Toyota August sales up 14%

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Toyota August sales up 14%

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Toyota August sales up 14%

Toyota Motor August US Sales Rise 14%
    01 Sep 05 15:37

TORRANCE, Calif. -(Dow Jones)- Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.'s August sales rose 14%, driven by the strength of its new vehicles and hybrid technology.
    In a press release Tuesday, the Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) unit said August vehicle sales rose to 205,362 vehicles sold from 180,394 vehicles a year ago. Sales rose 9.5% on a daily-selling-rate basis.
    August 2005 had 26 selling days, up from 25 a year ago.
    Toyota's passenger car sales for the month rose to 120,198 vehicles from 97, 632 a year ago, driven by a sales surge for its 2005 Avalon full-size sedan and its Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan in its Toyota division and the GS 430 and 300 in its Lexus division.
    August total light truck sales climbed to 85,164 vehicles from 82,762 vehicles a year ago, led by sales of the Tacoma pickup in its Toyota division and the LX 470 in its Lexus division.
    Toyota's year-to-date total U.S. vehicle sales rose to 1.54 million units from 1.39 million a year earlier. The increase represents a growth of 11.4% on a daily-selling-rate basis.
    Among the top three automakers, General Motors Corp. (GM) said it sold 355,180 new cars and trucks in August, down 13% from 406,623 a year earlier amid tight inventories. Meanwhile, Ford Motor Co.'s (F) August sales rose 6.3% to 288,429 vehicles from 271,394 vehicles a year ago. DaimlerChrysler AG's (DCX) Chrysler Group U.S. sales rose 5% during the month to 206,352 vehicles from 196,018 vehicles a year earlier

More:http://www.nyse.com/interface/jsp/NH...sdowjones=true

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Toyota August sales up 14%

Ahh, is this the Toyota time clearance event or an after affect of the employee discount like previous months?

Thanks

Awwww maaan!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

that's good, it's funny how in the US they're so popular, but in canada, GM is the most popular. With the tough competition out there, I'm surprised GM has stayed #1 for so long, but in a way, it teaches GM that they need to make an effort when designing their cars and we've noticed it in quality, and in powertrains, but interior materials need to be focused on a bit more, they're starting to get good, but they can't be penny pinching anymore, but sadly Toyota has more R & D money as they don't pay as high wages or offer the same benefits as GM with UAW.
    Last edited by IAMCANADIAN; 09-01-2005 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing a LOT of Toyota fleet sales in my area! Lots. Even the New Tacoma before I saw it elsewhere! :headscratch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    that's good, it's funny how in the US they're so popular, but in canada, GM is the most popular. With the tough competition out there, I'm surprised GM has stayed #1 for so long, but in a way, it teaches GM that they need to make an effort when designing their cars and we've noticed it in quality, and in powertrains, but interior materials need to be focused on a bit more, they're starting to get good, but they can't be penny pinching anymore, but sadly Toyota has more R & D money as they don't pay as high wages or offer the same benefits as GM with UAW.
    GM cars are generally alot cheaper than imports. Im sure thats a big reason why its popular.

Remember cavalier/sunfire? See millions of them on the road. They go for as low as $10K Canadian brand new. And the imports are like generally 15k+ brand new.

Thanks

I think you are going to see Toyota continue to rise due to their hybrid offerings and fuel econmical cars. I think that Toyota in the U.S. is a joke however because GM and Ford are restricted from selling too many cars in Japan.
    I have a friend who is a musician and is now on a world tour. The Japanese government would not let him work in Japan because they have a protectionist policy that forces employers to hire Japanese citizens. The same is true with almost every industry in Japan.
    Why we give them the candy store in America but let them shut us out in Japan is beyond me. We should adopt the same policies here in this country and then we'll see if Toyota sales rise!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squachy
    GM cars are generally alot cheaper than imports. Im sure thats a big reason why its popular.

