Okuda's Toyota Starts Building Hybrids in China

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Okuda's Toyota Starts Building Hybrids in China

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

http://www.forbes.com/2005/12/15/toy...ml?partner=msn

Forbes | Parmy Olson

LONDON - While Citigroup is gearing up for Chinese consumers' wallets, Toyota Motor is thinking of their wheels. The Japanese auto maker is beginning production of its hybrid car, Prius, in a key Chinese industrial city.

The fuel-efficient car--which Forbes.com reviewed and liked--has been a hit with U.S. celebrities like Jennifer Lopez and Leonardo DiCaprio, who have swapped their limos for the more climate friendly roadster. Its hybrid engine was even being eyed by General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ).

As they develop deeper pockets, the Chinese may soon embrace similarly socially conscious purchasing--although with high oil prices some would say hybrids are an economically savvy choice. Either way, the country's auto market is growing, and Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people ), headed by Chairman Hiroshi Okuda, is paying attention.

Toyota's joint vehicle production with China FAW Group will be producing the trendy fuel-efficient cars in Changchun City, Jilin Province. It will be the first time that Toyota, Japan's biggest auto maker, produces outside of home soil.

The Chinese-built Prius cars will be priced at around $36,000 and the joint venture aims to sell some 3,000 cars in 2006, Toyota said in a statement.

"It is my strong wish that the Prius built here in Changchun will contribute to the widespread use of hybrid vehicles in China,” Toyota's executive vice president, Yoshimi Inaba, said at an event marking the new production.

Internet orders in China are scheduled to begin Friday, December 16. Whether or not the Prius sells like hotcakes there too remains to be seen.
    More at link
    -----
    The second paragraph is my favorite. Apparently the Prius is a "climate friendly roadster."

Last edited by Ming; 12-15-2005 at 01:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Okuda's Toyota Starts Building Hybrids in China

Is it just me or does this article make it sound like Toyota is the only one thinking about Chinese consumers when it comes to "wheels", the first line comparing them to Citigroup is what is suspect.

Why not compare to VW or for that matter GM which both have a great headstart in China.

Thanks

I'm having a bad day...and that smug sunuvvabiatch in that picture just pisses me off.

Those folks at Toyota are so [email protected]#k-ing smart. The Chinese would still probably be pushing eachother around in Blocks if it wasn't for the Japanese looking out for them.

Come to think about I think that the Japanese once upon a few years ago tried to help the Chinese out....of....say their...land.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

The Chinese-built Prius cars will be priced at around $36,000 and the joint venture aims to sell some 3,000 cars in 2006, Toyota said in a statement.
    Priced at $36,000!! Never knew that manufacturing costs in China were as expensive as Japan.. lol..

Thanks

Wow, playing on celebrities that only use a car for its image. Celebrities still keep all their fancy cars and drive these to events just to look good. Makes me sick....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01cavalier
    Wow, playing on celebrities that only use a car for its image. Celebrities still keep all their fancy cars and drive these to events just to look good. Makes me sick....
    Look it up, there were "Hybrid Stations" at the Oscars, where the celebs would ditch their limos and pretend to have driven to the Oscars in Hybrids when they actually only went a few blocks in them to the red carpet. Sickening hypocrisy, sickening "we know what's good for the masses and we'll trick them into it" mentality.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MittarFulgar
    Look it up, there were "Hybrid Stations" at the Oscars, where the celebs would ditch their limos and pretend to have driven to the Oscars in Hybrids when they actually only went a few blocks in them to the red carpet. Sickening hypocrisy, sickening "we know what's good for the masses and we'll trick them into it" mentality.
    some do, some don't

some really drive theirs everywhere; like camren diaz, leo dicaprio, jack black, and kristen bell

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

For every Prius made, everyone else needs to drive 500 extra miles to counter off their fuel saving. =] lol
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz
    Priced at $36,000!! Never knew that manufacturing costs in China were as expensive as Japan.. lol..
    Reportedly, it costs more (due to inefficencies and having to import parts) to build the same car in China by any of the Japanese, German, or American makers than to do so in thier home countries. This doesn't carry over to Geely and Chery, but they make ****************, so that probably isn't transferable.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information