UK: The Nissan 350Z Roadster. A Real Beast or just All Show and No Go?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: UK: The Nissan 350Z Roadster. A Real Beast or just All Show and No Go?

Thanks

UK: The Nissan 350Z Roadster. A Real Beast or just All Show and No Go?

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...630541,00.html

Nissan 350Z Roadster
    By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times

Too polite to be a beast

"The 350Z, then, feels like a mishmash; like a Japanese car designed by an Indian from Leicester in America and then altered for Europe.
    Which shouldn't be a surprise because that’s exactly what it is. And worse, when you’re at a party and someone asks what you’re driving you have to say: “A Datsun with a Renault engine.”

Clarkson on the Nissan 350Z Roadster.

__________________________________________________ ________

My Opinion: I once drove a 2004 Grey Nissan 350Z Coupe and I have to be brutally honest:

I Was disappointed.

The car wasn't particularly fast in let's say in a "Sports Car" sort of way. It was more like a Rapid Motorway Cruiser, rather than a real Beast. Sure it did had Torque but Not that "Neck Snapping" Acceleration. The engine didn't growl or even humble - it sounded "normal". And actually, it was quite noisy at high speeds.

The Handling also wasn't specially breathtaking. It did go around bends, but it lacked the same precision as a BMW 330Ci. The steering was too light and the ride very stiff. Brakes were good though.

Very Uncomfortable. Seats are hard and the headroom is mediocre for tall people. Boot size is a Joke.

The Build Quality was suspect. The one I drove, was already with a rattle from the Glovebox area, and the plastics were too cheap and flimsy.

At least it was a nice looking car, if not a bit of "Porsche Styling Rip-Off".

In my conclusion: It wasn't a bad car. But somewhat disappointing for a sport coupe. Not bad but not good - Just Boring as most of the Nissans.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: UK: The Nissan 350Z Roadster. A Real Beast or just All Show and No Go?

I don't see why he'd call most Nissans boring. Even though I don't like the 350Z.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks

where to begin... first off, the VQ line (3.0, 3.5, and now 4.0) is a nissan engine, been around since well before renault bought them out. secondly, is he reviewing the coupe or roadster? the headline and pic are roadster, the article says coupe. thirdly, 350Zs do growl, unless euro tuning messes it up. some reviewers have even said they thought the G35 coupe (the Z's big brother) sounded like a small V-8. although i do get why he says nissans are boring... in europe their best car besides the Z is no more exciting than the old (92-01) altima. IMO nissan is the one company that gives the US better cars than europe.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

From what I've read, the Euro-spec version of the 350Z had a retuned exhaust because the "growl" found in the U.S.-spec version would've been considered too loud for European roads. Odd, but it's what I've heard.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

The only complaint I have about the 350Z roadster is the quality of the materials for the price. I driven one on many occasions (buddy's car) and the door panels feel cheap, there are a couple of rattles in the dash, etc. His car only had 7,500 miles on it too. I just think that for nearly 40k for a roadster, you could get better materials. For a couple grand more, you could get into some really nice roadsters from BMW, Benz, and Audi.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information