Remember cavalier/sunfire? See millions of them on the road. They go for as low as $10K Canadian brand new. And the imports are like generally 15k+ brand new.
    true, but this year, until the employee discount came out (which some cars only have like 1,500 off) GM didn't have any big rebates, they might lower the price like $1000-$2000 but that's it, the only other big rebate was with the 2005 Sunfire, which the SL was lowered to $10,000 which I looked at one since I could get one with sunroof, air, auto, tilt steering etc for about $16,000, but after driving one, not that they were bad, but I preferred the power of my 2002 Alero V6. Since the Sunfire is gone and once the emplyoee discount is finished, I don't imagine GM Canada will have too many big rebates anymore. It only seems that the US is where GM has problems selling cars.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 04Malibu
    I think you are going to see Toyota continue to rise due to their hybrid offerings and fuel econmical cars. I think that Toyota in the U.S. is a joke however because GM and Ford are restricted from selling too many cars in Japan.
    I have a friend who is a musician and is now on a world tour. The Japanese government would not let him work in Japan because they have a protectionist policy that forces employers to hire Japanese citizens. The same is true with almost every industry in Japan.
    Why we give them the candy store in America but let them shut us out in Japan is beyond me. We should adopt the same policies here in this country and then we'll see if Toyota sales rise!!!!
    The US can't become a protectionist country, mainly because of all the International relations, including the NAFTA agreement. Pacific Rim reliations are growing, especially with China, which could lead to more countries like Japan. You can't really blame japan for toyota sales rising. GM and Toyota make good products and both are fierce competition. I'm surprised that GM has stayed #1 in the US for so long, especially with the tough competition today and while both GM and Toyota make good products, it does teach GM that if they want to remain #1, they need to start building #1 products. I've noticed this with the latest products coming out like the W-Bodies, Delta cars like the Cobalt/Pursuit/HHR, Epsilon vehicles like the Saab 9-3, G6, Malibu and the future Saturn Aura, Kappa Vehicles and how Cadillac is actually building exciting vehicles, not your grandfather's Cadillac. Both Toyota and GM have their flaws and perhaps another reason for poorer sales in the US is the bias issue. You'll barely hear negatives about Toyota or Honda but you'll hear all the negatives about GM or Ford, which really isn't fair, it should be a balance of positives. But like i've said before, anybody who will actually listen to these people are just lazy asses who rely on a stupid third party to make their decisions.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing a LOT of Toyota fleet sales in my area! Lots. Even the New Tacoma before I saw it elsewhere! :headscratch
    that can't increase the sales as much with the profits toyota is making per vehicle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    The US can't become a protectionist country, mainly because of all the International relations, including the NAFTA agreement. Pacific Rim reliations are growing, especially with China, which could lead to more countries like Japan. You can't really blame japan for toyota sales rising. GM and Toyota make good products and both are fierce competition. I'm surprised that GM has stayed #1 in the US for so long, especially with the tough competition today and while both GM and Toyota make good products, it does teach GM that if they want to remain #1, they need to start building #1 products. I've noticed this with the latest products coming out like the W-Bodies, Delta cars like the Cobalt/Pursuit/HHR, Epsilon vehicles like the Saab 9-3, G6, Malibu and the future Saturn Aura, Kappa Vehicles and how Cadillac is actually building exciting vehicles, not your grandfather's Cadillac. Both Toyota and GM have their flaws and perhaps another reason for poorer sales in the US is the bias issue. You'll barely hear negatives about Toyota or Honda but you'll hear all the negatives about GM or Ford, which really isn't fair, it should be a balance of positives. But like i've said before, anybody who will actually listen to these people are just lazy asses who rely on a stupid third party to make their decisions.
    I don't think anyone could have said it better. But I believe that the US and Canada can be protectionist toward countries who exhibit the same attitudes toward us. Believe me, the Chinese probably would not care one way or the other is we started limiting Japanese imports here in the US. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it would hurt sino-American relations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 04Malibu
    I don't think anyone could have said it better. But I believe that the US and Canada can be protectionist toward countries who exhibit the same attitudes toward us. Believe me, the Chinese probably would not care one way or the other is we started limiting Japanese imports here in the US. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it would hurt sino-American relations.
    Canada tried to be protectionist, especially from the US in the 70's when Trudeau was prime minister. didn't go well with a lot of people, then Brian Mulroney came in and he created NAFTA and created a lot of relations with other countries. I don't think it would be fair on limiting japanese imports to the US when most Japanese cars are built in NA anyway.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information