Toyota to invest more $ in Texas

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Toyota to invest more $ in Texas

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Toyota to invest more $ in Texas

August 02, 2005 10:05

ERLANGER, Ky., Aug 02, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America (TMMNA) (NYSE: TM) announced today that it will invest an additional $50 million at its San Antonio plant currently under construction to allow for a 50,000 vehicle increase in overall production capacity.

This will bring the total investment of Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) to $850 million and will give the plant total production capacity of 200,000 vehicles per year. TMMTX is scheduled to begin production of the Tundra full-size pick-up truck by the end of 2006.

"Toyota's announcement today that it is investing another $50 million in Texas is great news for our state," Gov. Rick Perry said. "I am particularly proud to be making this announcement on the same day that my wife, First Lady Anita Perry, and Secretary of State Roger Williams are meeting with Toyota officials in Japan as part of a trade mission there. I share Toyota's commitment to the principle of 'kaizen' (continuous improvement) and look forward to many years of continued partnership with Toyota."

"We have been extremely pleased with San Antonio and especially with the favorable business climate in Texas," said Dennis Cuneo, Senior Vice President of Toyota Motor North America and Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America. "The successful efforts of Governor Perry and the legislature to reform the state's workers' compensation system is a prime example of their commitment to supporting Texas businesses."

"This is great news for the San Antonio community," said Hidehiko "T.J." Tajima, President of Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. "This is the result of the tremendous support we have received from our partners in the community, as well as strong efforts displayed by our own team members and our supplier partners. This is a proud day for Team Texas."

Toyota officials noted that this capacity increase will allow the company to respond quickly to market conditions should demand for the popular Tundra continue to grow. Making the additional investment now while the plant is under construction is more efficient than expanding after production actually begins at the facility. The increase will be accomplished through machinery and line-spacing modifications. At this point, no decision has been made to increase employment beyond the 2,000 initially announced in 2003.

Read More at:
    http://www.guru.newsalert.com/bin/st...bWbmJe0CdeXodG

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Toyota to invest more $ in Texas

I just saw, what I couldnt believe, Toyotas having a sale now too!!! Toyota Time. I thought toyota never offered incentives!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    I just saw, what I couldnt believe, Toyotas having a sale now too!!! Toyota Time. I thought toyota never offered incentives!
    I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again. EVERYBODY HAS INCENTIVES, BUT COMPANIES LIKE TOYOTA & HONDA DON'T HAVE $5000 OFF A VEHICLE ALL YEAR LONG. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional incentive, it's when you have what I stated above (I'm not going to repeat myself) is when it becomes a problem. Heck it saves the consumer a little money that could be used for other things (bills, gas, food) I'm not taking it out on you 327, but I figure I might as well point it out sooner or later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

the key word is TOYOTA is going to invest when will people get it through their heads that the investment is for their benefit, not ours, and ultimately harms us

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by kenmi
    the key word is TOYOTA is going to invest when will people get it through their heads that the investment is for their benefit, not ours, and ultimately harms us
    The problem is that 100% pull-out of foreign automotive manufacturing in the US wouldn't be backfilled by domestic anytime soon... so your economy would crash and burn. I guess it's a vicious sort of cycle... the domestic automakers aren't growing the way the imports are, and aren't providing any new jobs for Americans, so the import companies are welcomed as they DO provide more jobs... perpetuating the cycle currently rolling away in the US. I'd have a tough time slamming an out-of-work Texan for working at a new Toyota plant instead of sitting at home collecting welfare.

Hey, what's more desireable... a job at Toyota, or sitting in the job bank, waiting to be called back to a job at GM?
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenmi
    So providing new jobs, and investing MILLIONS in the US is bad now? Or is it because EVIL TOYOTA is doing it?

Thanks

he cant take it that theyre offering discounts now too , from the commercial as much as i paid attention to it, i figured up they are offering around 3000+ on incentives and 0 percent APR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    he cant take it that theyre offering discounts now too , from the commercial as much as i paid attention to it, i figured up they are offering around 3000+ on incentives and 0 percent APR
    I don't care if they offer discounts (even though it technically isn't an Employee discount).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plane
    kenmi,

Unfortuantely gris never learned how to spell Keiretsu or expatriation of profits for that matter.

The moment that gris has been waiting for is almost upon us. Toyo is about to kick GM's b*tt 10 ways from Sunday with their new trucks. GM doesn't stand a chance and gris loves it.

BTW gris - How's that Chevy running?
    It's fine.

Thanks

I wonder why this thread was moved to the Asian section, and not the Competition section?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plane
    Cool. Nice to hear.
    I haven't driven much, because Diesel is over $3.00 a gallon where I live.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information