Why It Failed: 2009 Kia Borrego

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Why It Failed: 2009 Kia Borrego

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Why It Failed: 2009 Kia Borrego

What Went Wrong: 2009 Kia Borrego

Debuting with what I remember to be less acclaim than the Hyundai Genesis, Kia's Borrego debuted without any real Kia-badged predecessor. Therefore, this was new territory for Kia, and indeed with an optional V-8 and rugged off-roady intentions, Kia had never competed with an alternative to the Explorer, Grand Pathfinder, and 4Runner. Previous Sorentos and Sportages were trucks underneath, but none were as large or expensive as was the Borrego. But the Borrego sold so badly Kia pulled it from American showrooms quickly, with 2009 models being the only Borregos sold in the US. According to Wikipedia, Canadians couldn't buy it after the 2011 MY either.

My guess is that a number of things contributed to the failure of the Borrego. Firstly, it came at a bad time, nearly in the midst of the Great Recession. Then consider that this was released not long prior to competitors shifting away from truck-type SUVs and more toward crossovers. GM already had done this, Ford soon would, and so forth. That made the Borrego perhaps coarse to the findings of many consumers, who might've preferred the more car-like drive of some competing crossovers and in some cases superior economy. I don't think the bland styling of the exterior or interior helped it at all either. The vehicle itself seemed to be competitive enough as a real SUV, but simply came at the wrong time. Had it arrived five years earlier, even then it might have still been the wrong time due to Kia brand perceptions that were only just beginning to change. And of course today the market is almost completely devoid of truck-based SUVs. If it was still on sale, it'd have almost no real competitors outside of the 4Runner. As a result, Kia should skip this type of vehicle for the foreseeable future. However, something above the Sorento in size and price would make sense. The Kia Cross GT Concept looked great and if done well in production form, would be a nice three-row crossover for the Kia brand, one styled very differently from the Hyundai Sant Fe and hopefully differentiated well.

What say you? And in addition, do you think Kia could pursue this segment again, or is it best left to the past?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

Re: Why It Failed: 2009 Kia Borrego

Wrong vehicle at the wrong time. And, to many other market segments that KIA could go after to justify taking another shot at this. A large luxurious crossover to go with the K900 would make more sense than a dedicated rock crawler.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

I still see them from time to time around Philly, but rarely. You have to know what it is to realize what it is, versus other Pathfinders, etc. I had no idea it was only for 1 year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,866 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Amongst other issues, the Kia Mohave/Borrego was also competing against the Hyundai Veracruz - and probably culled under the rationalisation of Hyundai/Kia platforms.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,348 Times in 4,476 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

As others have said, wrong product wrong time.

Introducing your biggest, most-costly product as The Great Recession continues sucking the dollars out of peoples' pockets is an Edsel-like move. Edsel was not a bad product, but the times were bad.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Sweepspear's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Riviera

Never heard of them or seen one.
    Was it only sold in certain parts of the country?
    Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.
    Stirling Moss

Current Buick...1970 Riviera.
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv / '70 Riv / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Ave. / '96 Riviera.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Amongst other issues, the Kia Mohave/Borrego was also competing against the Hyundai Veracruz - and probably culled under the rationalisation of Hyundai/Kia platforms.
    The Borrego was a BOF SUV w/ a V8, while the Veracruz was a soft-riding CUV.

As others have stated - horrible timing w/ the Great Recession and the move towards CUVs - but the high price of gas at the time also helped to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Wrong vehicle at the wrong time. And, to many other market segments that KIA could go after to justify taking another shot at this. A large luxurious crossover to go with the K900 would make more sense than a dedicated rock crawler.
    That's what it seems Kia is intent on doing based on the CrossGT concept, but it remains to be seen (if they build it) whether it will be K900/RWD based or Cadenza/FWD based.
    Last edited by YEH; 04-03-2014 at 12:08 AM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information