UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous indeed!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous indeed!

Thanks

Exclamation UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous indeed!

An alternative to the divisive styling of the latest 3-Series.

Sleek head-lights reflect the new Lexus design school.

The direct-injection 2.5-litre V6 puts out 220bhp.

Interiors are bang upmarket now.

Beware the shiny walnut!

Larger inside and out, comfort levels aim to be class leading.

To read the entire article, click here: Top Gear previews the new Lexus IS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous indeed!

Still, means driving a Lexus which is like..the most looked down on brand out there.

i cant think of a comparison at the moment, but it still (in Europe) has "imitation Mercedes" written all over it.

which is why they struggle with sales here...peope just buy the Benz (which has a diesel option...nice one Lexus D'OH)

shame, i always like the IS. and i see more and more of the '05 GS too, they must be doing better with the new, more interesting Lexii....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Re: UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat
    Still, means driving a Lexus which is like..the most looked down on brand out there.

i cant think of a comparison at the moment, but it still (in Europe) has "imitation Mercedes" written all over it.

which is why they struggle with sales here...peope just buy the Benz (which has a diesel option...nice one Lexus D'OH)
    Only in Europe would you prefer a diesel over a 300hp V6 that is smooth as silk and runs 13.7 at 104 in the 1/4 mile. It's funny that different brands have a different perception in different parts of the world. Most people in the US would take the 300hp IS over any Benz in the same price range and even the few who wouldn't definitely wouldn't consider the Lexus as an imitation Benz.

When I hear imitator I think of a cheap copy that is never as good as the original and the Lexus handles better, has a better interior, is faster and far more reliable than the same class Benz so imitator might be the last thing I would think of.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, that is a sweet car. Thing is, for me, if I was going to buy a BMW its because I want a European style luxury car. This Lexus, although really nice and really good looking just can't offer that flavour of driving. I see some Acura in the rear end myself. The nicest feature of the car IMO is the cabin. 2.5L V6 with 220hp aint too shabby either.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede
    Only in Europe would you prefer a diesel over a 300hp V6 that is smooth as silk and runs 13.7 at 104 in the 1/4 mile. It's funny that different brands have a different perception in different parts of the world. Most people in the US would take the 300hp IS over any Benz in the same price range and even the few who wouldn't definitely wouldn't consider the Lexus as an imitation Benz.

When I hear imitator I think of a cheap copy that is never as good as the original and the Lexus handles better, has a better interior, is faster and far more reliable than the same class Benz so imitator might be the last thing I would think of.
    Count me in. I'd take a Lexus any day over a Mercedes.

Now, if only Lexus would make a nice 2 door coupe for the IS... this car is nice!

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swahili
    Wow, that is a sweet car. Thing is, for me, if I was going to buy a BMW its because I want a European style luxury car. This Lexus, although really nice and really good looking just can't offer that flavour of driving. I see some Acura in the rear end myself. The nicest feature of the car IMO is the cabin. 2.5L V6 with 220hp aint too shabby either.
    The cabin is indeed great. I think that is one of the aspects that is catching my eye. Still, from some of the pictures that I've, the IS in red is super sharp. If the quality of the red pearl paint is anything like the red paint job I saw on a 2005 Lexus ES330, it will knock your socks off.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

shame, i always like the IS. and i see more and more of the '05 GS too, they must be doing better with the new, more interesting Lexii....
    lexus doesn't sell as well as the euro brands is because of the lack of diesel, and the smaller engines

Thanks

well the NEW IS has a 2.5L (i think) Diesel engine option. I think it only pumps out some 175hp but has like 250+ torque.

Thanks

Lexus sales in Europe have gone up some 20-30 percent this year from last year. Most of the sales because of the new GS-series. With the IS coming and offering one of the most fuel efficient diesels in its class, sales will more than likely go up even more. Even though sales are very low compared to its German competitors, they are becoming more and more recognized with every new model introduced.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hdmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I must not be part of the most in the US, Because I'd buy a Benz every time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hdmax
    I must not be part of the most in the US, Because I'd buy a Benz every time!

Me too!

My dad bought a 05 Mercedes E320 Turbo Diesel and it's a lovely car!

155 Mph, 0 to 60Mph in 7s and yet 40Mpg...it may not be a cool car but definitely a good car.

5 Months and no problems...the car works like a German Luxury Saloon should work: In other words, just like a reliable Swiss Rolex.:p

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Re: UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous ind

Quote Originally Posted by AJR
    Count me in. I'd take a Lexus any day over a Mercedes.

Now, if only Lexus would make a nice 2 door coupe for the IS... this car is nice!
    A coupe is on the way along with an optional V8.

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: UK: This is why the new Lexus IS is set to make the BMW 3-series very nervous ind

A coupe is on the way along with an optional V8.
    What kind of coupe? The reason I ask is because I've seen a rumor around the net that a hardtop convertible would come out and be the "coupe" and "convertible" models. Of course this info came from a salesperson so that is hard to take seriously, but that is the only thing I have heard about a coupe. Toyota is the most successful car company in the world, but it sometimes doesn't see the whole picture.

Hopefully, Lexus will do a nice 2 door coupe like the BMW 3 Series coupe. It can't be too expensive, but just a simple 2 door coupe body style. I can wait a few years for that to happen.

I have also heard the rumor about the V-8, and I hope it happens. I won't be looking at the V-8, however. The 2.5 V-6 might be enough for me when future gas prices are added into the equation.

Thanks

actually, Rolex are really unreliable when it comes to accurately telling the time

if you want reliable, a quartz watch such as a Seiko Kinetic Auto-Relay are much more accurate, and will be more reliable

Thanks

actually, Rolex are really unreliable when it comes to accurately telling the time

if you want reliable, a quartz watch such as a Seiko Kinetic Auto-Relay are much more accurate, and will be more reliable

Well...I like my Rolex. I think it's classy and it works pretty well. I only wear it when I go to parties... :p

But for everyday use, I wear an Ômega Seamaster 300, it's accurate and I think the Ômega is cool because James Bond has one.

Anyway...

The Important thing is: My dad's Mercedes has been totally faultless in 7.000 Miles of ownership, the car starts at first time and it is completely smooth with no signs of rattles whatsoever.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information