Are we giving Hyundai too much credit too soon?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we giving Hyundai too much credit too soon?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

Are we giving Hyundai too much credit too soon?

I am among those impressed by the latest offerings from Hyundai, but can we really gauge a complete turnaround of a company in only a year or two?

Think about it. Every award that Hyundai/Kia has ever taken has been in the category of initial quality. Im not proposing that the Koreans are still putting out crap of years past, but I think it's best we reserve our fear of Hyundai until after they build cars that run forever and become an arrogant P.R. powerhouse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are we giving Hyundai too much credit too soon?

Hyundai has been on the rebound since 2002.....these newer models are just more impressive

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I don't know, I actually think we're a little too late worrying about Hyundai. I think we should've been afraid of the Koreans starting about 4-5 years ago. I personally didn't really pay attention to them until maybe a year or two ago, but it's undeniable what they've done. They started off here with cars approaching Yugo quality and in just 10-15 years, make very competent vehicles (just not sporting or class-leading yet imho). However, even with any shortcomings, their 5yr/60k bumper to bumper and 10yr/100k powertrain warrenty AND dirt cheap prices more than make up for it. If you look at the Elantra, a nicely loaded "base" is about $11.5k that is comprable in features to many of the domestic and japanese mid-grade trims for $13-$16k. Even if they just hit the average reliability rating now, it is still probably better than Toyota's reliability rating of 10 years ago. A large percentage of conquest sales they've been able to get will be happy with Hyundai and keep buying them. I hate to say it but even though Hyundai has Toyota and Honda worried, it seems to me that Hyundai is stealing MUCH more sales from the domestics and non-big 3 Japanese makers. Once Hyundai's reputation increases more (probably 5 years at this pace), only then do I see it stealing more significant chunks from Toyota and Honda. Just my opinion looking at the landscape of the generally import happy California Bay Area.

Seriously, if GM can just offer a 5k/60k bumper to bumper on their non-luxury cars, it would do sooooo much to remove the stigma of the past...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

but I think it's best we reserve our fear of Hyundai until after they build cars that run forever and become an arrogant P.R. powerhouse.
    Well..then Hyundai/Kia would probably adopt the attitudes of GM & Ford who like to arrogantly think they already build the cars WE NEED!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,142 Times in 2,133 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I think the GM, Ford, and DCX...as well as Toyota and Honda, need to be VERY VERY wary of the Koreans.

The Koreans have a far lower cost structure than the Americans and the Japanese with ever increasing or equal quality -- perceived and actual.

The Japanese have the most to lose.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by GapingOrifice
    I don't know, I actually think we're a little too late worrying about Hyundai. I think we should've been afraid of the Koreans starting about 4-5 years ago. I personally didn't really pay attention to them until maybe a year or two ago, but it's undeniable what they've done. They started off here with cars approaching Yugo quality and in just 10-15 years, make very competent vehicles (just not sporting or class-leading yet imho). However, even with any shortcomings, their 5yr/60k bumper to bumper and 10yr/100k powertrain warrenty AND dirt cheap prices more than make up for it. If you look at the Elantra, a nicely loaded "base" is about $11.5k that is comprable in features to many of the domestic and japanese mid-grade trims for $13-$16k. Even if they just hit the average reliability rating now, it is still probably better than Toyota's reliability rating of 10 years ago. A large percentage of conquest sales they've been able to get will be happy with Hyundai and keep buying them. I hate to say it but even though Hyundai has Toyota and Honda worried, it seems to me that Hyundai is stealing MUCH more sales from the domestics and non-big 3 Japanese makers. Once Hyundai's reputation increases more (probably 5 years at this pace), only then do I see it stealing more significant chunks from Toyota and Honda. Just my opinion looking at the landscape of the generally import happy California Bay Area.

Seriously, if GM can just offer a 5k/60k bumper to bumper on their non-luxury cars, it would do sooooo much to remove the stigma of the past...
    Excellent post and unfortunately very truthful.

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    I think the GM, Ford, and DCX...as well as Toyota and Honda, need to be VERY VERY wary of the Koreans.

The Koreans have a far lower cost structure than the Americans and the Japanese with ever increasing or equal quality -- perceived and actual.

The Japanese have the most to lose.
    I do think GM needs to have caution, and be proactive. But, Toyota and Honda really have the most to lose, since it seems Hyuandai is going straight for the jugular-the mid-size sedan market.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

they're doing fine, but id still wait a year or two before buying any new sonata. remmember, time cures all wounds, and only time will tell. quality aside however their new products are quite competitive, but i fear they are a generation behind the japanese especially the sonata, it looks like an accord of today, but has it been designed to compete with the accord of tommorrow?(which is just around the bend and is ultimately the sonatas key competition same for the camry considering its 2006 run is quite short and that the sonata will actually be competing with the next gen camry not the current one.)

the rios are nice though, and the minivans seem to put the CSVs to shame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    they're doing fine, but id still wait a year or two before buying any new sonata. remmember, time cures all wounds, and only time will tell. quality aside however their new products are quite competitive, but i fear they are a generation behind the japanese especially the sonata, it looks like an accord of today, but has it been designed to compete with the accord of tommorrow?(which is just around the bend and is ultimately the sonatas key competition same for the camry considering its 2006 run is quite short and that the sonata will actually be competing with the next gen camry not the current one.)

the rios are nice though, and the minivans seem to put the CSVs to shame.
    Golly, Burns...what doesn't put the CSVs to shame?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    Golly, Burns...what doesn't put the CSVs to shame? :p
    you using the term golly for one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    you using the term golly for one
    Not really. Both are laughably out of date...

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Are we giving Hyundai too much credit too soon?

Just think, the Chinese have just started to get into the auto export game. Give them 10 years. You might see the day when it is just too expensive to build cars in the USA anymore.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

I somewhat agree with you.

Thanks

Actually, the thing about Hyundai is that they HAVE been proving themselves to be extremely reliable for the past few years, just completely undesirable. With the new Sonata, they've made a car that's competitive in all areas, and THAT'S why Hyundai is a concern.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I think they'll steal a lot of japanese car sales, as will GM with their improved quality, but I don't imagine Hyundai will ever really get up there with the Big 3 from US and Japan. They might make it to Mazda level though in terms of reputation.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information