2018 Corvette Grand Sport repair issues - VERY frustrated.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2018 Corvette Grand Sport repair issues - VERY frustrated.

Walking
    Thanks

2018 Corvette Grand Sport repair issues - VERY frustrated.

Purchased a used 2018 Corvette on 5/28 from a Cadillac dealer in Cincinnati. Car has 13,500 miles on it. On 5/29 the engine developed a common lifter chirp issue. I drove the car 75 miles total including the drive home from the dealer on the previous night. Contacted the dealer to inform them of the issue immediately. On 5/30 in the late afternoon the car was picked up on a roll back to avoid further damage. The selling dealer originally arranged for the car to be taken to a Chevrolet dealer that is certified and experienced with Corvettes. I was later informed that the Chevrolet dealer declined to take the car for various reasons so the car was taken to the selling Cadillac dealer for the repairs. On 6/4 I was contacted by the service manager who explained that it may take a while for the repairs because of process issues due to them being a Cadillac dealer and a large warranty issue. The car was assigned to the shop foreman that obviously has other job duties, however he is the most experienced. One 6/7 I left a message for a status on the car. Got a response on 6/10 it is in fact a lifter failure with damage to the cam and the cam, lifter and push rod will be replaced but I was cautioned that the parts may be difficult to obtain. However is all covered under warranty (which I expected). On 6/17 I received a voicemail that a portion of the parts are on back order and expected to be available in 4-6 weeks. On 6/18 I called the dealer to escalate the issue and expressed concern that at this rate the temporary tag would be expired, payments would be made and parts must be available at other dealers or able to be sourced from outside vendors. the called me back 10 minutes later stating they may have found the head gaskets (the only back ordered part) at a dealer in Indiana and would call me back tomorrow.

I am frankly just frustrated with the entire scenario. I completely understand part failures. I understand things take time. But I should not have to keep pushing for a quicker solution. Dealers shouldn't disagree on who should work on the car and the car should have gone to the most qualified dealer. I wasn't provided a loaner to drive for a car I just paid 50k+ for that immediately had a defective warrantied part. The down payment cleared faster than the first update on the car. The tag will likely expire before I have it back. The car is new to me, i didn't even have time to reset the radio stations. Now I have a car that has had the engine dissembled. I am just plain frustrated with no real clear action.

I have a 2015 Cadillac Escalade, 2011 GMC 2500HD Denali crew cab for which I purchased new, and multiple GM classic cars. I am a loyal GM owner but this experience doesn't make it easy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,977 Times in 3,801 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: 2018 Corvette Grand Sport repair issues - VERY frustrated.

Well that sucks. "Parts are on back-order" sucks. The car has been out a year, and the parts inventory isn't up to speed yet?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    In all my years of owing Vettes I've never had a Chevy dealer refusing to work on my car, even if purchased from another dealer. Ever. I'm also confused as to why there would be a parts issue on a car that has not had any engine revisions since 2015. The parts should be plentiful.. But I see that the after escalation they found the part so it seems U are more pissed at the sorry service and time wasted arguing than anything else. The issue U have, I haven't heard of it in a Vette but I the Camaro SS there was bulletin I think about the exhaust, but I also ready that some experienced it, the chirp, during AFM kick in.

Also.. The level of service. This is one of the reasons I truly think Corvette needs to be it's own brand or paired to Cadillac. Chevy is just not equipped to handle the service needs of people paying upwards of $135K for a weekend toy. U can get a loaner if U take in a base ATS that cost U $37K, but not a Corvette costing $70K+. Insanity
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    In all my years of owing Vettes I've never had a Chevy dealer refusing to work on my car, even if purchased from another dealer. Ever. I'm also confused as to why there would be a parts issue on a car that has not had any engine revisions since 2015. The parts should be plentiful.. But I see that the after escalation they found the part so it seems U are more pissed at the sorry service and time wasted arguing than anything else. The issue U have, I haven't heard of it in a Vette but I the Camaro SS there was bulletin I think about the exhaust, but I also ready that some experienced it, the chirp, during AFM kick in.

Also.. The level of service. This is one of the reasons I truly think Corvette needs to be it's own brand or paired to Cadillac. Chevy is just not equipped to handle the service needs of people paying upwards of $135K for a weekend toy. U can get a loaner if U take in a base ATS that cost U $37K, but not a Corvette costing $70K+. Insanity
    The Chevy Dealer knew what was going on and knew the parts were on backorder. Knowing that part of the stores profit comes from maintaining a good survey score and this issue screams bad reply they refused to handle the repair and take the hit. We had a Camaro customer in here the other day she left a bad review and survey on her selling dealer. When she went in for an issue they told her she was no longer welcome. She called us as the next nearest dealer. The shop manager asked why would you want to bring it to us and the whole story came out. The affect of reviews and csi scores on bonus's are having an unintended effect. I am not going to risk the profit from my bonus on an all ready bad situation.

Walking
    Thanks

I actually understand the point of the Chevrolet dealer for one single reason which is that the car was sold 24hrs earlier. The Chevrolet dealer did not want to be in the middle of a recent car sale and a potentially unhappy customer when the repairs take a long time or were for some reason not covered by warranty.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post

The caddy dealer should be providing a loaner. When my vette was serviced for a warranty issue, the chevy dealer gave me a loaner. I've found while my caddy dealer practically shoves a loaner down my throat (in a good way) even for a couple hour service, the vette dealer only does loaners on overnights. You should talk to the caddy dealer about a loaner if you need one. They should be providing it. I actually thought it was part of the B2B on chevy's for overnight repairs. Before I traded my C6 for the C7, and the C6 was out of warranty, I had the caddy dealer do all the work. I have a great caddy dealer in Austin. I have had nothing but exemplary service from them.

I'd also add you may want to force the loaner issue. Then at least it is costing the dealer something for each day your car is being serviced.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-19-2019)

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information