Is the third generation Genesis Sedan going to shrink?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the third generation Genesis Sedan going to shrink?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Is the third generation Genesis Sedan going to shrink?

Is the third generation Hyundai Genesis going to get smaller? I'm putting my money on "yes". Why? Because I am 100% convinced that "Genesis" will become a brand within a generation or two. Either a brand or a sub brand. And a premium luxury brand needs a full-size flagship - and that's NOT the Genesis Sedan. It's the Equus. In my opinion either the Genesis is going to shrink or the Equus is going away - and I have a very difficult time believing the Equus is going anywhere.

As it stands the Genesis is a very large midsize car that gets compared to the Chrysler 300 (full size) - and NEVER the Chrysler 200 (midsize). If you look closely at specifications, the Genesis and Equus are about the same size. It makes little sense having two cars that serve the same purpose. Yes, the Equus does ride of a softer suspension - but that's about the only difference. Technology-wise, the Genesis isn't missing anything. Not all cars in a lineup are supposed to share to same technology as the top dog - which is generally the showcase for the brand's most impressive capabilities.

How is Hyundai going to separate these two vehicles? My bet is the third generation Genesis will lose a small amount of girth in width and length. Not enough to be ALL THAT noticeable to first and second generation owners who are looking to upgrade - but enough to make the Equus stand out as the fullsize car (which will also have a long wheel base (LWB) option).

"Genesis" is going to do pretty much what every luxury brand does. Read more...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 3,393 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Is the third generation Genesis Sedan going to shrink?

Its already a sub brand..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

ocmdog (05-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

I like the new Genesis, but I like it like the Q50. It's nice, but there are cars I'd rather own for the same or less money that I can put my paws on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (05-16-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,842 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    A two-model sub-brand.

It seems a lifetime since Hyundai/Kia started looking at repositioning those two brands to reduce inter-brand competition and introducing a luxury brand but they don't seem any further forward. I know their plan stalled when they realised that the Toyota-Lexus business model isn't effective globally, although it is in North America but there's not even any clues which way Hyundai and Kia are going to separate.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

The Genesis sedan is the foundation of Hyundai's luxury intentions (for lack of a better word ). I wouldn't compromise that in favor of the lower-volume Equus. Why can't the Equus grow in size or just go further upmarket?

Isn't Hyundai working on a purpose-built 3-Series fighter? The Genesis musn't shrink too much, if at all, if that's the case.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 AndreaCristiano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

The genesis is a very very nice car makes cars that are 10-15k more shake in their boots

John 25:11
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; JOHN 11 25

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

I think the Genesis brand will finally branch off with the release of the next Equus. Hyundai would be wise in continuing to offer more for less: sell a C competitor for the price of CLA, Genesis for price of C, Equus for price of E, etc. They could be the RWD Lincoln competitor. They'll never be a MB/BMW competitor, though, IMO.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Only in some people's minds. It's certainly not officially a sub brand. The cars you see rolling around with Genesis exterior badges had them installed by the dealership. They ship with Hyundai badges from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by ocmdog View Post
    The Genesis sedan is the foundation of Hyundai's luxury intentions (for lack of a better word ). I wouldn't compromise that in favor of the lower-volume Equus. Why can't the Equus grow in size or just go further upmarket?

Isn't Hyundai working on a purpose-built 3-Series fighter? The Genesis musn't shrink too much, if at all, if that's the case.
    The Genesis Sedan is the same size as the Equus. They basically have two fullsize cars in their lineup. A 3-Series sized Genesis Sedan would be MUCH smaller than the current Genesis Sedan. So making the current sedan smaller would not interfere with the smaller car - the same way that the 5-Series doesn't interfere with the 3-Series, size-wise...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewStandard View Post
    I think the Genesis brand will finally branch off with the release of the next Equus. Hyundai would be wise in continuing to offer more for less: sell a C competitor for the price of CLA, Genesis for price of C, Equus for price of E, etc. They could be the RWD Lincoln competitor. They'll never be a MB/BMW competitor, though, IMO.
    When "Genesis" becomes a sub brand it has the potential to compete with Mercedes and BMW the same way Lexus does...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Only in some people's minds. It's certainly not officially a sub brand. The cars you see rolling around with Genesis exterior badges had them installed by the dealership. They ship with Hyundai badges from the factory.

