At the Ring: 2017 Genesis G80

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At the Ring: 2017 Genesis G80

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

At the Ring: 2017 Genesis G80

The primary debut product for Genesis is the G90, replacement for the Equus. However, more volume is likely to come from the G80, which is currently called the Genesis (sedan). For 2017, the Genesis seems to be receiving an update, although what exactly that encompasses is pure speculation. The talked-about 3.3L twin-turbo might make its way there, and it wouldn't be surprising at all to see the American-spec car receive more of the features that current Genesis models offer outside of the US, such as soft-close doors, more rear seat features, etc. Although one can expect it to continue being a solid product, it'll face incredibly stiff competition in the mid-luxury realm, such as the Volvo S90 that was just recently seen. At present the Genesis seems to sell just fine, but what kind of price increase might be seen with the G80 update? And would that hold back sales? All a matter of conjecture right now, but if they increase the price even moderately they'll need to ensure it has a marked improvement in features, interior, and so forth.

This is not a negative at all, but I would discourage thinking that an appearance on the Ring means they're going considerably sportier than before. The current Genesis was also tested on the Ring:

Last edited by Amphibian; 12-02-2015 at 09:49 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amphibian For This Useful Post:

Butz (12-02-2015),mbukukanyau (12-02-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Re: At the Ring: 2017 Genesis G80

That thing is not happy at all...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (12-03-2015),mbukukanyau (12-02-2015),sfbreh (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

I wonder how Hyundai will price it. I wonder how well it will match to existing segment leaders.

Lexus had it for a while then somehow lost it. I wonder if Hyundai can get Gnesis right, take seriously, and keep at it.

I wonder if building a luxury car is hard, or it's just GM and Ford who can't seem to pull it off :\

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 3,410 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    This is not a negative at all, but I would discourage thinking that an appearance on the Ring means they're going considerably sportier than before. The current Genesis was also tested on the Ring:
    As in the current Genesis took a joyride at the ring, then Autoguide said it handles better than a CTS Vsport.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I can't get past the move away from great names to alphabet soup...
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul8488 For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (12-03-2015),Neanderthal (12-02-2015)

Back!
    Thanks

This is just silly. Ring testing has gotten out of control.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    I was laughing watching the first video. I could take my Accord to the Ring and it would be more composed than that trash.

Do they know that driving on the Ring does not make your car drive any better?

It's like wearing workout clothes and looking at weights. It means nothing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (12-03-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    I wonder how Hyundai will price it. I wonder how well it will match to existing segment leaders.

Lexus had it for a while then somehow lost it. I wonder if Hyundai can get Gnesis right, take seriously, and keep at it.

I wonder if building a luxury car is hard, or it's just GM and Ford who can't seem to pull it off :\
    That's one of the biggest questions for me at this point. Factoring in upgrades, they could generally move the price up while still offering a reasonable pricing/features mix. Maybe even keep that basic 3.8L at $40K just to hold the line on entry prices to keep interest while focusing on mid-level and up-level versions. Something like 40K for the 3.8L, 45K for the 3.3TT, and 55K for the V-8. Say 60K with all the options. That might be a 10,000 USD increase over today's 5.0L, but that's also including additional features, improved interior, "premium" brand, etc. Interior upgrades would be simple but effective: stitched leather dash and door tops (leatherette in lower end versions), a more elegant and better detailed wheel, nicer buttons, you get the idea. It doesn't require a massive investment on the interior. The current generation Genesis is selling at ~30,000 units annually, but it's not directly comparable to an A6 or CTS either. They're substantially more expensive products. So if the Genesis G80 moves closer to them in price will it be able to sustain comparable sales even factoring in Genesis versus Hyundai brand image? I don't know. Then again, even a relative decrease in sales might be canceled out by superior margins. And even in a scenario where that's not accurate either, it might simply be necessary for long term gain.

It's GM and Ford's fault, unfortunately. I am a Cadillac guy and drive an American car (I wish a Cadillac, but no). However, this has been an enormous failure on their parts. People may attempt to point and laugh at Hyundai or Kia brand images, but the reality when you look objectively is that they've been building more genuine luxury sedans than have Lincoln and Cadillac. Neither of those had a real answer to the Equus and only now are evidently becoming competitive in the large sedan segment. Yes, financial constraints have been problematic for the better part of a decade, but it's not like it's only been a decade that Cadillac or Lincoln have struggled. It's been decades of decisions. It's not at all a matter of ability, however. GM and Ford have some of the best engineering among automotive brands globally. It comes down to business decisions; trying to save a dollar here, catering to the wrong demographic there, generally not understanding contemporary luxury customers. We are seeing improvements in the last few years from each brand so competitors that might be ignoring them would be better off by keeping them in mind. Products like the Cadillac CTS are exactly what I mean. It proves that the ability to build an impressive product exists. They just need that consistency within the brand and the right marketing. Lexus lost some of their ambition; now it haunted them a bit because they're far behind in numerous categories. They're making a new effort so it'll take time to see what happens there.

With each new product, Hyundai Group has demonstrated ever more effectively that they can build a proper luxury vehicle. But there's a lot more to making a luxury brand successful. For one thing, they must determine what they want Genesis to be, what it's supposed to stand for as a brand. If there's no concept of that, then there's nothing much to market to consumers other than "It's another nice, expensive, high-tech automobile". That's only going to sell in mediocre numbers once the hype goes away. Acura's struggled with this for years. Being known for nothing is almost worse than being known for something stuffy, like stereotypical Cadillacs of the 1990s. So what will Genesis be? Beautiful and emotional like a premium Italian car? Old world luxury? Tech? Whatever path they choose, there's going to be plenty of competition. Redoubled efforts from Infiniti, Lincoln, Cadillac, Jaguar, Volvo, and Alfa Romeo will mean in various global regions Genesis won't be among the only serious challengers to the German success story. Furthermore, Genesis isn't even the only new luxury brand. Tesla and DS are also hoping to become successful. There's very little chance that all of these brands will be successful, so sadly only some of these will be winners.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    As in the current Genesis took a joyride at the ring, then Autoguide said it handles better than a CTS Vsport.
    Apparently Lotus did do a decent job of ensuring this Genesis handled reasonably well while remaining very comfort-focused. It's no sport sedan, but it isn't trying to be nor does it have to be. Catering to Asian and American tastes benefits them in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    I can't get past the move away from great names to alphabet soup...
    Me either. I was hoping that they'd use Latin names or something. G# is just generic, but whatever. It's not like Cadillac or Lincoln or Acura didn't try this.....

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

No thanks.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    I knew something looked off. Not every car can be a 3-Series, so I don't know why Hyundai is trying to win an unbeatable war.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    I knew something looked off. Not every car can be a 3-Series, so I don't know why Hyundai is trying to win an unbeatable war.
    Just because they're testing at the Ring doesn't mean they expect it to run with a 3 or ATS. The car has to be competent to be taken seriously, it doesn't have to be the next luxury rocket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    I am sure they're just looking at general balance. They haven't yet looked at trying to do anything like a real sport sedan. Its not like we'd see much better from a basic LS or such.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,848 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Hyundai/Kia do much of their global testing at the 'Ring - that's why they built a big R&D unit next to it.

Thanks

I have to say that I was very impress riding in a Genesis sedan. Very comfortable, ultra quiet and luxurious. I will revisit the Genesis in 2017 when my time for a new sedan is at hand!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thanks

So not much in the way of changes for the 2017 transition to "G80"? Given the testing and all, it seemed like we could expect more of an update, unless there will be a 2018 update that debuts relatively early?

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast