2015 Silverado Paint peeling

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2015 Silverado Paint peeling

Walking
    Thanks

2015 Silverado Paint peeling

I have a 2015 Silverado in Slate Grey still under bumper to bumper warranty for about another month. It just turned 32,000 miles and is immaculate inside and out....except for a spot of paint peeling on the left rear door of the Crew cab. The dealer quoted $633 to repair. I called GM and they say its not covered??? Whats a bumper to bumper warranty for?? There was not a chip there and its spreading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Re: 2015 Silverado Paint peeling

Quote Originally Posted by Mopfried View Post
    I have a 2015 Silverado in Slate Grey still under bumper to bumper warranty for about another month. It just turned 32,000 miles and is immaculate inside and out....except for a spot of paint peeling on the left rear door of the Crew cab. The dealer quoted $633 to repair. I called GM and they say its not covered??? Whats a bumper to bumper warranty for?? There was not a chip there and its spreading.
    Paint defect and if your still on the original 3/36 it should be covered imo. Whatever you do, don't slouch as it looks like your right on the line of the warranty ending, DO NOT WAIT, GET THIS FIXED NOW! Even with a extended warranty gmpp it will not be covered once you are past the original warranty period. Paint, Interior trim, wear and tear items all not covered under extended GM warranty's.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (09-15-2020),TruckMan (01-29-2019)

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Paint defect and if your still on the original 3/36 it should be covered imo. Whatever you do, don't slouch as it looks like your right on the line of the warranty ending, DO NOT WAIT, GET THIS FIXED NOW! Even with a extended warranty gmpp it will not be covered once you are past the original warranty period. Paint, Interior trim, wear and tear items all not covered under extended GM warranty's.
    They are telling me the primer under the peeling paint is not the factory primer!!?? I'm fuming. I am about to make them a wager. Take some paint off anywhere on the truck and if the primer is different, i will pay to have both places fixed. If not different they can pay to have it fixed!!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

They are telling me the primer under the peeling paint is not the factory primer!!?? I'm fuming. I am about to make them a wager. Take some paint off anywhere on the truck and if the primer is different, i will pay to have both places fixed. If not different they can pay to have it fixed!!
    Did you buy it used or new?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linton23 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (01-30-2019),Tomko (01-29-2019)

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    Did you buy it used or new?
    Used. It was purchased new at the same dealership i bought if from. Car Fax is clean.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,344 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

If the dealer wants to play like that, tell them that they sold you a vehicle with undisclosed damages.

And FYI, some vehicles are damaged and repaired by GM outside of the factories, so the primer not matching might not be a valid reason for denying warranty.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 VW Tiguan S wifes

Used. It was purchased new at the same dealership i bought if from. Car Fax is clean.
    Send me a copy of the vin the carfax sometimes will not show everything.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Unlike "piston slap" and "Chevy shake", this is an actual issue with the 2014 and 2015 Silverados. I have two buddies that had 6 inch strips of paint just come off during car washes in the exact same area. They both got theirs fixed under warranty.

Thanks

See my thread right below this one...https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...-doors-290737/

Now there are spots bubbling up all over the the truck...GM using the new solvent free paint started in 2014 I believe...either way we are stuck with another GM quality issue...
    '04 GTO IBM/Blk A4, GenTT w/Precision turbos, forged LS2, Jakes 4L80, BC coilovers, 750rwhp/780rwtq @ 13psi on e85, Built and tuned by NicD
    '05 GTO PBM/Blk A4, APS gen1 TT, Clay Forrester forged 370ci, PerformaBuilt Stage 3 4L60, custom 3" exhaust w/Magnaflows. Tuned by NicD - 10.89 @ 133 mph
    '06 Trailblazer SS Black, Pacesette LT's w/catless mid, Efans, NicD tune and 4.10's!
    '56 Belair 2dr sedan, Wht over blk ext, wht/blk int, 265 pwr glide.
    '56 3100 p/u Black, 400 v8 3spd on the tree.!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

GM has used waterbase paint back in the 80s on some models. Mostly Calif. made cars.
    My Ca. made 84 Z-28 is a water base paint.

That peeling and bubbling most likely caused by poor prep. and primers may differ also
    as the bed may not be painted with the cab at the same time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    GM has used waterbase paint back in the 80s on some models. Mostly Calif. made cars.
    My Ca. made 84 Z-28 is a water base paint.

That peeling and bubbling most likely caused by poor prep. and primers may differ also
    as the bed may not be painted with the cab at the same time.
    Still no excuse for a poor job on such an important costly issue for customers.
    '04 GTO IBM/Blk A4, GenTT w/Precision turbos, forged LS2, Jakes 4L80, BC coilovers, 750rwhp/780rwtq @ 13psi on e85, Built and tuned by NicD
    '05 GTO PBM/Blk A4, APS gen1 TT, Clay Forrester forged 370ci, PerformaBuilt Stage 3 4L60, custom 3" exhaust w/Magnaflows. Tuned by NicD - 10.89 @ 133 mph
    '06 Trailblazer SS Black, Pacesette LT's w/catless mid, Efans, NicD tune and 4.10's!
    '56 Belair 2dr sedan, Wht over blk ext, wht/blk int, 265 pwr glide.
    '56 3100 p/u Black, 400 v8 3spd on the tree.!
    Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks
    [

I also have a slate gray silverado. The peeling started on the driver side rear door with bubbles then the passenger side rear door in exactly the same place both doors.. rear side if the doors narrow part. Bubbles then peeling . Called Chevrolet they said it was out of warranty i asked them what does a warranty got to do with a poor paint job and poor pain prep. They wouldn't budge he kept say it was out of warranty. QUOTE=Mopfried;7112673]I have a 2015 Silverado in Slate Grey still under bumper to bumper warranty for about another month. It just turned 32,000 miles and is immaculate inside and out....except for a spot of paint peeling on the left rear door of the Crew cab. The dealer quoted $633 to repair. I called GM and they say its not covered??? Whats a bumper to bumper warranty for?? There was not a chip there and its spreading.[/QUOTE]

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Reach out to Chevrolet Customer Service directly

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Quote Originally Posted by Acewilson View Post
    [

I also have a slate gray silverado. The peeling started on the driver side rear door with bubbles then the passenger side rear door in exactly the same place both doors.. rear side if the doors narrow part. Bubbles then peeling . Called Chevrolet they said it was out of warranty i asked them what does a warranty got to do with a poor paint job and poor pain prep. They wouldn't budge he kept say it was out of warranty. QUOTE=Mopfried;7112673]I have a 2015 Silverado in Slate Grey still under bumper to bumper warranty for about another month. It just turned 32,000 miles and is immaculate inside and out....except for a spot of paint peeling on the left rear door of the Crew cab. The dealer quoted $633 to repair. I called GM and they say its not covered??? Whats a bumper to bumper warranty for?? There was not a chip there and its spreading.
    [/QUOTE]

Like i said above, once past the 3/36 their liabilities with stuff like this is very low unfortunately. Unless it can be a proven defect like they have with the rock chip portion on the lower section of the truck which i think has a tsb on it, i doubt they will budge. Call the gm number but i think gm pretty much made them able to do nothing but state they are sorry, they use to have ability to extend warranties or credit their cost, or even give coupons for free accessories but have not seen that done in many many years now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 851 Posts

Sound like he's got the "stripper" model...Get it?!?!?!

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information