What's coming up for Hyundai / Genesis

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: What's coming up for Hyundai / Genesis

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

What's coming up for Hyundai / Genesis

I'll keep it brief... A small CUV to compete with cars the size of the Kia Soul is coming - though maybe not right away.

A 3-Series sized competitor is on the more immediate drawing board ALONG with a large SUV to compete with vehicles sized like the Buick Enclave. Hyundai isn't sure which vehicle will come first but the SUV is most likely to hit markets first.

These vehicles will expand the Genesis lineup keeping things fresh for customers who want a luxurious driving experience without the need for bragging rights...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sal Collaziano For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (04-08-2015),ocmdog (04-09-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,873 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: What's coming up for Hyundai / Genesis

Hyundai's iX25 compact CUV/SUV launches later this year http://auto.ndtv.com/news/hyundai-ix...eatures-656351.

A full-size SUV, bigger than Santa Fe LWB, will probably a North America-only model so they'll need to get their sales projections correct - the existing Santa Fe LWB is too big for many global markets so going bigger will be a gamble.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I remember the idea of luxury-izing the Borrego platform and I continue to like that idea. Market it as a global luxury SUV, and it could compete in theory with the GX and LR4, or even higher end Grand Cherokee. I don't really want another FWD crossover (not that buyers care).

The sub-Genesis is more interesting to me anyway. If they can retain as much refinement as possible from the Genesis and just offer a smaller package, that might be a nice option. I'm not sure if they should go in a sporty (ATS) or luxurious (C-Class) route. Either way if they could get Lotus' assistance again with the handling that'd be great. The nice thing for Hyundai is that they already have all the ingredients to make a great option in this segment. The RWD platform is a good one, they have all necessary tech for the interior, and they have the 8AT (6MT too if the wanted). The 1.6T and 2.0T would be nice entry and mid-level options. The new twin-turbo V-6 would be a good 335i/S4/C400 alternative.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

The Mohave/Borrego was Hyundai/Kia's replacement for the Terracan which was itself based on the previous generation Mitsubishi Pajero - the Mohave/Borrego was replaced in most markets by the 2nd generation Sorento, which is based on the 2nd generation Santa Fe. Globally, there's little demand for BOF SUVs.

Sub-Genesis is interesting as they have all the engine options already available - including I4 and V6 turbo-diesels for Europe.

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

A large and all new SUV will be very big undertaking for them. By the time they get it done, the whole market could change.

I wonder if they'll try and find one that is nearly done and just do the drivetrain???
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    A large and all new SUV will be very big undertaking for them. By the time they get it done, the whole market could change.

I wonder if they'll try and find one that is nearly done and just do the drivetrain???
    Kia Borrego in post #3...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 4,593 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Thanks for this thread.

Larger Borrego-class SUV will be interesting. Encore competitor will be interesting. Hyundai is watching KIA sell 120,000+ Souls per year and wants some of that action.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    I'll keep it brief... A small CUV to compete with cars the size of the Kia Soul is coming - though maybe not right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Hyundai's iX25 compact CUV/SUV launches later this year http://auto.ndtv.com/news/hyundai-ix...eatures-656351.
    Sal is correct as the ix25 (like the Ford EcoSport) is only for certain markets (China, India, etc.)

A 3-Series sized competitor is on the more immediate drawing board ALONG with a large SUV to compete with vehicles sized like the Buick Enclave. Hyundai isn't sure which vehicle will come first but the SUV is most likely to hit markets first.

These vehicles will expand the Genesis lineup keeping things fresh for customers who want a luxurious driving experience without the need for bragging rights...
    Interesting, thought the compact RWD sedan was further along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    A full-size SUV, bigger than Santa Fe LWB, will probably a North America-only model so they'll need to get their sales projections correct - the existing Santa Fe LWB is too big for many global markets so going bigger will be a gamble.
    As for the CUV, RT is correct that something larger than the LWB SF would basically be for the NA market (and maybe China these days, along with certain Middle East markets), but the whole sizing question goes hand in hand with RWD vs FWD and whether this will be something that just slots above the LWB SF in size or is intended to be a luxury CUV.

If it's something to slot above the LWB SF (and be a full-size competitor), then it would be FWD-based on the platform that underpins the Azera.

