Yet another Toyota recall

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Toyota recall

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,577 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Yet another Toyota recall

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...1147fc8cc5.4b1

New blow as Toyota recalls 2.77 mln vehicles globally

TOKYO — Toyota has announced a global recall of 2.77 million vehicles over water pump or steering problems, in the latest blow to the firm's reputation after a spate of earlier call backs.

Japan's biggest automaker on Wednesday said there were no reported injuries or accidents, but it had received about 400 complaints in Japan over the pump issue and a handful about the steering problem.

The firm last month issued a huge global recall of 7.43 million vehicles, including its popular Camry and Corolla models, over a possible fire risk tied to a fault in its electric windows.

Rivals Honda and Nissan have also announced recalls in the past year.

Toyota's latest call back involves a number of vehicles manufactured between August 2000 and December 2011, including its popular Prius hybrid, which suffered from one or both of the defects, it said.

In a worst-case scenario the steering issue could see drivers lose control of the vehicle, while the water pump problem could render it inoperable, the firm added.
    It just gets worse and worse for Toyota
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Vauxhall Astra H VXR

Re: Yet another Toyota recall

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...1147fc8cc5.4b1

New blow as Toyota recalls 2.77 mln vehicles globally

It just gets worse and worse for Toyota

Makes my smile bigger and bigger, plus with their sales tanking in China, maybe all that smugness and the perfect holier than tho attitude Toyota oozes out will stop now. I can't remember who on GMI said it but they were right when Toyota gleefully overtook GM as worlds number 1 - its a rough place to be, always in the limelight, and the only way is down. How right they were.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

As the cost pressure continues with suppliers the pressure will always be on the QC of the manufacturers. I don't envy them their job at all.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

If the stories and recalls Toyota has already had in the past few years aren't denting their sales, I have doubts about whether any additional ones will. The few times I talk about cars to my friends/coworkers how have Toyotas, it doesn't matter to them. Some of the have cars that have been recalled, but they still talk down about any domestic in terms of quality. Almost a "sure Toyota has had a few problems lately, but they still make cars 10 times better than that junk Chevy you have, ha ha ha." I think we are going to have to wait for a Demographic shift in 10-20 years before Toyota loses a lot of market share in this country. The Baby Boomers and Gen X's don't seem to want to give up their beloved Toyota's no matter what.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    If the stories and recalls Toyota has already had in the past few years aren't denting their sales, I have doubts about whether any additional ones will. The few times I talk about cars to my friends/coworkers how have Toyotas, it doesn't matter to them. Some of the have cars that have been recalled, but they still talk down about any domestic in terms of quality. Almost a "sure Toyota has had a few problems lately, but they still make cars 10 times better than that junk Chevy you have, ha ha ha." I think we are going to have to wait for a Demographic shift in 10-20 years before Toyota loses a lot of market share in this country. The Baby Boomers and Gen X's don't seem to want to give up their beloved Toyota's no matter what.
    So true, but I have some friends who in their twenties and while they might still buy a Japenese Car, most of their parents have older Camry's and they all say they will never buy a Camry because of how horrible they drive and these guys aren't really car guys.

Thanks

At some point, the recalls will effect perception.....but it will take many more years, and more of these recalls. The one factor thou is (at least here in Canada), its cheaper to buy a Toyota Product then most any other brand (Other than maybe Hyundai), and in the end cash is king. Most folks are not car people and if they can buy a car for thousands less, they will take it, especially if it is a Toyota.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    At some point, the recalls will effect perception.....but it will take many more years, and more of these recalls. The one factor thou is (at least here in Canada), its cheaper to buy a Toyota Product then most any other brand (Other than maybe Hyundai), and in the end cash is king. Most folks are not car people and if they can buy a car for thousands less, they will take it, especially if it is a Toyota.
    as of right now tho it seems as if they are not affecting them at all
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

With the 10 million mentioned here, I believe toyota may have surpassed 40 million recalled in the last 10 years.
    That's staggering; completely unprecedented.

