GM Undercarriage Corrosion

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Undercarriage Corrosion

Walking
    Thanks

GM Undercarriage Corrosion

Hi,

I am in the process of suing GM for extensive undercarriage corrosion on my 2005 Silverado 2500 HD. Corrosion began after a few month and within two years, had spread throughout the undercarriage. Not just pale orange. It's flaking red rust, and covers the frame, suspension, and all undercarriage components. No danger of imminent frame failure, but the brakes (the rotors came out in pieces) and the power steering cooling tank have already been replaced (not under warranty, customer satisfaction). They won't do anything else, and the case goes to court next month (after several delays).

Admittedly, I live live beachside in FL, but I have checked hundreds of vehicles in the area, and I can't find anything like the corrosion my vehicle has.

I have deposed GM experts in advance of the court date. They claim that they don't cover any undercarriage corrosion (regardless of severity), that they don't cover any corrosion caused by the environment (isn't that all corrosion), and that they have an exclusion for sea air in the warranty, despite the fact that this exclusion isn't added until 2007. This is all bogus. In addition, they admit under oath that the undercarriage protection is only designed to last for one year, and that they wouldn't have covered the corrosion regardless of where it had occurred in the U.S., how it had been maintained, and how it had been stored. That would apply to the undercarriage and sheet metal.

GM experts have admitted under oath that the vehicle is only designed for a 95th percentile environment and customer. GM experts even asked me if I had taken the precaution of rustproofing my vehicle, despite the fact that the warranty states that rustproofing can void the warranty.

I have also filed a complaint with the NHSTA.

If you have a vehicle that you believe has experienced premature corrosion, please email me at [email protected].

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2021 LT Trail Boss 6.2L

Re: GM Undercarriage Corrosion

Coming from a guy who just spent about a week under a 1976 Chevy K10 scraping off rust and repainting the undercarriage, get off your ass and do something about it. $50 in Rustoleum flat black spray paint from Wal-Mart and some elbow grease are all it takes.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,755 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Ive seen brand new cars rust in 6 months living in TX on Padre Island. You have to take great care of the car to keep it from rusting especially living near salt water.

Regardless, will you care to post some pics of it?
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'm all for survival of the fittest and all.....But, does your lawyer know that you are posting this on the internet?
    Current Rides:
    1. 2009 Pontiac G8 (mine)
    2. 2007 BMW 328i Sport Package (hers)

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Coming from a guy who just spent about a week under a 1976 Chevy K10 scraping off rust and repainting the undercarriage, get off your ass and do something about it. $50 in Rustoleum flat black spray paint from Wal-Mart and some elbow grease are all it takes.

Your vehilce is 24 years old. I would expect it to have some rust. Mine was two years old. I would expect it to hold up better.

The frame would have to be media blasted to get everything.

And, if I did as you say and applied Rustoleum, the warranty would be avoided.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Ive seen brand new cars rust in 6 months living in TX on Padre Island. You have to take great care of the car to keep it from rusting especially living near salt water.

Regardless, will you care to post some pics of it?

I have looked at many vehicles, many that are not washed or garaged, some driven off road and in the water. They have no corrosion or very little. On the other hand, I have heard from Chevy owners who have taken meticulous care of their vehicles and have had very bad corrosion very quickly, one a 2008.

I don't think it's car care problem.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2021 LT Trail Boss 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by kendonhank View Post
    Your vehilce is 24 years old. I would expect it to have some rust. Mine was two years old. I would expect it to hold up better.

The frame would have to be media blasted to get everything.

And, if I did as you say and applied Rustoleum, the warranty would be avoided.
    My 2001 Silverado had a lot of rust underneath, fixed it the same way (a barbeque scraper works just as well as media blasting). As far as I know, GM only warranties the body panels for rust.

P.S. Not trying to bust your chops, warranties usually aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
    Last edited by RamJet502; 04-19-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    My 2001 Silverado had a lot of rust underneath, fixed it the same way (a barbeque scraper works just as well as media blasting). As far as I know, GM only warranties the body panels for rust.

GM says they only cover body panels. But there is no exclsuion in the bumper-to-bumper warranty for the undercarriage.

GM also says they don't cover corrosion caused by the environment, but as you know, that is all corrosion, and by that logic, they wouldn't have to cover the body panels either.

That is the purpose of the lawsuit.

I think I would have to spend weeks with that scraper to get all the corrosion off my truck. It's quite bad, through all the suspension, engine compartment, and every nook and cranny. Really, it needs to have all the body panels removed and media blasted. Thanks for the advice though.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Unbelievable!

Good luck, No garage, probably nonpaved driveway too or even park on the grass.

Try living in the snowbelt, 6 months of salted roads, with the "New liquid Calcium Chloride," that clings to everything and doesn't wash off.

It's 5 years old, try having a Tundra where the frames were rotting right off in 5-10 years.

Could GM combat rust better? Yes $400-500 more Nickel smelted in thier melt, rust would be a thing of the past.

Why don't they? Hinders sales of new vehicles, increases vehicle's price by $600-700.

Our business office, offers an Electronic box for $400, it give the customer a "Life Time" warranty against rust. Money well spent in our conditions me thinks.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TiburonJT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door 5MT

You should post pics.

Thanks

Please be sure to let us know how much money you spend on this lawsuit! It seems to me, you would be better off doing the cleaning and coating with protector than trying to take down Goliath with an empty slingshot.

Good Luck!
    R.I.P:
    - 1993 Chevy Blazer 4x4
    - 1980 Pontiac Firebird
    - 1968 Dodge Dart

You will all be missed!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe GM's rust warranty (and everyone else's as well) is only rust through coverage for body panels.

If they've covered what their warranty says it will, and a goodwill repair as well, I don't see where you have a case.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah for the money being spent on a lawyer I'd get some ramps and a sand blaster from harbor freight and a couple gallons of POR15 and have at it
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

Dude on 9/15/2009 you said you were going to win in court against GM on this issue what happened?
    Dealer won't honor corrosion warranty

Ok as I cant get the link to work here is what he said.

Re: Dealer won't honor corrosion warranty
    I am suing GM right now for extensive undercarriage corrosion throughout my 2005 Silverado.

I live in coastal FL and GM says they doesn't cover corrosion caused by salt.

There is nothing in the GM warranty that says this and they changed the warranty in 2007 to add an exclusion for corrosion caused by sea air and road salt.

I deposed their regional warranty guy and GM's top corrosion scientist from Michigan, the one who designed the corrosion specs. You wouldn't believe the B.S. they came up with. For example, the corrosion protection is designed for only the 95th percentile environment, and extensive corrosion would not be covered anywhere in FL, or even anywhere in the U.S. Also, the corrosion protection on the undercarriage is only designed to last one year, just long enough to sell the vehicles to unsuspecting consumers.

GM's corrosion warranty is a scam and I will win in court next week. I hope the rest of GM's corrosion victims will come forward after I win and do the same.
    Last edited by linton23 : Today at 09:04 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Linton23, please post the results of your case next week. I am curious to learn the results of your litigation.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information