2012 Equinox rocker panels

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2012 Equinox rocker panels

Walking
    Thanks

2012 Equinox rocker panels

My 2012 Equinox the rocker panels are so rusted/rotten that I can not get it inspected this year. I bought it in 2014 with 55,000 miles on it. It now has 112,000 miles on it and it's ready for the junk yard. I still owe another year on this car and I'm sure the bank doesn't want it either. One body shop quoted us $6,700. to get it fixed. The car isn't even worth that much. The dealer said this isn't the first one they have seen so it's a problem with the Equinox.

July 2019 169.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: 2012 Equinox rocker panels

that sux I assume you are from the north east / Ont quebec area
    in Manitoba cars last 10 years before they start looking bad and 2 - 3 before they are scrap grade if untreated

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogsrule View Post
    My 2012 Equinox the rocker panels are so rusted/rotten that I can not get it inspected this year. I bought it in 2014 with 55,000 miles on it. It now has 112,000 miles on it and it's ready for the junk yard. I still owe another year on this car and I'm sure the bank doesn't want it either. One body shop quoted us $6,700. to get it fixed. The car isn't even worth that much. The dealer said this isn't the first one they have seen so it's a problem with the Equinox.

July 2019 169.jpg
    Lets be honest here, how well did you take care of this vehicle to allow it to get to this point? My guess is you never touched a towel and some wax around your door sill so really what do you expect? Either that or you bought a used sea water damaged equinox and was not told imo.

All cars today have thin brittle paint and sheet metal thinner then a human hair but if you take care of things it will still last longer then 7 years imo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Yes, we live in Northeast US/Vermont. I do wash and wax that car. I did it a year ago this month and that happened over one winter. It was not like that one year ago! It could be possible where the car came from. We were told it was bought at that dealer and then traded at the same dealer but then they can lie about that. We have an 2002 1500 truck that has less rust on its than this car. It's very disappointing to pay so much for a car and then have it rust out like that. We have owned at least 12-15 GM vehicles and never ever had anything like this happen. It's not the first time the dealer has seen this same thing happen. Picture only shows a small part it is like that all the way back and it's starting on the other side also.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogsrule View Post
    Yes, we live in Northeast US/Vermont. I do wash and wax that car. I did it a year ago this month and that happened over one winter. It was not like that one year ago! It could be possible where the car came from. We were told it was bought at that dealer and then traded at the same dealer but then they can lie about that. We have an 2002 1500 truck that has less rust on its than this car. It's very disappointing to pay so much for a car and then have it rust out like that. We have owned at least 12-15 GM vehicles and never ever had anything like this happen. It's not the first time the dealer has seen this same thing happen. Picture only shows a small part it is like that all the way back and it's starting on the other side also.
    Sorry this happened to you, To get the proper reaction over here, you should've lied and told us it happened to a Toyota...now because it's a Chevy, it's obviously your fault. You should've waxed the inside of your door panels apparently.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 09-03-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Blackdogsrule (09-09-2019),InCogKneeToe (09-04-2019),Let Them Fail (09-05-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 657 Posts

I have to say "Rust Check" or the likes, are a very big thing around here. The Waxy Misting Inhibitor stuff is a must.

Around here they use a Liquid Calcium road salt, that sticks to everything underneath and every crook and crevasse. My 2001 Windstar was done before I purchased it and it was solid (but for the rear axle) in 2013 when I dropped it off at "Cash for Clunkers". My 2008 (bought used) is rotting out around the wheel wells, but the Rockers, Cab Corners are tight. I Fluid Film them yearly. My Wife's 2013 is solid, I misted it from New and Fluid Film it yearly.

It's apart of living where we do, but the Manufactures could help things out a lot. I was told (many years ago) by my Shop Teacher, $200/vehicle more Nickel smelted into the Metal, and Rust would be a thing of the past. Add for inflation $400 today's dollars or 2 Rust Checks.

Or an All Aluminum Offering.
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 09-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,476 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Part of the problem was the design of the rocker panels to have the door complete the lower edge of the car versus the body meeting the door. The lower portion of the door traps and holds a lot of moisture and grit. Over time it will break down the metal. You have to be very vigilant in attacking the door when cleaning and sadly it's missed by almost every one who washes a car especially if you used a drive thru car wash as it'll never get it clean.

I'm sure they told you that you are outside the rust warranty of 6 years/100,000 miles so they won't do anything about it. My mother in law lives in Wisconsin in the very back country and I had to show her how to clean her doors so her Equinox wont rust out like this. Everyone will be seeing way more of this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information