Toyota may not bring back Supra?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota may not bring back Supra?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Toyota may not bring back Supra?

This article is a year old, but it is interesting, and could still be valid, aside from a few things mentioned.http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_toyota_...ring/index.htm

I hope its not true.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: Toyota may not bring back Supra?

Im sure they will, but it will cost 70-80k and be wearing an L...

Toyota is for middle aged people/familys now, they dont have anything going in the sports car field. No, the Celica doesnt count, and the current MR2 is a joke, and both are being killed off. When they launched the Scion brand thats where all of their youth oriented models are going, and I wouldnt expect to see a Supra coming out of there anytime soon/ at all...
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMfan2381
    Toyota is for middle aged people/familys now, they dont have anything going in the sports car field. No, the Celica doesnt count, and the current MR2 is a joke, and both are being killed off. When they launched the Scion brand thats where all of their youth oriented models are going, and I wouldnt expect to see a Supra coming out of there anytime soon/ at all...
    Am I the only one that sees a problem in this? not that I want toyota to do well, but I'm just saying
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Anytime a brand loses a performance oriented coupe, everybody loses.

I'm with GMfan2381, they won't reverse this bad decision, and that sucks. Celica should be a reasonably priced Toyota Sport Coupe, not a Lexus Megabuck Coupe.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't we just have some Supra concept pics posted on the site this week from some Japanese mag? I'd say they should bring back the Celica as an affordable coupe, bigger than the tC but more sporty than the melted plastic Solara. Lexus could get the all out Vette fighter.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Definatly a bad idea to kill off the Celica name, its as well known as the Camry or Corrolla, and there should be no reason why.....cars like the RSX, Eclipse, and Tiburon are doing good. There are tons of Celicas on the road, if anything, atleast let Scion have it. But then I guess the Tc is picking up where the Celica is leaving off.

As for the MR2, they killed it by making it overpriced. Most cars in the segment started around 20,000. If they wanted to sell it at 26,000 they should atleast gave it the Celica GTS engine and not a Corrolla engine. They should keep it in the linup, or make a new performance division for it, Or give it to Scion.

Thanks

Yeah I really don't want to see the Celica go, make it affordable, and sporty, and it will sell. One thing I want Toyota to do is go back to its roots, and build affordable sporty coupes, with turbos, and All-trac, that would be totally sweet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAerio
    Definatly a bad idea to kill off the Celica name, its as well known as the Camry or Corrolla, and there should be no reason why.....cars like the RSX, Eclipse, and Tiburon are doing good. There are tons of Celicas on the road, if anything, atleast let Scion have it. But then I guess the Tc is picking up where the Celica is leaving off.

As for the MR2, they killed it by making it overpriced. Most cars in the segment started around 20,000. If they wanted to sell it at 26,000 they should atleast gave it the Celica GTS engine and not a Corrolla engine. They should keep it in the linup, or make a new performance division for it, Or give it to Scion.
    Definitely the Celica name deserves to say,(Infact other than the Land Cruiser & Corolla, the Celica is one of Toyota's oldest, and best known nameplates) I see a ton of the current generation Celicas, and they do look sharp. It pisses me off that Hyundai can have a sporty coupe (one that I really hate) and Toyota can't. The MR2 had 2 things wrong with it. #1 It was too expensive for its target market, and needed the Celica GTS engine, and #2 There was practically no storage space, so it was impractical for the typical roadster buyer.
    Last edited by griswold44; 07-03-2005 at 12:19 AM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

It has already been reported that Toyota will release a Supra for '07 to compete squarely against the next gen 350Z and other similarily classed sport coupes. Lexus will also get a sport coupe for '07. It will go against the 2008 Infiniti Skyline.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    Yeah I really don't want to see the Celica go, make it affordable, and sporty, and it will sell. One thing I want Toyota to do is go back to its roots, and build affordable sporty coupes, with turbos, and All-trac, that would be totally sweet.
    I too want Toyota to go back to their roots.... Making sewing machines. :p

Seriously though, Toyota came to a point where they had to make a choice with their target age group and took the family car route. But thats why they made Scion... Sporty coupes and "hip" image
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

Thanks

I kind've wish they would leave at least the Celica in the Toyota lineup you know give someone a choice if they don't want to get a Scion if they are a little older than the targeted age group.

Thanks

I wish Toyota would give its car enthusiasts some bread crumbs now and then. Just take a V8 and cram in into one of their small RWD platforms. Then price it head to head with Z350.

Thanks
    My Ride
    See Sig

As I recall, the origional rumors surrounding the spy shots seen some time ago were that it would be called a Lexus, and likely be targetting more exotic cars, with a price tag of around 100k, and a v10 engine with around 500hp or something...I am not sure how accurate it was in the first place, but I havent seen anything on the car in a long time, either supporting or disproving.
    Last edited by Cphelps; 07-06-2005 at 07:48 PM.
    Current:
    2000 Corvette Convertible MN6 - Summer DD (CAI, LS6 intake mani, cam, valve springs, 25% UD Pulley, LT headers/X-pipe, C5Z06 Ti catback, C6Z51 anti-sway bars w/ custom heim joint end links, C6Z51 dampers, LG tunnel plate, Nitto NT05s)
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Z71
    1995 BMW M3 5 spd - Track toy - SOLD
    1998 Honda VFR800FI
    2005 Fleetwood Prowler 28' Travel Trailer
    Wife:
    2020 Equinox LT AWD

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cphelps
    As I recall, the origional rumors surrounding the spy shots seen some time ago were that it would be called a Lexus, and likely be targetting more exotic cars, with a price tag of around 100k, and a v10 engine with around 500hp or something...I am not sure how accurate it was in the first place, but I havent seen anything on the car in a long time, either supporting or disproving.
    Again, from what i've read and gathered, there will indeed be a Supra for the Toyota brand as well as a super car for the Lexus brand known at this point as the LF-A.

Thanks

Toyota is getting their performance back.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information