Toyota Announces Best-Ever Third Quarter And September Sales, Up 10%

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Announces Best-Ever Third Quarter And September Sales, Up 10%

Thanks

Toyota Announces Best-Ever Third Quarter And September Sales

October 3, 2005 - Torrance, CA. - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported best-ever September sales of 178,417 vehicles, an increase of 10.3 percent over last September, and best-ever third quarter sales of 600,196. Calendar-year-to-date (CYTD) sales total 1,714,266, up 11.3 percent over the same period last year.

"The market is better than the industry results reflect. This month's declines are partly the aftereffect of the robust incentive-driven summer sales and low inventories," said Jim Press, TMS president and COO. "Toyota's record sales reflect increased interest in fuel-efficient vehicles and hybrids."

The Toyota Division posted best-ever September sales of 156,381, up 10.4 percent. The Lexus Division reported best-ever September sales with 22,036 units sold, an increase of 9.2 percent.

Toyota Division passenger cars recorded best-ever September sales of 96,780, up 22.9 percent over the same period last year. The Avalon full-size sedan recorded September sales of 8,707, up 270.8 percent. The Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan enjoyed best-ever September sales of 8,193, an increase of 90.1 percent. Corolla sales rose 12.2 percent with 29,446 units sold, while Camry sales were at 36,842 units, up 6.4 percent.

Toyota Division light truck sales totaled 59,601 units for the month. Light truck sales were led by the Tacoma pickup truck with sales of 14,632, up 21.5 percent over the same period last year. Sienna van sales rose 7.5 percent for a best-ever September, with 12,579 units sold, while RAV4 compact SUV sales were at 5,743, up 1.5 percent. The Highlander Hybrid gas-electric mid-size SUV, which launched in early June, reported sales of 2,715 units in September. The Highlander and Highlander Hybrid posted combined September sales of 9,684 units.

Scion reported best-ever September sales with 13,495 units sold. The tC sports coupe, which debuted last summer, led the way with best-ever September sales of 6,236 units, an increase of 47.0 percent over last September. The xA recorded best-ever September sales of 2,800 units for the month, up 28.3 percent, while xB sales rose 12.8 percent with a total of 4,459 units for a best-ever September.
    More: http://www.toyota.com/about/news/cor...3-1-sales.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Re: Toyota Announces Best-Ever Third Quarter And September Sales

Who is buying this stuff?!? Over 35,000 Americans decided to plunk cash down on a Camry last month! How do you stop that? People love their Toyotas. And this is a relatively stale version... with a new one on the way. Scary.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488
    Who is buying this stuff?!? Over 35,000 Americans decided to plunk cash down on a Camry last month! How do you stop that? People love their Toyotas. And this is a relatively stale version... with a new one on the way. Scary.
    35000 camry's, who in god's name is wasting thier money on those things

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool_zx3
    35000 camry's, who in god's name is wasting thier money on those things
    It's actually closer to 37,000. For real.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I'd say they're not wasting it. I don't like the Camry, but they obviously do. Almost 37,000 buyers a month can't all be wrong. Not happy about this... but the Camry is no question what Americans want in a sedan, plain and simple.

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

I've seen a 2006 Accord already, too. I doubt that person tried out an Impala, G6, or Fusion before making his purchase.

The Camry is the number one seller based on brainlessness. "My friend has one," "My last one was OK," etc.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Well, I've had luck with GM so I never try anything else. Brainlessness would be having a dud Honda and buying another one because you 'thought' they were good cars. Toyota and Honda (and all the other imports) certainly do have problems from time to time, and aren't categorically better looking or better designed, but clearly these factors aren't enough to scare consumers away.

I don't think someone who buys an import is necessarily unpatriotic. However, for the health of the domestic economy, I'd rather see Americans and Canadians at least CONSIDER a domestic (nameplate) vehicle... try it out, price it out, and compare to their favoured import before making the decision. At least then you can say you bought what you thought was best, and also gave the home team another look. A healthy US auto industry is too important not to at least consider the effect buying imports has.

Hidden Content

Thanks

I didn't mean brainless as an insult, I meant it in a 'the average Camry/Corolla buyer doesn't test drive any other vehicles' sort of way. It's a robotic action.

Personally, I think it is 100% unpatriotic to buy a vehicle from an import without test driving the best of the domestic competition. I think that if every potential Camry buyer first drove a Fusion, G6, Malibu, and Impala, Camry sales would drop by a solid chunk. Add in Accord and Altima test drives and the midsize sedan segment wouldn't be so top-heavy.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Re: Toyota Announces Best-Ever Third Quarter And September Sales, Up 10%

GM down what, 24%?

