Duramax DEF failure after failure

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Duramax DEF failure after failure

  1. #1
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Duramax DEF failure after failure

    I have a 2011 2500HD, Duramax LML 33K miles and I am afraid to leave town in it.

    The def errors keep happening over and over and will leave me stranded. A "poor def fluid" and others will only give you 200 miles to get it repaired or shut you down to 4mph.

    I retired after working 41 years with plans to take this truck and my little Airstream trailer and fly fish every fishing stream in the USA but now I stuck with a truck that is for sure going to break at any given moment, 4 times now.
    The last time I only made it 189 miles between repairs, just got it out of the dealership yesterday (1/6/2015) after 8 days.
    It has also left me stranded in Mountain Home Arkansas with low def error when the def was full. That took two days to repair (great dealership there) but I paid too much for this vehicle to have to put up with this.

    It doesn't take very long on google to see that these def problems are running rampant and have been for a very long time. Had I only know this before I bought this truck I wouldn't be here now.

    What is GM doing to fix this problem and I don't mean a piece-by-piece change out until my warranty is out then say SORRY??

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    5,976
    Thanks
    3,938
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,105 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    If you've lost confidence in the reliability of your truck, trade it in. If you want to keep it, ask your dealer to completely document the history and re-occurrence of your problems in their database so that you can show that any problems that occur after the warranty may have existed prior to the warranty expiring. You can also plead your case and ask if GM can extend your warranty due to the problems you've been having. It never hurts to ask. If you're not satisfied, trade it in.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

  4. #3
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Peters, Mo
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 59 Times in 39 Posts
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Sea King 35

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    2011 sounds a little old for a buyback, but that's what I would want. I'd replace it with a gas engine powered truck before the next full moon. And I applaud you for setting such a wonderful retirement goal, sounds like heaven to me. There is decent trout water in so many corners of the country.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larkbill For This Useful Post:

    laketime (01-09-2016)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,790
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 550 Posts

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    Quote Originally Posted by laketime View Post
    I have a 2011 2500HD, Duramax LML 33K miles and I am afraid to leave town in it.

    The def errors keep happening over and over and will leave me stranded. A "poor def fluid" and others will only give you 200 miles to get it repaired or shut you down to 4mph.

    I retired after working 41 years with plans to take this truck and my little Airstream trailer and fly fish every fishing stream in the USA but now I stuck with a truck that is for sure going to break at any given moment, 4 times now.
    The last time I only made it 189 miles between repairs, just got it out of the dealership yesterday (1/6/2015) after 8 days.
    It has also left me stranded in Mountain Home Arkansas with low def error when the def was full. That took two days to repair (great dealership there) but I paid too much for this vehicle to have to put up with this.

    It doesn't take very long on google to see that these def problems are running rampant and have been for a very long time. Had I only know this before I bought this truck I wouldn't be here now.

    What is GM doing to fix this problem and I don't mean a piece-by-piece change out until my warranty is out then say SORRY??
    People only complain online, so take that with a grain of salt. The Duramax is still considered the most reliable diesel on the market by many.

    It sounds like even though you have brought it in a few times they have failed to address the actual problem.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to NeverEnough For This Useful Post:

    laketime (01-09-2016)

  9. #5
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 linton23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,584
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 609 Times in 574 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    How often have you replaced the def fluid in the truck? Did you buy it new? The reason I ask is the def fluid has a shelf life and it seems from the ones i have seen the issue you have happens to people who 1. dont drive it often 2. just bought it off a used lot where its been sitting for a while.

  10. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    8,370
    Thanks
    8,872
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 1,097 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    we you have a LIST of previous repairs done?

    I have NEVER worked on a GM system but do work on CUMMINS/FLEETGUARD and Mercedes/Bosch after treatment systems for a living and "bad DEF fluid" code is "code" for the SCR is NOT sufficiently reducing the NOx levels - not necessarily that the DEF fluid is BAD/INCORRECT

    in excessive CITY type of usage where the DPF is NOT allowed to passively regen the DEF system "SCR" catalyst will NOT reach a high enough temp to de scale it's surface and can lead to "low NOx conversion" OR "bad DEF fluid"

  11. #7
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    People only complain online, so take that with a grain of salt. The Duramax is still considered the most reliable diesel on the market by many.

    It sounds like even though you have brought it in a few times they have failed to address the actual problem.
    The three dealers that have worked on the truck were excellent to deal with and all three said they were constantly booked with DEF problems. One large dealer in OKC couldn't get me in for 3 weeks. I finally found one in Guthrie and that still took a week. They changed the DEF Pump and Sensor ... this is the second time for that. Thanks for the response.

  12. #8
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    If you've lost confidence in the reliability of your truck, trade it in. If you want to keep it, ask your dealer to completely document the history and re-occurrence of your problems in their database so that you can show that any problems that occur after the warranty may have existed prior to the warranty expiring. You can also plead your case and ask if GM can extend your warranty due to the problems you've been having. It never hurts to ask. If you're not satisfied, trade it in.
    GM's DEF problems are apparently well known now and the 2011 is the worst making the trade in option a bad option, however it might come to that.

  13. #9
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    we you have a LIST of previous repairs done?

    I have NEVER worked on a GM system but do work on CUMMINS/FLEETGUARD and Mercedes/Bosch after treatment systems for a living and "bad DEF fluid" code is "code" for the SCR is NOT sufficiently reducing the NOx levels - not necessarily that the DEF fluid is BAD/INCORRECT

    in excessive CITY type of usage where the DPF is NOT allowed to passively regen the DEF system "SCR" catalyst will NOT reach a high enough temp to de scale it's surface and can lead to "low NOx conversion" OR "bad DEF fluid"
    When I bought this truck I had no intentions of becoming a GM Tech but am rapidly getting there.. lol. The poor DEF was 2 of the failures and I suspected the NOx sensors, one time it was sensor number 1 but the error returned after 189 miles...the second time it was the DEF Pump and Def Sensor according to the dealer. Thank you for the info.

  14. #10
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Duramax DEF failure after failure

    Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    How often have you replaced the def fluid in the truck? Did you buy it new? The reason I ask is the def fluid has a shelf life and it seems from the ones i have seen the issue you have happens to people who 1. dont drive it often 2. just bought it off a used lot where its been sitting for a while.
    The last error occurred shortly after a 4000 mile trip to Utah, one of the previous errors occurred while I was on a trip through Missouri and Arkansas so the DEF fluid it being turned over regularly. Three of the four repairs included new DEF fluid. I pull an Airstream Trailer when traveling and usually run 65-68 mph. Thanks for your expertise I do appreciate it.

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2