Pics of the all-new Kia Optima/Magentis...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of the all-new Kia Optima/Magentis...

Thanks

Pics of the all-new Kia Optima/Magentis...

Magentis new generation at Frankfurt
    Completes Kia’s product range regeneration

http://www.motiontrends.com/2005/m08...magentis.shtml

Kia Motors Corporation released initial details and photos of its all-new Kia Magentis four-door sedan (also known as ‘Optima’ in some markets), which will make its world premiere at the Frankfurt International Motor Show on September 13, 2005.

Designed at Kia facilities in Korea, the USA and Europe, the new Magentis marks the latest step in the complete regeneration of the Kia product line-up over the last four years.

Longer, wider and higher than the previous model, with an extended 2,720 mm wheelbase, more spacious interior and larger trunk, the stylish new Magentis is a thoroughly modern design, engineered to give Kia a strong challenger for D-segment (upper medium, midsize) sales around the world. The new Magentis measures 4,735 mm long, 1,805 mm wide and 1,480 mm tall.

For North America and the general market, the new Magentis will be available in 2.4-liter in-line four cylinder and 2.7-liter V6 gasoline engines, but a new 2.0-liter diesel engine will be introduced in Europe along with 2.0-liter in-line four cylinder and 2.7-liter V6 gasoline engines.

In Europe, part of Kia’s sales success is attributable to the introduction of class-leading diesel engines across the range. New Magentis will be available with a new 2-litre diesel engine in Europe, as well as two petrol engines. “Like its sister Kia cars, new Magentis has been created with European consumers in mind,” revealed Jean-Charles Lievens, Senior Vice President Kia Europe, where Magentis will be backed by a fully comprehensive 3-year warranty.

As well as attracting customers with its stylish exterior and comfortable interior, the new Magentis will come with a generous level of active and passive safety equipment, including ABS and ESP stability control, rear parking sensors, front, side and curtain airbags, and active (anti-whiplash) front seat head restraints, depending on model.

According to Yong-Hwan Kim, Senior Executive Vice President and COO of Kia Motors Corporation, “Through hard work and dedication, we have totally transformed our product range in recent years. Starting with the Sorento SUV, followed by the A-segment Picanto, the C-segment Cerato, the Sportage compact SUV and most recently the all new B-segment Rio, we have demonstrated Kia’s determination to deliver a modern, highly competitive range of cars with immense customer appeal in Europe and throughout the globe.”

“With the Magentis launch, we will have competitive models in the A, B, C and D-segments as well as the MPV and SUV sectors, maintaining the momentum of our rapid growth and our ability to attract more and more new customers.” Mr. Kim added, “With every new Kia model we have also demonstrated the growing ‘Power to Surprise’ of our developing global brand.”

http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/...ery&start=144#
    Last edited by CarwithSoul; 09-15-2005 at 12:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pics of the all-new Kia Optima/Magentis...

Kia and Hyundai are on a roll!

Thanks

Its almost boring enough to be a Toyota. Almost.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it a rebadged sonata? The profile shot looks identical.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Profile looks good, rear does look quite Sonata-ish... it's the front end that's the big let-down here. I'd like it otherwise.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

doesnt that nose look like the old Infiniti (i think) M45, or Q45 or whatever the hell it used to be called?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squachy
    doesnt that nose look like the old Infiniti (i think) M45, or Q45 or whatever the hell it used to be called?
    I produced the same question upon first seeing this car. That said, I believe the Infiniti you're thinking of is the seemingly invisible current-generation Q45.

Regardless, this car (the Optima) is boring IMO. Very. As much as I'm tempted to dissent Arizona, he's right; has Kia hired late 1990 Lexus/Toyota designers onto its staff since the Spectra? A Lexus, Toyota, or even an Acura badge would blend effortlessly with this car, especially if we reversed time to 1997. Its rear quarter window is better done than the Sonata's but other than that, it joins the third-generation RAV4 in scoring a "Who cares" from my corner.
    Last edited by Phillip; 09-14-2005 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

Thats ugly. Kowalski has one thing right...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tama z71
    Is it a rebadged sonata? The profile shot looks identical.
    Yes, as was the last gen Sonata and current Optima/Magentis.

Looks ok, nothing great. I much prefer the Sonata's exterior.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Like other have said it's nothing spectacular that hasn't really been done before and it's a Kia so it's basically a throw away car after it breaks.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

that looks way better than the accord-like sonata, it's almost in a way looks like a lexus, while copying isn't necessarily a good thing, the car looks really nice.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

hmmmm, from the side it resembeles the last gen accord(side rear) and the infiniti M (side front). i am dissapointed though that hyundai did a rebadge, because this car will now just be competing against the sonata, instead of what they could have done with it, that bieng it going against the altima, G6, fusion etc..., the more sportier bunch.

Thanks

whoa, long lost triplets (the buick to a lesser extent)

Thanks

It's less anonymous than the Sonata, but even more ugly. It reminds me of the Proton Impian, one of the worst proportioned cars. I hope not to see many of them on the roads...

On the other hand, the Rio and the Cerato are very nice cars, so I just don't know what's wrong with Kia stylists...

Thanks

I think for what it is, an entry-level mid-sized sedan, it looks very nice. I see a handsome conservatively styled car, sure it's not eye-catching but it's certainly not ugly. Especially when you compare it to the last Magentis/Optima, which in my opinion looked very cheap, and screamed "I can't afford any better".

In terms of looks I'd choose this over the Accord sedan and Camry as an appliance car.

BTW it's NOT a rebadged Sonata, not even close.

In fact, the new Magentis/Optima doesn't even share a platform with the new Sonata. It was built on the MG platform while the Sonata was built on the NF platform.

The new Magentis is an exclusively Kia product, independently developed and built on the new MG platform and is not related to the Hyundai Sonata, which uses a different wheelbase and suspension systems.
    http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=198271

The different platform explains the all-around smaller Kia's dimensions when compared to the Hyundai. They both use different V6 engines as well.

While I prefer the G6 and Fusion, I can see why some people would want a car that; is mid-sized, doesn't attract too much attention, is affordable, has a great warranty, has a V6 and comes available with lots of safety features, the Optima seems to fit the bill.
    Last edited by CarwithSoul; 09-15-2005 at 01:54 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information