A redesigned Nissan Frontier is coming

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: A redesigned Nissan Frontier is coming

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 923 Posts

A redesigned Nissan Frontier is coming

Article from Autoblog. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/14/...l-new-details/ The next-gen Frontier will be more pricey however, closing the doors to those who wants the basic version.
    The next-generation Nissan Frontier is poised to arrive in 2021, and through interviews with multiple sources we’ve been able to piece together a picture of what’s in store.

Yes, Nissan has neglected its midsize pickup, and today, the company markets the Frontier as a value proposition. It’s cheaper than the Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma and Chevy Colorado. Those trucks have a whole lot more to offer in nearly every way, but they can also come in at prices encroaching on fullsize pickups. Nissan wants and should strive for more, says Stephanie Brinley, principal automotive analyst at IHS Markit.

“It needs to adapt to some of the creature comforts and some of the technology, not because the other guys have them, but because consumers are indicating that they want them,” Brinley says.

Our dealer sources (with knowledge of the product via Nissan) tell us the design is completely new, retaining next to nothing of the current Frontier. We’re told to expect an interpretation of the Warrior design seen on the new Titan. It’ll be squared-off, much more masculine and Titan-esque — the folks who described the truck to us say they’ve seen it at various closed-door Nissan events. This macho design language matches what other manufacturers (and Nissan) have aimed for with new pickups.

We’ve previously heard that Nissan will use an updated version of the current Frontier’s platform for the new truck. However, other sources have said that it’s riding on a shortened and modified Titan chassis. We can’t definitively say which one it will be at this point, but the Titan is the new kid on the block. A new powertrain is also along for the ride. Nissan still sells the Frontier with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder and 4.0-liter V6 options. The four-cylinder can even be had with a five-speed manual transmission. A five-speed automatic is optional. None of this will make it into the 2021 Frontier. Instead, we’re told to expect a new 3.8-liter naturally aspirated V6 and nine-speed automatic transmission. The 3.8-liter displacement is the same as the GT-R’s displacement, but the two won’t be anything alike if Nissan ultimately uses the purported engine in the Frontier. We’d wager a guess that the nine-speed heading toward the Frontier is a version of the transmission that was recently adopted by the Titan. One source gave us a 300-horsepower estimate. Expect superior fuel economy and more towing/hauling capability thanks to the updated chassis and powertrain. We’re told that the new V6 is even more efficient than the outgoing four-cylinder truck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: A redesigned Nissan Frontier is coming

so NOTHING to make it "stand out" BUT enough "to stay in the game" - wonder where the CUMMINS 2.8L went?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,543 Times in 4,663 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    so NOTHING to make it "stand out" BUT enough "to stay in the game" - wonder where the CUMMINS 2.8L went?
    If the goal is low cost it could be a winner. As noted in the article, the competition is not cheap....

Hopefully it looks better than the Titan.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,002 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    If the goal is low cost it could be a winner. As noted in the article, the competition is not cheap....
    Yep, trucks used to be cheap/utilitarian, not so much anymore. A current base truck is about $20k. Interested to see what direction they take with it. I kind of like the refreshed Titan that comes out in a few months.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,840 Times in 2,488 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

If it is anything like the Navara shown here: https://www.nissan-me.com/vehicles/new/navara.html it will be an improvement considering the dinosaur status of the current one.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,553 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

The Navara is rubbish

For some reason comes equipped with a hinged chassis just behind the cab , dunno what the advantages of this may be

Coil sprung rear doesnt give a better ride , is worse for towing and they still havent been able to get the load carrying/ride compromise right after about 4 revisions

The 2.3L Twin Turbo looks good on paper but is just out gunned by Colorado and Ranger Diesels

Honestly I hope you guys dont just get a Navara clone as its the worst offering on the market of the established brands
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    If it is anything like the Navara shown here: https://www.nissan-me.com/vehicles/new/navara.html it will be an improvement considering the dinosaur status of the current one.
    Speaking of which, how is that Mercedes X-Potato thing doing?.Ws it ever released for the Euros?.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,832 Times in 4,716 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

So, is there going to be a Davy Crockett Edition?

Just trying to hepp here, hepp where hepp is needed the most.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,840 Times in 2,488 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

^^^ Ha! King of the wild Frontier. Well, the Navarro does look more wild than the current mundane Frontier.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information