"Toyota and Honda are killing them!"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Toyota and Honda are killing them!"

Thanks

"Toyota and Honda are killing them!"

BY DEE-ANN DURBIN THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Posted on Wednesday, November 2, 2005

DETROIT — General Motors, Ford and Nissan reported big declines Tuesday, while Toyota’s U. S. sales edged up slightly, Honda’s sales rose and DaimlerChrysler’s sales were flat.

With fuel prices high, sport utility vehicles took the biggest hit across all makers. Sales of the Ford Explorer, Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon, Hummer H 2 and Toyota Land Cruiser were all down 50 percent or more. GM, Ford and Chrysler, the three biggest U. S. automakers, all stopped offering their employee-discount prices in early October.

But the domestic manufacturers’ problems aren’t all attributable to the end of heavy discounts, one analyst said. “Toyota and Honda are killing them in terms of their ability to produce vehicles that people want on time and at a low cost,” said Sean Egan, managing director of Egan-Jones Ratings Co., an independent debt-rating firm in Haverford, Pa. “We consider this a war of attrition with Ford and GM on the losing end.”

General Motors Corp., the world’s biggest automaker, said its U. S. sales fell 22. 7 percent in October from a year earlier, led by a 30. 3 percent decline in sales of trucks and SUVs. GM’s car sales fell 10. 6 percent.

Paul Ballew, GM’s executive director of market and industry analysis, said it was the industry’s worst month since 1998. But he said October must be viewed in the context of the summer sales blitz, which was fueled by U. S. automakers’ employee-discount incentives. This year is still on track to be the second or third best in history for U. S. auto sales, Ballew said.

Ford Motor Co. ’s U. S. sales fell 23 percent in October from a year earlier. Sales of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury trucks and sport utility vehicles fell 30 percent, while car sales slipped 3. 7 percent.

“October wasn’t a very good month for anybody,” said George Pipas, Ford’s U. S. sales analysis manager.

Ford said its new Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr midsize sedans were notable exceptions, exceeding Ford’s expectations in their first month in dealerships.

German automaker DaimlerChrysler AG’s U. S.-based Chrysler Group said its car sales rose a strong 37 percent, and the Dodge Stratus sedan had its best October in nearly 10 years. But truck and SUV sales fell 9. 5 percent and Chrysler’s overall sales were flat for the month.

Asian automakers stayed out of the employee-discount fray, but several of them experienced a downturn in October anyway.

Japan’s Nissan Motor Co. said U. S. sales were down 19 percent, including a 23 percent dip in car sales and South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Co. said sales were down 7. 7 percent in October.

But Toyota Motor Corp. said its U. S. sales rose 5. 2 percent in October, boosted by a 12. 6 percent jump in car sales. Toyota’s truck and SUV sales were down 4 percent for the month. Its hybrid Prius continued to dazzle, with sales up 68 percent over October 2004.

Honda Motor Co. reported an increase of 4 percent, which the company attributed to strong sales of its redesigned Civic sedan

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?pap...storyid=135152

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: "Toyota and Honda are killing them!"

Is it just me or has Honda more or less flatlined? It seems like they've lost a lot of momentum over the past few years. Surprising to hear Nissan lost that much share. Everyone I know seems to love them, and their products are fairly new.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by banzai79
    Is it just me or has Honda more or less flatlined? It seems like they've lost a lot of momentum over the past few years. Surprising to hear Nissan lost that much share. Everyone I know seems to love them, and their products are fairly new.
    Maybe people are realizing that Honda for the most part has bland styling with acception to the new Civic. Hopefully soon people will realize that the Toyota's have the dullest showrooms out right now, yet they continue to shine

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Is it just me or has Honda more or less flatlined?

