Rav 4 review

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: Rav 4 review

  1. #1
    Chevrolet VOLT member12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,431
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

    Rav 4 review

    http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103685

    This is why GM should have put a better engine in the Equinox.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Level I Members
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,509
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Wouldnt it be nice if Gm put their very nice 3.6 v6 from Caddies in the mid size stuff

  4. #3
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Slap the 3.9L into the Equinox, and I think its still a better product than the new Rav4. The Rav is very generic looking on the exterior, and that interior...well, looks horrid (bias aside).

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Level I Members
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,509
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    Slap the 3.9L into the Equinox, and I think its still a better product than the new Rav4. The Rav is very generic looking on the exterior, and that interior...well, looks horrid (bias aside).
    I am finally glad that you are comparing the nox to what it should be compared against.

  7. #5
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by pagemaster
    I am finally glad that you are comparing the nox to what it should be compared against.
    Are you refering to me comparing the 'Nox to the Highlander. Well, lets be honest...the last Rav4 didn't hold a candle to the Equinox. The Highlander was closer in terms of price, power, and size. That has changed with the arrival of the new Rav4.

  8. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    6,050
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    Slap the 3.9L into the Equinox, and I think its still a better product than the new Rav4. The Rav is very generic looking on the exterior, and that interior...well, looks horrid (bias aside).
    The new Rav4 is vastly superior to the Equinox. The Equinox has no 4 wheel disc-brakes, subpar reliability (even on the beloved JD Power), & the 3400. Also, styling is subjective, and I like the look of the new Rav4. The Rav4's interior is much better than the Equinox's, which has that ugly steering wheel, and cheap plastics.




  9. #7
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    The new Rav4 is vastly superior to the Equinox. The Equinox has no 4 wheel disc-brakes, subpar reliability (even on the beloved JD Power), & the 3400. Also, styling is subjective, and I like the look of the new Rav4. The Rav4's interior is much better than the Equinox's, which has that ugly steering wheel, and cheap plastics.



    Preliminary reliability results for the Equinox are not an accurate assumption of its total quality. It was an all-new model when those reliability figures came out and as with almost every new model, it had bugs that needed worked out in about the first half of the 2005 models. Most (if not all) of those bugs are now correct, so I expect quality records will rise greatly for it.

    As for the 3400, if you haven't driven it. I really don't want to hear anything about it. The Equinox is a great application for the 3400 and contrary to what you may think it is a quiet, smooth running, spunky powertrain. I like my power in my vehicles, and I have no problems with my Equinox's power output. Numbers don't always tell the story.

    I don't care if the Rav4 interior had a Chevrolet bowtie in the center of the steering wheel. That interior is UGLY. It looks like the whole bottom-half of the dash was a complete afterthought.

    The whole front face of the Equinox's dash is soft to the touch, and the the rest of the plastics look fine. Not to mention that gaps are tight as well. I've had my 'Nox for about 9 months now, and no rattles, lose parts, or crappy interior pieces.

  10. #8
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 chad4835's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    Equinox 2012 Silver

    Re: Rav 4 review

    I am surprised that Toyota did not change the name, I used to sell RAV4's and many customers felt like they were girley. The V6 will help that image, but I think a name change would have been even better. Does anyone else think the glass looks the same as the 05 with the exception of the rear quarter? Looks more like a re-skin to me.

  11. #9
    Chevrolet VOLT member12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,431
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    Are you refering to me comparing the 'Nox to the Highlander. Well, lets be honest...the last Rav4 didn't hold a candle to the Equinox. The Highlander was closer in terms of price, power, and size. That has changed with the arrival of the new Rav4.
    Yeah, the Rav four is nice. It has a good stance, and can come with a third row. It looks more expensive than 20K, too. The Equinox is more like a half size bigger than the Rav 4, but not as big or as nice as a highlander. The Equinox (and the Escape) should get bigger next time around to go head to head with the Highlander and Pilot while the new 360s take on the 4runner, Commander, and Durangos.

    I like the Equinox..The only gripes I have are the engine (3.6L would mow down the rav 4- and get those DOHC loving Honda drivers away from their CRVs), the steering wheel (put the malibu steering wheel in it), the clear lens lights (subjective), and lack of a third row.
    It is a good buy for 22K, but the new Rav 4 with the 268hp engine is going to be really tough to beat unless GM acts quick and puts in a good engine. OK, so the 3.4L is adequate...that doesn't mean anything because Toyota buyers read CR, and they hate old tech pushrod engines. GM needs to please CR, as much as I'd hate to say it.
    Last edited by member12; 12-01-2005 at 08:37 PM.

  12. #10
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    Preliminary reliability results for the Equinox are not an accurate assumption of its total quality. It was an all-new model when those reliability figures came out and as with almost every new model, it had bugs that needed worked out in about the first half of the 2005 models. Most (if not all) of those bugs are now correct, so I expect quality records will rise greatly for it.

    As for the 3400, if you haven't driven it. I really don't want to hear anything about it. The Equinox is a great application for the 3400 and contrary to what you may think it is a quiet, smooth running, spunky powertrain. I like my power in my vehicles, and I have no problems with my Equinox's power output. Numbers don't always tell the story.

    I don't care if the Rav4 interior had a Chevrolet bowtie in the center of the steering wheel. That interior is UGLY. It looks like the whole bottom-half of the dash was a complete afterthought.

    The whole front face of the Equinox's dash is soft to the touch, and the the rest of the plastics look fine. Not to mention that gaps are tight as well. I've had my 'Nox for about 9 months now, and no rattles, lose parts, or crappy interior pieces.
    The 3400 was a terrible mistake. It's an old, unreliable design in a new product. GM dropped a 170hp V6 in their new product. Toyota goes for the gold by dropping a 269hp V6 in their Rav-4 surpassing the competition. Now the Rav-4 has become the benchmark again and the Nox is way behind. The next CR-V will push it further behind as GM lets the vehicle rot.