The Genesis Sedan is the same size as the Equus. They basically have two fullsize cars in their lineup. A 3-Series sized Genesis Sedan would be MUCH smaller than the current Genesis Sedan. So making the current sedan smaller would not interfere with the smaller car - the same way that the 5-Series doesn't interfere with the 3-Series, size-wise...
    The new Genesis has a Hyundai badge on the trunk, but only Genesis badges everywhere else.

Size-wise, Genesis and Equus are only an inch removed in wheelbase (118 vs 119) but 7" different in total length (196 vs 203). In comparison, the CTS and CT6 are only separated by 9" (195 vs 204). Best guess is that the next Equus will gain a few inches in wheelbase and overall length to separate the two more.

I respect Hyundai, but I think the reason the are so succesful now is their value. The Equus struggles to sell 200 units/mo. as is. Bumping it to $70K base price will kill it completely unless the create a dealership network that justifies the money. We'll see how it turns out.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Hyundai is clearly thinking veeeery long term with their luxury models. Instead of building and pricing a car smack dab in the middle of the nearly impenetrable luxury marketplace, they are trying to sneak their way in through the back door by offering the same experience at a lower price of entry. Build a reputation slowly, consistently, and move it ever upwards. I like their tactic and have a lot of faith that it will work in the long run.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Hyundai is clearly thinking veeeery long term with their luxury models. Instead of building and pricing a car smack dab in the middle of the nearly impenetrable luxury marketplace, they are trying to sneak their way in through the back door by offering the same experience at a lower price of entry. Build a reputation slowly, consistently, and move it ever upwards. I like their tactic and have a lot of faith that it will work in the long run.
    It's certainly worked so far moving it's other models from budget to mainstream.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

ocmdog (05-15-2015),paul8488 (05-15-2015),TheNewStandard (05-15-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewStandard View Post
    The new Genesis has a Hyundai badge on the trunk, but only Genesis badges everywhere else.

Size-wise, Genesis and Equus are only an inch removed in wheelbase (118 vs 119) but 7" different in total length (196 vs 203). In comparison, the CTS and CT6 are only separated by 9" (195 vs 204). Best guess is that the next Equus will gain a few inches in wheelbase and overall length to separate the two more.
    My point about the badge was that "Genesis" is not a sub brand yet...

The problem with the size of the Genesis vs Equus is they're the same width (a fullsize and midsize shouldn't be the same width) and interior room is almost the same other than 1 inch more shoulder room in the back seat of the Equus and almost 4 inches more legroom. Otherwise, it's like being in the same car. This happened with the CTS and STS and it didn't work.

I kinda stopped caring too much about exterior dimensions after Cadillac extended the nose of the Fleetwood by like 6 inches (basically pushed the grille out further) just to be longer than the Town Car. So interior volume means more to me than exterior - but that's just a personal thing...

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    So interior volume means more to me than exterior - but that's just a personal thing...
    Not just you - the US EPA introduced size classification based on interior volume to replace the post-WW2 basis of overall size - seems some on GMI are firmly entrenched in the last century.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Imagine if Hyundai figures it out before Cadillac. That will be embarrassing.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Not just you - the US EPA introduced size classification based on interior volume to replace the post-WW2 basis of overall size - seems some on GMI are firmly entrenched in the last century.
    That's good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Imagine if Hyundai figures it out before Cadillac. That will be embarrassing.
    They already have... The Genesis is a midsize sedan with fullsize interior proportions...

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information