Honda† 110,895 (oct 05); 110,502 (oct 04) = + 0.4% (industry sales down 14 % for oct 05 vs 04)
    1,223,812 (ytd 05) 1,161,493 (ytd 04) = +5.4%

hondans in canada = +25 %

as flat as dolly parton

Thanks

This article BASICALLY is saying the Civic and the Prius raised Sales numbers for Toyota and Honda

thats the mark of the great corporation! always have the right product at the right time; the toytans and the hondans know how to pull it off

cometh the hour, cometh the product!

Thanks

I think they are using those cars as an example as they are the most fuel effiecient vehicles for both brands(save the Insight, which was never a big seller).

But the truth for this month is that the Corolla saw an increase(more of a flatline with a less than 1% increase) the Avalon with a 200+% increase and the Pruis with a 68% increase. So basically the Avalon was doing the most damage this month for Toyota.

Over at Honda both the Civic and Accord saw increases. Civic with 14% and Accord with 2%.

Thanks

The problem is you can't expect a car to carry you. The sales of both cars will fall sharply after a few months. That's when the demand will have been satisfied.
    At that point Toyota and Honda are screwed just like everyone else.

oh no they ain't: they will alwys have the right product for the right hour!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst
    Japan has made mistakes, killing the MR2 was the STUPIDEST thing Toyota ever did. I used to have a little respect for them with that car. Now none.

And who makes a lot more mistakes? Like killing off your beloved C * * * * O.

And I doubt Toyota or Honda really care about what you think of them.

Thanks

Japan has made mistakes, killing the MR2 was the STUPIDEST thing Toyota ever did. I used to have a little respect for them with that car. Now none.
    For sporting character that it brought to the brand yes. But as far as sales go and profit, no. It was better for them to just drop it. Toyota limited its production. It was a niche vehicle. The only car that sells resonably well is the Miata and even that is not a huge seller. THe MR2 was a car that you coulndt use as a daily driver. Great performance in such a small package, but no room for anything but yourself and a passenger.

But you never know. They might resurrect it once again, as it has great history. With the LF-A coming in the next couple years, we might see a MR2 or/and a Supra.

Thanks

The problem is you can't expect a car to carry you. The sales of both cars will fall sharply after a few months. That's when the demand will have been satisfied.

At that point Toyota and Honda are screwed just like everyone else.
    Do you want to place a bet on that? I will save this post and bring it up in a few months, just to show how wrong you truly are.

You clearly have no understanding of how the car market works.

The Civic is new, so sales will continue to increase for the next few months. The Prius has a waiting list that goes on for several months, because Toyota just does NOT have the capacity to fulfill demand. Everytime Toyota increases supply, the demand for the Prius goes just as high, if not higher.

Thanks

Funny, I see a lot of them around here, at least as many as I see Miata's and S2000's, actualy I probably see more MR2's.
    Maybe. But the fact is that the MR2 never sold anywhere close to 10K units in one year. If I recall correctly in its best year they sold around 6500-7K. Last year in 2004 when they experienced an increase from 2003, they sold some 4500 units. Thats not a lot at all.

Now, compared to the S2000, they have been moving around 8-9K units a year, and the Miata 9-10K+.

Which is why they cancelled the model. The competing cars where better plus Toyota limited production. I'm happy its gone. It was getting ounded. THey may come back with a new and improved model, but who knows.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Toyota is still producing the MR2, except it's no longer available in the U.S. So, you still have a tiny bit of respect for them left.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    Toyota is still producing the MR2, except it's no longer available in the U.S. So, you still have a tiny bit of respect for them left.
    I have aways respected the Supra Turbo

Thanks

I dont have any respect for Toyota and Honda, okay enough respect to type with big letters. I just dont understand how they can come from Asia and "take over" GMs, Fords and DCs market. Especially GM, they have always been on top - keep it that way and make decent vehicles, GM !

Thanks

I just bought a g6 gtp and the weekend after my gf bought a 2006 honda civic. The g6 is fast, comfortable and has attractive styling. The civic is economical, comfortable, and needs a new front end with only 700kms on it. honda=crap. Not to mention the dealer must replace the instrument cluster as it was cracked and scratched when she picked up the car. Booourns to honda

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information