC 
#1 · (Edited)
Nov. 11, 2014, Northeast Pennsylvania, 2005 Sierra 1500 5.3L *Work Truck w/109000 miles on odometer:
After driving for about an hour, I stop at a customer's home [at about 3pm], shut truck off, take key out, get out, and close door.
About 20 minutes later, I get back in, place key in ignition, and turn key. Nothing. No starter sound; no lights on dash. It's like there's no battery. So, I breath and try, again. This time, truck starts right up, like there's nothing wrong. What the heck was that? I drive home, park, turn truck off, and get out.
At home, I take battery out and place on a charger overnight.
Nov. 12, 2014: I take battery to auto parts retailer who tests it. The test reveals, the battery is good (should start truck) but, is weak (needs a charge). So, I put battery back in truck, connect the cables, get in, put key in ignition, turn key, and it starts right up, like nothing's wrong. While engine is running, I place a load tester on battery. Test reveals, battery is good and alternator is charging well.
While running, I drive truck to mechanic, explain everything I know to mechanic, and leave truck.
Two days later, mechanic gives truck back, and says, it started right up "Every Time", and he can't find anything wrong with it.
The mechanic charged me $20.00 but, in the couple of days I couldn't use the truck for work, I lost $600.00
Nov. 15, 2014: After driving for about 45 mins., I turn truck off, take out key, and get out. About two hours later, I get back in, put key in ignition, turn key, and it's like there's no battery. I leave key in ignition and get out, walk away for about 5 mins., come back, get in, turn key, and truck starts right up, like there's nothing wrong.
Nov. 22, 2014: First thing in the morning, I disconnect the trickle charger and click the Viper remote starter button [twice in a row] to start the truck. Nothing happens as if the system is dead. So, I wait a few seconds and try, again – nothing. So, I wait another few seconds and try, again. This time, the truck starts right up like there’s nothing wrong.
I can't find a TSB, Special Service Adjustment, or other such bulletins on this issue however, I've discovered other GM vehicles with such related problem(s).
Document ID# 2009971 2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD sure sounds familiar.

Read this for instance: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Tahoe/2007/electrical/problems_starting.shtml
and, http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/68515-well-my-truck-is-dead-today/

*Work Truck: In 2007, bought it 2nd hand from a Stroudsburg, Pa GM dealer. It had 7,800 miles on the odometer.

See less See more
#3 ·
Guess, I should thank God, the ignition switch is not turning the vehicle off while it's running. lol.
I'm [hopefully] driving up to my mechanic's shop, again, today, to let him check and see, if the last "Dead Battery" episode triggered a code.
I'm so nervous and aggravated. Am afraid to turn the truck off when I park it at a customer's house so, I leave it running. At a store, yesterday, I locked the door and left it running for a half hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.