If it were a domestic Corporation, no doubt that sort of 'bottom line' number would be tossed around the media like a frisbee.
    As it is, I've never seen any sort of totaled number for toyota- I only know the approximate figure (I haven't checked it since last year) because I tallied it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

CR undoubtedly spotted this first in their survey - wait what ?

- and then count all the campaigns.....

- it's been said before ..... they never ever were up to the image projected.

Evidently the take away @ Ford is to do the same - and literally have the some of the same people wallpaper it over.

The real lesson is an old one, that Toyota to their credit learned long ago and built a not inconsiderable organisation around - " perception is everything ".

Someday, hopefully, GM will include the word " perception " in their Corporate lexicon, processes and procedures...... along with the words " aggressive " and " on the offensive "
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post

- and then count all the campaigns.....

- it's been said before ..... they never ever were up to the image projected.

Evidently the take away @ Ford is to do the same - and literally have the some of the same people wallpaper it over.

The real lesson is an old one, that Toyota to their credit learned long ago and built a not inconsiderable organisation around - " perception is everything ".

Someday, hopefully, GM will include the word " perception " in their Corporate lexicon, processes and procedures...... along with the words " aggressive " and " on the offensive "
    Even the U.S military preaches perception!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Unfortunately perception is reality 99 times out of 100 will trump, factual reality.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

If you repeat anything often enough people will start to believe it. This is mostly due to the fact that most people are stupid and/or unwilling to actually determine reality.

Thus, an emotional argument often beats a rational one. Any attempt to then argue rationally with someone holding an emotional opinion will just lead to sorrow. Emotion leads to self-delusion, which allows a person to justify all kinds of stupid things. It's why perception is such a strong tool as it allows one to bow-beat oneself into believing all kinds of inanities.

I learned to simply walk away, although it's taken me decades. The passion to want people to use logic and reason to guide decisions whereby reason and logic would most benefit them falls mostly on plugged ears.

Toyota should have seen this starting up years ago, but instead started to believe their own BS. Each time they do these recalls it chips a bit of the pomposity out of their customers who believed Toyota was somehow different. Little by little Toyota, like every other manufacturer in history, will come down to earth. And as with every other case, they only have themselves to blame. Build yourself up on too much hype and the fall can be disastrous.

All I know is the general attitude of those friends and family members who own Toyotas has changed from being self-assured that their decision was brilliant to wondering if they've not been conned. And there's a certain dislike in feeling that, worse yet when it becomes a self realization as opposed to it being pointed out (see self-delusion and emotion, above).
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,899 Times in 4,822 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

There is a big difference between a recall and actually breaking down or a malfunctioning piece of your car. Until Toyota owners are stranded on the side of the highway or a constant stream of things are broken in the car due to shoddy workmanship their reputation wont take a hit. Sorry, I want to see Toyota eat a piece of humble pie as well, but these recalls won't do it.

I think a bigger issue for Toyota is that they are now viewed as Mom and Dad's car and the younger generation is less interested in them - going the way of Oldsmobile.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Not to defend CR, but safety recalls can be triggered for extremely rare issues that their surveys could never detect (even assuming they were valid statistically).

Personally, I don't think this kind of stuff affects perception of "quality" at all. They quietly take care of it when you bring the car in for routine maintenance. (You have to press the dealership to even get them to admit they did the fixes.) Unless the car breaks down, crashes into a tree, or catches fire, it's a non issue.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,577 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post
    Not to defend CR, but safety recalls can be triggered for extremely rare issues that their surveys could never detect (even assuming they were valid statistically).

Personally, I don't think this kind of stuff affects perception of "quality" at all. They quietly take care of it when you bring the car in for routine maintenance. (You have to press the dealership to even get them to admit they did the fixes.) Unless the car breaks down, crashes into a tree, or catches fire, it's a non issue.
    I would normaly agree with you but in Toymoters case it's they let the car burst into flames and crash into a tree first and then initiate the recall
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information