Sporty Kia On The Way

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Sporty Kia On The Way

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Sporty Kia On The Way

Sporty Kia On The Way

Jaedene Hudson 26/08/05

Kia has confirmed this week it is designing and developing a sports car. It will be based on the Kia Concept Vehicle III (KCV-III)

The KCV-III is a small convertible sports coupe and could be in production as soon as 2007.
    It is powered by a four-cylinder 2.0-litre engine that produces 108kW at 6000rpm and 190Nm of torque. It's just one of many new products coming from Kia.

A hot, all-wheel-drive, turbo-charged Rio model will go into production. The earliest it is expected would be late next year.

Power comes from a new 2.0-litre, 150kW turbocharged engine with a new five-speed automatic transmission. The five-door version of the Cerato sedan is still on the company's wish list but it would not arrive until the middle of next year.

An all-new Optima family sedan will debut at the Frankfurt motor show next month.

The new car will be similar in range to the current line-up with power from a V6 petrol engine and an automatic transmission. The car is expected to hit our shores in the middle of next year.

An all-new Carnival is also expected in the middle of next year in both long and short wheelbases.

It will come in both seven and 11-seat configurations.

The Sportage is expected to gain both a 2.0-litre engine and possibly a diesel, if demand calls for it, while a facelifted Sorento is also due next year with a longer wheelbase. It will have the option of seven seats.

A hybrid-powered Sportage will be made in late 2006.

(www.carsguide.com.au)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sporty Kia On The Way

A turboed 2.0 Rio? That would be fast subcompact...you sure theyre not refering to the Elantra that actually comes with a 2.0? The Rio only has the 1.6.....

Or I guess since the Rio is the sister car to the Hyundai accent, they are just giving it a touch/hint of the next WRC accent........Hyundai will probably get one as well then

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 gm_scott's Avatar
    Thanks

wow, what a great looking concept, and those nice pretty rims look just as good

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gm_scott
    wow, what a great looking concept, and those nice pretty rims look just as good
    I disagree, I think its probably one of the worst concept cars I've ever seen. For Kia's sake, I hope they don't make it look like that.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it could look pretty nice if the doors didn't come up as high and the front end was reworked a bit. This should be a great car for KIA.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I think that concept looks great. Like a little Bugatti. It's nice that companies like Kia are willing to go out on a limb... we know Toyota and Honda aren't. And wouldn't it be a laugh if you could get a 5-speed automatic transmission in a Kia Rio before you could in a Buick! Yikes!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Sporty KIA heh??? Yeah right...probably is going to be powered by a lawmower engine...

A Turbocharged KIA Rio? Ummm...my dad, always told me that you cannot polish a turd, therefore no matter what engine, is under the bonnet, a crappy car, such as the KIA Rio, still is a crappy car... :p

BTW: That's a Fugly concept car.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    Sporty KIA heh??? Yeah right...probably is going to be powered by a lawmower engine...

A Turbocharged KIA Rio? Ummm...my dad, always told me that you cannot polish a turd, therefore no matter what engine, is under the bonnet, a crappy car, such as the KIA Rio, still is a crappy car... :p
    Your dad sounds like a GM, Ford, or Chrysler exec from the 70's, speaking about Toyota and Honda. It's attitudes like that that help these small, intelligent manufacturers sneak up and surpass the big boys. Hyundai 2005 isn't Hyundai 1985. If Toyota ever slips up Hyundai (and Kia) will be there to take their place as GM's biggest global threat. If you wanna go buy a 2+2 RWD sports coupe in 2007, your odds will be better with Hyundai than with Chevy, by the sounds of it. It's sad but likely.

Some of the current Kias are nothing special, but a turbocharged AWD sounds just fine to me. Kia is a whole lot smarter than you give them credit for. GM doesn't have an affordable turbocharged AWD. Neither do Ford or Chrysler. So while you laugh them off, they're going to be gaining ground in a segment where the domestics don't even have a foothold.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 gm_scott's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nyscene911
    I disagree, I think its probably one of the worst concept cars I've ever seen. For Kia's sake, I hope they don't make it look like that.
    ahh, i probably should of made myself more clear, I think its horrible

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information