Thought about Hybrids and of course the Prius

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought about Hybrids and of course the Prius

Thanks

Thought about Hybrids and of course the Prius

i can soon see people making different choices when it comes time for their next vehicle purchase. With $3 gas so close, people are already ditching their suv, for smaller cars and hybrids.

with the prius getting about 50mpg, it yields 3x better effiency than suv and about 2x vs. a standard sedan.

imagine if we all drove cars that got 50mpg? we'd cut oil consumption by half overnight!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Thought about Hybrids and of course the Prius

Thanks for the advice! You're clearly a genius.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaguaraja
    i can soon see people making different choices when it comes time for their next vehicle purchase. With $3 gas so close, people are already ditching their suv, for smaller cars and hybrids.

with the prius getting about 50mpg, it yields 3x better effiency than suv and about 2x vs. a standard sedan.

imagine if we all drove cars that got 50mpg? we'd cut oil consumption by half overnight!
    Not quite, you would put a dent in consumption but wouldn't come near cutting it in half. Cars, Trucks, SUV's, etc do use a decent amount of gas every year, but there are big rig trucks that run everywhere, farm and construction equipment, power plants that burn oil and gas and natural gas and coal. Jet fuel, gas for ships (a big cruise ship gets about 6 inches or a foot to a gallon of diesel.)

Our cars are not the biggest users of crude oil distillates in this country.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

if you're worried about gas, save the money and buy a 4-cylinder car, you'll still get good gas mileage and pay a lot less than a hybrid. Hybrids aren't still perfected yet, i've heard about issues with the Prius, plus the high cost won't make up for the money you might save on gas. Hybrids also have shown to get almost 20 MPG worse than what EPA says, therefore, they get about the same mileage and performance (maybe) while costing more money.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    if you're worried about gas, save the money and buy a 4-cylinder car, you'll still get good gas mileage and pay a lot less than a hybrid. Hybrids aren't still perfected yet, i've heard about issues with the Prius, plus the high cost won't make up for the money you might save on gas. Hybrids also have shown to get almost 20 MPG worse than what EPA says, therefore, they get about the same mileage and performance (maybe) while costing more money.
    similar equipped camry is about the same price as a prius
    prius has a tax deduction that could make it less expensive then purchasing a camry
    to find out what prius owners average goto priuschat.com, a couple of owners got better than EPA

Thanks

I'd much rather take a Cobalt over a Prius! These cars are over-hyped and the media needs to think about what other have done with hybrids and fuel economy. For example, GM already has a hybrd-powered bus and the 900's are supposed to offer a "strong" hybrid package. Give me a break!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xioix
    similar equipped camry is about the same price as a prius
    prius has a tax deduction that could make it less expensive then purchasing a camry
    to find out what prius owners average goto priuschat.com, a couple of owners got better than EPA
    The Camry is considerably larger than the Prius. You're paying Camry prices for Corolla size. The Corolla is actually 3 inches longer than the Prius, if memory serves.

BTW, someone on this site who recently bought a Cobalt is getting 38mpg before the car is even broken in.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

i already own a prius and am loving it. i get about 50 mpg, less in the winter, more in the summer.

it's hard to compare this car to a regular sedan. This car has a voice navigation system, bluetooth handsfree cell system, bluetooth keyless entry (no key needed to open door!), and a huge color touch lcd screen with tons of driver information data. six disc changer is also voice enabled, airbags all over the place, vehicle stability control. no key needed for ignition (just a big power button). not to mention a gas/electric drivetrain. totally geek chic.

i also got the $2000 tax deduction. people who purchase in 2006 will do even better and get a $3400 tax credit!

i got free lifetime oil changes, brake pad are used far less due to regenerative braking.

stealth mode is too f'ing cool. under 40mph and the gas engine is off and the car is totally silent....freaky. only electricity is used from the battery and there are 0 emissions from the tailpipe. i totally scared the crap out of a lady who was crossing the parking lot who never heard me coming. the car is actually a monster off the line with nearly 300lbft of torque from 0rpm (courtesy of el electro motor!). spritely is the best word i could come up with.

gm needs to get something on the lot quick!

Thanks

i already own a prius and am loving it. i get about 50 mpg, less in the winter, more in the summer.

it's hard to compare this car to a regular sedan. This car has a voice navigation system, bluetooth handsfree cell system, bluetooth keyless entry (no key needed to open door!), and a huge color touch lcd screen with tons of driver information data. six disc changer is also voice enabled, airbags all over the place, vehicle stability control. no key needed for ignition (just a big power button). not to mention a gas/electric drivetrain. totally geek chic.

i also got the $2000 tax deduction. people who purchase in 2006 will do even better and get a $3400 tax credit!

i got free lifetime oil changes, brake pad are used far less due to regenerative braking.

stealth mode is too f'ing cool. under 40mph and the gas engine is off and the car is totally silent....freaky. only electricity is used from the battery and there are 0 emissions from the tailpipe. i totally scared the crap out of a lady who was crossing the parking lot who never heard me coming. the car is actually a monster off the line with nearly 300lbft of torque from 0rpm (courtesy of el electro motor!). spritely is the best word i could come up with.

gm needs to get something on the lot quick!
    Go to a Toyota fansite. I'd tend to doubt that you're even a real Toyota customer. As a movie buff, I see studio plants in talkbacks at AICN and JoBlo all the time. Judging by your posts, and the fact that you came to the competition's website, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you have a similar career.

If you actually cared to do some research, you'd know that GM has several hybrid systems on the way. One is already in its trucks, another is being introduced in the VUE next year, and another is being developed with Chrysler.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen
    Go to a Toyota fansite. I'd tend to doubt that you're even a real Toyota customer. As a movie buff, I see studio plants in talkbacks at AICN and JoBlo all the time. Judging by your posts, and the fact that you came to the competition's website, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you have a similar career.

If you actually cared to do some research, you'd know that GM has several hybrid systems on the way. One is already in its trucks, another is being introduced in the VUE next year, and another is being developed with Chrysler.
    believe what you want baby, I'm the one cruising without a care as gas hits 3bucks. i've owned gm before as well. great cars...just not as good as this one.

i do know about gm's future hybrids. do some research of your own...in the computer world, it's called Vaporware. toyo and honda have their money where their mouth is. gm is all talk about how hybrids suck..etc, but now they're behind and crying. prius is in its second generation, while gm has nothing to show. oh well, we'll see it when we see it....sometime in late 2007!

Thanks

This is the GENERAL CAR DISCUSSION area. He is free to post as he did so get off his sack. Some of you guys take this WAY too seriously!

He gave an accurate view of the Prius and suggested that GM get in the game ASAP! So whats the problem? The guy is right on all counts.

GM's fancy alternator and Silverado half step are not enough! Toyota will be 3 generations deep into this technology before GM finally has a FULL hybrid on the market. Honda as well will be 3 gens ahead. That lack of vision is why GM has stumbled in the marketplace.

GM shows great promise with their FC concepts, but they've got to address the current market or the Japanese will inherit leadership in the market for fuel cells as it is a evolution of the hybrid market.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

believe what you want baby, I'm the one cruising without a care as gas hits 3bucks. i've owned gm before as well. great cars...just not as good as this one.

i do know about gm's future hybrids. do some research of your own...in the computer world, it's called Vaporware. toyo and honda have their money where their mouth is. gm is all talk about how hybrids suck..etc, but now they're behind and crying. prius is in its second generation, while gm has nothing to show. oh well, we'll see it when we see it....sometime in late 2007!
    Have fun cruising in a Toyta Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whirling_Dervish
    This is the GENERAL CAR DISCUSSION area. He is free to post as he did so get off his sack. Some of you guys take this WAY too seriously!

He gave an accurate view of the Prius and suggested that GM get in the game ASAP! So whats the problem? The guy is right on all counts.

GM's fancy alternator and Silverado half step are not enough! Toyota will be 3 generations deep into this technology before GM finally has a FULL hybrid on the market. Honda as well will be 3 gens ahead. That lack of vision is why GM has stumbled in the marketplace.

GM shows great promise with their FC concepts, but they've got to address the current market or the Japanese will inherit leadership in the market for fuel cells as it is a evolution of the hybrid market.
    thank you dervish. and quite right! a fuel cell hybrid is a natural evolution from a gasoline hybrid. the electric component adds both performance and efficiency to any vehicle. toyota actually has a working prototype of a fuel cell hybrid vehicle that was reviewed by cnet. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10895_7...-2.html?tag=ss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 460ford
    Have fun cruising in a Toyta Prius!
    what are you driving...not some lame suv driven mostly by soccer moms?

suv - aka. the sfv(sport futility vehicle)

simspons quote: "don't worry about the suv's! there's a gentle curve ahead"

cruising baby

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

what are you driving...not some lame suv driven mostly by soccer moms?

suv - aka. the sfv(sport futility vehicle)

simspons quote: "don't worry about the suv's! there's a gentle curve ahead"

cruising baby
    I don't remember the Bronco being a soccer mom mobile. Gm had the Ev1 electric car like 15 years ago also that got 60 MPG in equivelent to gasoline.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information