However, if it is intended to be a lux CUV, the Genesis platform would be the basis (for a mid-size), but that in itself poses some risks as the Japanese lux makes have gone with the cheaper FWD layout, so a RWD-based Hyundai lux CUV wouldn't have the price advantage over the MDX, QX60 and the new RX - and the distinction btwn FWD and RWD means a lot less for crossovers than sedans in the lux market.

Personally, I'd like to see Hyundai stick to RWD when it comes to their lux offerings, but I can see the business side of going with FWD for a lux CUV (which poses its own issues for Hyundai).

Like VW and Cadillac, Hyundai has been slow to expand its CUV lineup, but at the same time, unlike the other 2, didn't have the build capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    The sub-Genesis is more interesting to me anyway. If they can retain as much refinement as possible from the Genesis and just offer a smaller package, that might be a nice option. I'm not sure if they should go in a sporty (ATS) or luxurious (C-Class) route.
    Think w/ the RWD compact sedan, will gravitate on the sportier side (since it basically will be the 4-door equivalent to the new RWD coupe), but unlike the ATS, not sacrifice interior room.

Either way if they could get Lotus' assistance again with the handling that'd be great. The nice thing for Hyundai is that they already have all the ingredients to make a great option in this segment.
    Some think that the Aussie-tuned Sonata is superior to the US-tuned Genesis.

The RWD platform is a good one, they have all necessary tech for the interior, and they have the 8AT (6MT too if the wanted). The 1.6T and 2.0T would be nice entry and mid-level options. The new twin-turbo V-6 would be a good 335i/S4/C400 alternative.
    Based on one report, the TTV6 for the new RWD coupe is north of 450HP (will see if there's any truth to that - I'm a bit skeptical).
    Last edited by YEH; 04-09-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Also, the 3.3 liter twin turbo engine is expected to easily and safely achieve 480hp. However, we'll probably see 440-450 at it's release for sake of room for improvement down the road...

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    Sal is correct as the ix25 (like the Ford EcoSport) is only for certain markets (China, India, etc.)

These vehicles will expand the Genesis lineup keeping things fresh for customers who want a luxurious driving experience without the need for bragging rights...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hyundai sell very few models in all markets - they're good at being market-specific

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Hyundai has a lot coming over the horizon...

all-new Tucson (this looks really promising, better than the SF Sport but in a smaller package)

all-new Elantra

all-new Equus (the overall profile doesn't excite me based on the spyshots, but then again, can't think of a flagship sedan that does - closest might very well be the Continental despite being an amalgamation of design cues and being FWD-based)

all-new RWD coupe (Genesis coupe replacement)

all-new subcompact CUV

all-new hybrid model

all-new compact RWD sedan

all-new (lux?) CUV

And that's not counting things like the new hybrid Sonata or Hyundai's Euro offerings.

In addition, based on the latest rumblings, the Santa Cruz is getting close to being greenlit (probably dependent on Hyundai's production expansion at Alabama).

Hyundai has also been contemplating a 4-door coupe on the Genesis platform, but think at this juncture, their investment $$ would be better spent on a lux CUV (and if that rumored CUV is a lux model, then a 2nd lux CUV).

Kia has a good no. of things on its plate as well...

all-new Cadenza

all-new K900

all-new Sportage

all-new GT/K800?

The Trail'ster (Soul variant w/ e-AWD) looks like a pretty much go as well w/ Kia's Mexico plant to come online within a year.

One thing - H/K are going to have to cut weight on their higher end lux sedans.

By all accounts, the Genesis sedan is solid - has that old school feel and thunk when you shut the doors, so while I wouldn't want Hyundai to go to tinnier sheetmetal to cut weight, they need to do other things esp. after what Cadillac has done w/ the CT6 and what BMW is doing for the next 5er and 7er.

Don't need to go all-out since price is still an equation, but unless there are advances in high-tensile steel w/ regard to weight, Hyundai will have to go back to adding aluminum or other lighter weight materials (should be doing this w/ the new Equus).
    Last edited by YEH; 04-09-2015 at 01:24 PM.

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Kia Borrego in post #3...
    I know, Sal. I'm pretty sure that the Kia isn't big enough. They're talking really big, here, right? Big like comparable to the Equus...
    BIG.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    I know, Sal. I'm pretty sure that the Kia isn't big enough. They're talking really big, here, right? Big like comparable to the Equus...
    BIG.
    As mentioned in the first post - Buick Enclave sized. Not really THAT big. Not like an Escalade or anything...

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information