    As for the interior of both, I feel that when I look at the Rav, it looks far more upscale compared to the Nox. As member12 pointed out,
    it looks more expensive than 20K, too.
    That's the feeling I get when I see it.
    Hidden Content

    The Recession may be over but the Greatest Depression has only just begun.

    2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430
    1988 Nissan 300ZX 5 spd
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 [Sold]
    1992 Honda Accord EX Sedan [Stolen]

    Knowledge + Action = Power that builds an experience which forms wisdom

  13. #11
    Guest
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by member12
    OK, so the 3.4L is adequate...that doesn't mean anything because Toyota buyers read CR, and they hate old tech pushrod engines. GM needs to please CR, as much as I'd hate to say it.
    I don't think that many people actually read CR before they buy cars. And even if they do, I highly doubt they treat it as the gospel. It's hard to argue that the Equinox is a much better vehicle than the new Rav4. They are both comparable, but statistically the Rv4 has the advantage. On top of that, it has the better badge.

  14. #12
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintalage
    The 3400 was a terrible mistake. It's an old, unreliable design in a new product. GM dropped a 170hp V6 in their new product. Toyota goes for the gold by dropping a 269hp V6 in their Rav-4 surpassing the competition. Now the Rav-4 has become the benchmark again and the Nox is way behind. The next CR-V will push it further behind as GM lets the vehicle rot.

    As for the interior of both, I feel that when I look at the Rav, it looks far more upscale compared to the Nox. As member12 pointed out, That's the feeling I get when I see it.
    i agree entirely.

  15. #13
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintalage
    The 3400 was a terrible mistake. It's an old, unreliable design in a new product. GM dropped a 170hp V6 in their new product. Toyota goes for the gold by dropping a 269hp V6 in their Rav-4 surpassing the competition. Now the Rav-4 has become the benchmark again and the Nox is way behind. The next CR-V will push it further behind as GM lets the vehicle rot.

    As for the interior of both, I feel that when I look at the Rav, it looks far more upscale compared to the Nox. As member12 pointed out, That's the feeling I get when I see it.
    I've gone at it with you before about the 3400. Me and several other members that drive/have driven Equinox's tried to explain it, but it went in one ear and out the other. By the way, it has 185 HP, not 170. Get your facts straight.

    I will give Toyota kudos for giving their girlie (was girlie?) SUV 269 HP. That was a shock to me, considering past Rav4 attempts.

    The Equinox is easily number 2 in the segment, behind the new Rav4. "Way behind" is a slight exaggeration from a Toyota die-hard.

    I would love to hear how the Equinox is "rotting." Maybe I should peek in my garage to make sure mine hasn't decomposed since I parked it?? Seriously, GM is paying a lot of attention to the Equinox. Just in 2006 alone they took nearly ever suggestion that 2005 owners gave them and applied them to the 2006 models. Here they are:

    *Smaller rear headrests
    *Larger cargo bay
    *Different HVAC controls
    *Stitching on the door trims
    *Smaller bowtie on the rear

    All of the above were complaints (in 2005) from owners and reviewers.

    Not to mention that the Equinox SS as well as a more powerful base version are on the way in just about a year or so. And with Daewoo playing a large role in development of the new Equinox, I am not worried at all.

    The real Rav4 eater will likely be the next Vue. Which is just absolutely stunning inside and out.

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,389
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs down Re: Rav 4 review

    GM once again benchmarked another vehicle (Nox) against vehicles that had already been on the street for a few years. What they should have done is said where will Toyota, Honda etc. go from here and aim at that point. They did not now they are behind again. They are just never going to get it.

  17. #15
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Re: Rav 4 review

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    I've gone at it with you before about the 3400. Me and several other members that drive/have driven Equinox's tried to explain it, but it went in one ear and out the other. By the way, it has 185 HP, not 170. Get your facts straight.

    I will give Toyota kudos for giving their girlie (was girlie?) SUV 269 HP. That was a shock to me, considering past Rav4 attempts.

    The Equinox is easily number 2 in the segment, behind the new Rav4. "Way behind" is a slight exaggeration from a Toyota die-hard.

    I would love to hear how the Equinox is "rotting." Maybe I should peek in my garage to make sure mine hasn't decomposed since I parked it?? Seriously, GM is paying a lot of attention to the Equinox. Just in 2006 alone they took nearly ever suggestion that 2005 owners gave them and applied them to the 2006 models. Here they are:

    *Smaller rear headrests
    *Larger cargo bay
    *Different HVAC controls
    *Stitching on the door trims
    *Smaller bowtie on the rear

    All of the above were complaints (in 2005) from owners and reviewers.

    Not to mention that the Equinox SS as well as a more powerful base version are on the way in just about a year or so. And with Daewoo playing a large role in development of the new Equinox, I am not worried at all.

    The real Rav4 eater will likely be the next Vue. Which is just absolutely stunning inside and out.
    NSAP, if GM had introduced the equinox in 2002 or so, then its place today would be justified, but its too little car for how late its arrived. many competitors are redesigning their products very soon, and in a year or so, GM dealers will be begging for a redesign of the equi, but that wont come for a while now would it?

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 08:48 AM
  2. Solstice 4car review vs. Road & Track review
    By Roadster44 in forum GM Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 09:46 AM
  3. Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 Review
    By gmsickofan in forum Competition News
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 12:08 PM
  4. GM review poses threat of closure to Saab
    By nadepalma in forum Opel & Vauxhall News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 07:46 PM
  5. GM Review Poses Threat of Closure to Saab
    By AmericanRevolution in forum GM Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2