Test drove a Kia Forte EX

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Test drove a Kia Forte EX

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 784 Posts

Test drove a Kia Forte EX

Test drove a Kia Forte EX today.
    Yeah, it looks great (it really does) but it rides like a slightly stiffer Corolla. Reviewers seem to get dazzled by the way Hyundai's and Kia's look, but have they really changed what's underneath? Doesn't seem it to me.
    The car tended to sway a little side to side on the freeway just like my Cobalt, pick-up with this larger engine was smoother than the Cruze but didn't feel particularly fast. The seat wasn't any better, although it was wider.
    Surprisingly the car didn't corner well at all, less lean in than my Cobalt of course but still no handler.
    It was fairly quiet and had a lot of features but the touchscreen was annoying (although better than Chevy's since it has a power and volume knob-but no station preset buttons)
    What did impress me was the build quality. The rubber seals and gaskets and headlight surrounds and items like that looked ten times better than any Chevy does. GM really needs to fix that, it makes a huge impression.

So, my next drive will be the 2013 Mazda 3.
    So far I would rank my test drives:
    1. Subaru Impreza (loud and a CVT-yuck)
    2. Chevy Cruze (idle neutral and poor powertrain smoothness a deal killer, best suspension of any compact, IMO)
    3. Ford Focus (Cramped interior, hideous dashboard and balky transmission deal killers
    4. Kia Forte-No deal killers but not that impressive
    5. Honda Civic-Horrible seats and hideous dash deal killers
    6. Chevy Sonic-Really jerky power train, jumped coming to a stop, no arm rest/console-deal killers)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Test drove a Kia Forte EX

Saw a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback up close today, it's a really nice looking little car, quite upscale. I wouldn't even look at the existing 2013 model if you're shopping in the segment.

Thanks

I can get the 2013 Sort for a little over $16,000
    Plus, the 2014 is a tad overstyled for my taste, at least in comparison to the 2013

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Saw a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback up close today, it's a really nice looking little car, quite upscale. I wouldn't even look at the existing 2013 model if you're shopping in the segment.
    '13 is an excellent driving car with lots of space and good fuel economy. It comes with two grand off the top at the moment.

I'd consider one strongly.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks

It seems like a great deal. My local dealer has 70 of them in stock

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    '13 is an excellent driving car with lots of space and good fuel economy. It comes with two grand off the top at the moment.

I'd consider one strongly.
    I can't stand the face.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 4,401 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

KIAz all suxxzzzz!!!!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

I ended up buying a 2013 Mazda 3 Sport Automatic for $16,000. Got $4,000 for my '06 Cobalt.
    Couldn't pass up the deal and with strong resale value it should be worth something in 2 years when the next Cruze comes out. Still have $3500 GM card points and will use the card heavily so they don't go away.

Impression of the Mazda:
    Corners and handles great.
    Great steering.
    Pick-up is OK but not especially responsive
    Seats are pretty comfortable even without lumbar support (I guess most car makes are not putting this comfort feature in their cars anymore, which I think is sad.
    Good visibility and controls are intuitive and easy to reach.
    Good fit and finish.

The bad:
    Ride is rough (knew this going in, my Balt wasn't exactly smooth)
    A little vibration at idle.
    Not nearly as quiet as the Cruze, even my Balt had more insulation from outside noise.
    New car smell-this is a personal issue as I have MCS and react to chemical smells. Leather seats would probably have been a good idea-I guess I can get catskinz if necessary for $1600.
    Brakes kind of spongy. Not sure if that's the way they are normally.

No compact if perfect and I know that. I have no problem trading it in on the next Cruze, which I like for it's smoother ride, quiet interior and the fact that it's American. Slap a better engine in there, get rid of neutral idle, don't make it bigger and I'll probably get one.

Thanks
    My Ride

Congrats on your new wheels, Steve. Is that a sedan or hatch? Good price for a good car, spoze to run 40 or more MPG on the road.

If you have a garage, you might want to do what I did with my 200: Open all the windows and run a fan the whole time it's parked inside. The 200 had bad bad fumes, they gave me a base-of-skull headache that no OTC drug would even touch.

Some guys at the 200/Avenger sites said they got the upholstery replaced with leather under warranty. Wish I'd have thought of that.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    I ended up buying a 2013 Mazda 3 Sport Automatic for $16,000. Got $4,000 for my '06 Cobalt.
    Couldn't pass up the deal and with strong resale value it should be worth something in 2 years when the next Cruze comes out. Still have $3500 GM card points and will use the card heavily so they don't go away.

Impression of the Mazda:
    Corners and handles great.
    Great steering.
    Pick-up is OK but not especially responsive
    Seats are pretty comfortable even without lumbar support (I guess most car makes are not putting this comfort feature in their cars anymore, which I think is sad.
    Good visibility and controls are intuitive and easy to reach.
    Good fit and finish.

The bad:
    Ride is rough (knew this going in, my Balt wasn't exactly smooth)
    A little vibration at idle.
    Not nearly as quiet as the Cruze, even my Balt had more insulation from outside noise.
    New car smell-this is a personal issue as I have MCS and react to chemical smells. Leather seats would probably have been a good idea-I guess I can get catskinz if necessary for $1600.
    Brakes kind of spongy. Not sure if that's the way they are normally.

No compact if perfect and I know that. I have no problem trading it in on the next Cruze, which I like for it's smoother ride, quiet interior and the fact that it's American. Slap a better engine in there, get rid of neutral idle, don't make it bigger and I'll probably get one.

Now that we have that out of the way, congratulations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Congrats on your new wheels, Steve. Is that a sedan or hatch? Good price for a good car, spoze to run 40 or more MPG on the road.

If you have a garage, you might want to do what I did with my 200: Open all the windows and run a fan the whole time it's parked inside. The 200 had bad bad fumes, they gave me a base-of-skull headache that no OTC drug would even touch.

Some guys at the 200/Avenger sites said they got the upholstery replaced with leather under warranty. Wish I'd have thought of that.
    Thank you. I had been planning on getting Catskinz installed but completely forgot about it during the time I was there. It would have cost $1600. I guess I can do it later on if the smell doesn't go away.
    My garage is too small to comfortably fit the car inside plus it's infested with spiders. I'm going to try and air it out as much as I can after lunch and also leave the windows cracked open in the garage at work.
    I really wish they had it in stock when I bought it-I would have asked them to air it out for me.
    It's not as bad as the VW Golf though. I couldn't buy it because of the stench

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post

Thanks! I am a luddite, I don't have a digital camera, as pathetic as that is. No smartphone either, just a cheapo flip phone with an awful camera

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post

Here ya go!

2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks

That's the hatch, and it looks like the 2014 model

By the way I sat inside the 2014 and it felt like a luxury car, the interior is that nice. The pop up screen is a tad odd but what a nice car.
    Would cost $5,000 more than the one I bought and that wasn't happening

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    That's the hatch, and it looks like the 2014 model

By the way I sat inside the 2014 and it felt like a luxury car, the interior is that nice. The pop up screen is a tad odd but what a nice car.
    Would cost $5,000 more than the one I bought and that wasn't happening
    Here are some comps:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...erivedpriceASC
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Would much rather have the Kia cee'd/pro_cee'd than the Forte.

That would be the only one I would consider in this segment aside from the new 3 (that is until the next gen Cruze arrives).

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information