This is bad, folks. This is a free fall for GM and Ford, and Toyohonzadai are eagerly chomping away on that market share. This kind of loss of sales and market share can't continue without massive job cuts and a downward spiral of doom for GM, with Fujio laughing all the way to the Bank of Japan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488

This is all GM and Ford and Chryslers problem. They built CRAP for years and years and didnt care when their loyal customers complained. They all did it.

Hey, Chrysler, Ford, and GM might very well be building better cars (maybe even better than the foreign companies now), but its hard to erase the ***** that they made for all of those years from the consumers minds.

I hate to sound cliche, but you reap what you sow.

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lytmup
    This is all GM and Ford and Chryslers problem. They built CRAP for years and years and didnt care when their loyal customers complained. They all did it.

Hey, Chrysler, Ford, and GM might very well be building better cars (maybe even better than the foreign companies now), but its hard to erase the ***** that they made for all of those years from the consumers minds.

I hate to sound cliche, but you reap what you sow.
    Great post. I feel the same way.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Don't forget Toyota's image as "fuel efficient". Even though the Malibu V6 gets better milage than the V6 Toyota or Accord, people automatically think its time to buy a Toyota or Honda when gas pass $3 a gallon, not Chevy or Ford. Agreed the mistakes of the past haunt the big three still....

Thanks

Toyota Division passenger cars recorded best-ever September sales of 96,780, up 22.9 percent over the same period last year. The Avalon full-size sedan recorded September sales of 8,707, up 270.8 percent. The Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan enjoyed best-ever September sales of 8,193, an increase of 90.1 percent. Corolla sales rose 12.2 percent with 29,446 units sold, while Camry sales were at 36,842 units, up 6.4 percent.

Toyota Division light truck sales totaled 59,601 units for the month. Light truck sales were led by the Tacoma pickup truck with sales of 14,632, up 21.5 percent over the same period last year. Sienna van sales rose 7.5 percent for a best-ever September, with 12,579 units sold, while RAV4 compact SUV sales were at 5,743, up 1.5 percent. The Highlander Hybrid gas-electric mid-size SUV, which launched in early June, reported sales of 2,715 units in September. The Highlander and Highlander Hybrid posted combined September sales of 9,684 units.
    Hey, GMIers...you want to say that GM is better than Toyota. Look at GM and see the 24% decreases and decreases way down the board. Look at Toyota. All I'm seeing is increases. Do you see the problem I've been talking about now?

Light truck sales were led by the Tacoma pickup truck with sales of 14,632, up 21.5 percent over the same period last year.
    Colorado sales showed a 40% drop and Canyon sales showed a 25% drop.

The Highlander Hybrid gas-electric mid-size SUV, which launched in early June, reported sales of 2,715 units in September.
    Wow-za! That's a lot....3,000 especially for a hybrid over $35,000!!!!! Consider this: Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive might be outdated...old...and not revolutionary but do consider that Toyota hybrids still get 20+ mpg...and people still buy them. Can anyone say Where exactly are you, GM

The Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan enjoyed best-ever September sales of 8,193, an increase of 90.1 percent. Corolla sales rose 12.2 percent with 29,446 units sold, while Camry sales were at 36,842 units, up 6.4 percent.
    Here's a little math GMIers
    Toyota Retention+Toyota quality Reports+Toyota MPG+Toyota Low Maintenance Costs=Good Sales and GM in the Toilet!
    Last edited by gmwsag; 10-03-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmwsag
    Hey, GMIers...you want to say that GM is better than Toyota. Look at GM and see the 24% decreases and decreases way down the board. Look at Toyota. All I'm seeing is increases. Do you see the problem I've been talking about now?
    Sales don't necessarily equate to 'betterness'. The Rendezvous outsells the RX330.

Nothing else that you edited into your post is really anything new.
    Last edited by AdmiralViscen; 10-03-2005 at 04:46 PM.
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MOOSTOPHA's Avatar
    Thanks

gmwsag wrote: "Hey, GMIers...you want to say that GM is better than Toyota. Look at GM and see the 24% decreases and decreases way down the board. Look at Toyota. All I'm seeing is increases. Do you see the problem I've been talking about now?"

i know exactly where you are coming from. i run a chevy store. it scares me to death!!!!

moose
    moostopha Hidden Content

Back selling Chevrolets where I belong!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information