Words from a Prius owner.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Words from a Prius owner.

Thanks

Words from a Prius owner.

So I pulled into the parking lot at LSI Logic today after finishing class at the local community college. I just happened to pull into a spot next to a guy who had just pulled in driving a new Prius. I sparked a conversation by asking him what kind of mileage he gets in his Prius. Right off the bat he set the tone that would overshadow the rest of our conversation. His exact words in a less then enthusiastic tone were "I only get about 48 mpg". I then asked him how it drives. His recurring description was "adequate". He said its a pain driving up hills, he doesn't like driving it in city settings because its not that peppy. I said my understanding was hybrids were more peppy because they have the electric power on tap and he was like...."ya you would think". He liked that it was roomy and and couldn't tell when the system was kicking in. My final question was what type of driving does he do more of, freeway or city driving and he said freeway.

I was thoroughly pleased with the information I got out of the conversation because I have read many articles of the Prius not achieving its advertised mileage but I hadn't heard it from an actually owner. While I admit that 48 mpg is still a commendable rate its not near the 51/60 he should be getting, especially seeing how he doesn't mostly freeway driving.
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Re: Words from a Prius owner.

I guess Toyota did not provide him with the Kool Aid most Toyota dealers supply as a no cost option.
    Did you ask him if he likes how his car looks?

Thanks

no, i didn't really think of that because thats pretty trivial. I mean everyone has their own tastes. Personally i like the rearend in a "different" sort of a high-tech futuristic look but it already looks outdates in the front and the side are too fat looking for my taste. There is another Prius owner I will try and set up an "unintentional meeting" with to see how the opinions differ, and I'll make sure to ask that question.
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Thanks, I look forward to hearing their response. I will say the look of Prius is unique but so was the Aztek.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Actually, if I remember correctly, hybrid cars are supposed get better gas mileage in the city because all the stopping and going means that the electric motor is on more often, which could explain his 48 mpg on the freeway. I could be wrong though.

Thanks

mustang84...I thought the same thing as you but the thing is hybrids see the most fuel efficiency INCREASE in stop and go driving...that does not mean they get BETTER gas mileage in city then freeway...just better proportionally. Toyota's numbers say he should be getting 60 freeway...the fact that he is getting 48 with mostly freeway driving is unacceptable. IMO
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Thanks, I look forward to hearing their response. I will say the look of Prius is unique but so was the Aztek.
    haha, I hear ya. It funny how those kind of "unique" cars always have parts of the design that are really interesting and good looking but then they always have to counter it with something extremely ugly. lol
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst
    We have a Prius driver at the University, everyone hates him in Engineering because he takes the closest spot to the door (he is there at like 6:30 am everyday). I've walked by it enough to marvel at the lack of style the car has...
    Oh yeah, the car in your avatar is really stylish. On Toyota's website they say the Prius gets 51 mpg.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst
    More stylish than most Toyota and Honda's. Seriously I know when I am behind one from 1/4 mile back, I always have the urge to barf at the uglyness.
    Trust me the Malibu has to be one of the ugliest cars on the road. Thats my opinion mind you.

Thanks

Talking Re: Words from a Prius owner.

Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    Trust me the Malibu has to be one of the ugliest cars on the road. Thats my opinion mind you.
    The Toyota Camry/Lexus ES in your Avatar is just nasty BTW. One of the foulest designs I have ever seen. Just my opinion of course!

Those cost as much to make as 2 Malibu's right?! Oh, I mean as much to buy! Yeah, that's it...

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Fanatic
    mustang84...I thought the same thing as you but the thing is hybrids see the most fuel efficiency INCREASE in stop and go driving...that does not mean they get BETTER gas mileage in city then freeway...just better proportionally. Toyota's numbers say he should be getting 60 freeway...the fact that he is getting 48 with mostly freeway driving is unacceptable. IMO
    48 is pretty close to 51 for freeway

60 is for city driving

that hill part i don't know, ive taken it up hills before when i drove one, it felt fine to me

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Well at least the guy is giving an honest account of his car. It would suck to buy a car expecting one thing and not getting it. Right now there is info emerging that the Prius isn't the 'solution' the hype says it is, but at first, it's understandable why people bought into it. I thought it sounded like a great idea, but am not sure sure I'd want one now (forget the ugly looks... I mean from a drivetrain standpoint). Hopefully he'll look into a new efficient GM and become a convert!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hit the www.edmunds.com forum section and look under "Toyota Prius - Problems and Solutions." WOW, some people have really had a hard time with their Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    On Toyota's website they say the Prius gets 51 mpg.
    Good call I got the numbers backwards. Stupid hybrids throwing me off.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustang84
    Actually, if I remember correctly, hybrid cars are supposed get better gas mileage in the city because all the stopping and going means that the electric motor is on more often, which could explain his 48 mpg on the freeway. I could be wrong though.
    That's what I've always read.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information