Toyota Reports Best-Ever Sales Month, July Sales up 12.3%

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Toyota Reports Best-Ever Sales Month, July Sales up 12.3%

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Toyota Reports Best-Ever Sales Month, July Sales up 12.3%

August 2, 2005 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported its best-ever sales month in 48 years of business in the United States with total July sales of 216,417 vehicles, an increase of 12.3 percent. Calendar-year-to-date (CYTD) sales total 1,330,487, up 11.7 percent over the same period last year.

"As sure as the rising tide of bargains lifted the market industry-wide, the coming months will test the industry's seaworthiness," said Jim Press, TMS president and COO. "We're banking on the breadth and strength of our products – from hybrids to pickups – to sustain our momentum."

The Toyota Division posted all-time best-ever sales of 189,855, up 12.6 percent. The Lexus Division reported best-ever July sales with 26,562 units sold, an increase of 9.8 percent.

Toyota Division passenger cars recorded best-ever July sales of 108,301, up 16.2 percent over the same period last year. The all-new 2005 Avalon full-size sedan enjoyed best-ever July sales of 9,432, up 188.4 percent. The Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan posted best-ever July sales of 9,691, an increase of 92.4 percent. Camry sales rose 7.7 percent with 43,004 units sold, while Corolla sales were a best-ever July at 30,557 units, up 3.8 percent.

Toyota Division light truck sales were up 8.2 percent, with an all-time best-ever total of 81,554 units. Light truck sales were led by the Sienna van with all-time best-ever sales of 18,293, up 42.9 percent over the same period last year. RAV4 compact SUV sales rose 14.5 percent with 7,394 units sold, while Tacoma pickup truck sales were at 16,410, up 14.2 percent. The Highlander Hybrid gas-electric mid-size SUV, which launched in early June, reported sales of 2,564 units in July. The Highlander and Highlander Hybrid enjoyed best-ever combined July sales of 14,223, up 4.4 percent.

Scion reported best-ever July sales with 15,288 units sold. The tC sports coupe, which debuted last summer, led the way with best-ever sales of 7,929 units, an increase of 30.8 percent over last July.

Lexus passenger cars posted best-ever July sales with 13,757 units, an increase of 17.5 percent. Sales momentum continued with best-ever July sales of the GS 300, which posted sales of 2,785 units and an increase of 315.5 percent, while the GS 430 posted sales of 589, an increase of 333.8 percent. The ES 330 entry luxury sedan enjoyed best-ever July sales of 6,810, an increase of 6.0 percent over the same period last year.

Lexus Division light trucks posted July sales with 12,805 units, up 2.6 percent. The LX 470 full-size luxury utility vehicle sales rose 41.4 percent in July for a total of 893 units. The GX 470 recorded best-ever July sales of 2,847 units, an increase of 5.0 percent. The 2006 RX 400h, launched in April as the world's first luxury hybrid vehicle, reported sales of 2,262 units for the month. The RX 330 and RX 400h posted combined July sales of 9,065 units.

Sales of North American-built vehicles accounted for 61.5 percent of total July sales. There were 26 selling days this sales month compared to 27 last July.

Source

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Toyota Reports Best-Ever Sales Month, July Sales up 12.3%

Doesn't surpraise me 1 bit. Toyota has a good product line that they can move without heavy incentives.
    Take notes GM!!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice. I wonder why luxury SUV's haven't has sales declines, like SUV's from mainstream brands have?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    Very nice. I wonder why luxury SUV's haven't has sales declines, like SUV's from mainstream brands have?
    Yeah, really... I mean look at GM alone... other than the Suburban, and Equinox, and Tahoe, and Envoy, and Yukon, and Yukon XL, and H1, H2 and H3, and Vue, and Escalade and SRX, sales were down. About 1000 for the Buicks, 1300 for the Aztek, and 2000 for the TrailBlazer. Oh, and don't forget, the new 9-7x was closing in on 700 sales. Not the disappointing month you allude to, it seems.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Talking Re: Toyota Reports Best-Ever Sales Month, July Sales up 12.3%

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488
    Yeah, really... I mean look at GM alone... other than the Suburban, and Equinox, and Tahoe, and Envoy, and Yukon, and Yukon XL, and H1, H2 and H3, and Vue, and Escalade and SRX, sales were down. About 1000 for the Buicks, 1300 for the Aztek, and 2000 for the TrailBlazer. Oh, and don't forget, the new 9-7x was closing in on 700 sales. Not the disappointing month you allude to, it seems.
    Great job pointing that out Paul! I too grow tired of posters rehashing a lame article that was in some rag during the last few years.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

Just look at this. No huge incentives needed to push Toyota's products.

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vintalage
    Just look at this. No huge incentives needed to push Toyota's products.
    That, to me, is the most telling aspect of this month of monster blowouts. Even with all the fuss about Employee this and Employee that, Toyota managed to keep a consistant sales rate in this country. I would guess through thick and thin, Toyota will just keep on going.

I really am impressed with the continued sales increases of the Camry and Corolla. They are posting sales numbers Detroit can only dream about when it comes to cars. I'm curious to see how good Toyota could be if its trucks sold at the same rate as its cars. Hopefully, we can find out next year.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra AllTerrain 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by AJR
    That, to me, is the most telling aspect of this month of monster blowouts. Even with all the fuss about Employee this and Employee that, Toyota managed to keep a consistant sales rate in this country. I would guess through thick and thin, Toyota will just keep on going.

I really am impressed with the continued sales increases of the Camry and Corolla. They are posting sales numbers Detroit can only dream about when it comes to cars. I'm curious to see how good Toyota could be if its trucks sold at the same rate as its cars. Hopefully, we can find out next year.
    Excuse me? These totals are for North America.. not worldwide. GM still sells more cars and trucks in the US than Toyota. The Cobalt sold 27,484 units in June. And yes it's with a discount, and yes they sold well before and will after the discount. And yes they look better than a Corolla. So Detroit doesn't need to dream... its called REALITY.

Thanks

Bvonscott - what you, like most other people around here, keep forgetting is the simple fact that it does NOT MATTER who sells more cars/trucks. The winner is the one who makes the MOST PROFIT.

GM is losing about $1 Billion every quarter (couple of hundred million if you take GMAC profits into account), while Toyota makes about $1 Billion a month in profit.

So you need to keep dreaming because if this keeps up then the GM and Ford will go bankrupt. This insane game of market share at any expense (employee discounts / etc...) needs to stop. Close down plants and let go of workers - a smaller, but more nimble, and responsive, AND PROFITABLE GM is much more valuable in the long term than they are now - selling more but losing money.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information