Nissan Stumbles.....

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Nissan Stumbles.....

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Nissan Stumbles.....

BusinessWeek has a pretty nice article on Nissan and how the wheels are starting to look a little shaky.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...7/b3960064.htm

I've heard that over 10% of Nissan's dealers have already sued the company for what sound like some nasty ethical lapses. Apparently, Ghosn's trick is to cut corners to prop up short-term profits and threaten any dealer who doesn't stock up on the necessary number of Quests, Titans, and Sentras needed to make the numbers.

If you've driven a Quest, you know where the money comes out of in terms of material quality. How they think this thing matches up to a Sienna or even a T&C is beyond me.

BW hints that the gig is up. I agree. Nissan is as close to Toyota and GM as the Lions are to winning the Super Bowl.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Nissan Stumbles.....

You really have a hate-on for Nissan, huh? One down month (in a month more automakers' sales than not were down) and suddenly Nissan is doomed? Please.

I've heard that over 10% of Nissan's dealers have already sued the company for what sound like some nasty ethical lapses. Apparently, Ghosn's trick is to cut corners to prop up short-term profits and threaten any dealer who doesn't stock up on the necessary number of Quests, Titans, and Sentras needed to make the numbers.
    Yeah, that's the second time you've said that and haven't provided anything to back that statement up.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

It's not old news tat Nissan and Infiniti skimp on bits and pieces of the interior. It shows up in weird spots.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

that sucks, because I htink Nissan/Infiniti is ****************ing awesome and I completely support them. Im not completely anti-import. I am very much pro-import asl ong as it isnt ToyHonda.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Z350
    You really have a hate-on for Nissan, huh? One down month (in a month more automakers' sales than not were down) and suddenly Nissan is doomed? Please.

Yeah, that's the second time you've said that and haven't provided anything to back that statement up.
    Actually, I'm partial to the company, I just dislike any organization that acts dishonestly or unethically. The stories about what constitutes SOP for Nissan are distasteful.

Very quickly, you can review these two links: Jim Zigler is a respected journalist that has been railing about how Nissan does business for a while now. I don't think anyone will argue that he has a hard-on for one mfg over another. He has a reputation for calling them like he sees them. BTW, he's a big GM fan these days.

http://dealer-magazine.com/frameset....ackissues.html

http://dealer-magazine.com/frameset....ackissues.html

In other news...I am in touch with dozens of Nissan dealers and it is a shame the way the factory is dogging its loyal dealers. My advice to those considering buying a Nissan dealership is to do your homework. The factory is all over non-conforming dealers and many dealers are threatened with termination of franchise for the most trivial and contrived reasons. According to many dealers I've spoken with, many of the DOMs (Dealer Operations Managers) have allegedly turned into evil bloodthirsty storm-troopers beating their dealers into submission. Of course, I am certainly not talking about all of them...and the ones who are coming down on the dealers are operating under orders. Actually, in an off-the-record conversation with an executive on the inside, I was told Nissan is weeding out "undesirable" dealers. Now bear in mind, we're not necessarily talking about underperforming dealers here. No, there are certain dealers that Nissan has allegedly and apparently singled out for termination, and it appears they'll find a way to make it happen. If I were a Nissan dealer, I'd be very concerned about the shabby treatment I am hearing about. If it isn't happening to you yet, just wait; the pressures appear to be escalating as Nissan's cars and trucks get more popular.

I'll see if I saved the article that specifically mentioned the number of lawsuits and the specific allegations.

Thanks

I think Nissan has been skimping lately especially on the interior build quality. Even Infiniti seems to be doing much of the same thing although their interiors aren't that bad, just less than you would expect from a Japanese automaker. I think Nissan is trying too hard to be like the domestics. Every car has big power but the quality isn't what it used to be.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Z350

According to an Automotive News survey of dealers, dealer attorneys, state dealer associations and state regulators, Nissan has generated complaints from at least 118 dealerships in 25 states. That is more than 10 percent of Nissan's U.S. dealership network.

Source: Automotive News May 30, 2005. Author: Donna Harris

If you know how factory/dealer relationships work, you'll realize that this statistic sets a new record. If 1% of GM's dealers sued them, it would be big news. 10% is unheard of.....my guess is that if Nissan continues to struggle compared to Hon/Toy (and make no mistake, they've been struggling for far more than just one month), this story will get mainstream media attention.

Put it another way, if 10% of any franchisee group sued, do you think there just might be something going on?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    So Nissan is getting rid of the bad dealers. Sounds like a good plan. One that GM could use.

MF
    "Now bear in mind, we're not necessarily talking about underperforming dealers here. No, there are certain dealers that Nissan has allegedly and apparently singled out for termination, and it appears they'll find a way to make it happen"

The point of the article wasn't about getting rid of bad dealers. The allegations are that Nissan is going after dealers for reasons that have little to do with 'performance.'

It's a question of context: Mitsubishi wasn't accused of having quality problems, it was guilty of covering those problems up. Honda wasn't guilty of adding points, it was guilty of taking payoffs and kickbacks for granting new points.

Nissan's not being accused of weeding out bad dealers (whatever that is defined as): they're being accused of using 'performance' as a way to carry out vendettas.

For whatever reasons, Japanese automakers have a rich history in these sort of sordid deals. It's not a 'hate-on' to post relevant information that suggests that perhaps this might be something along those lines. AN and Dealer Magazine are reputatable sources that have been hinting that something's not quite right within Nissan. We'll see.

If you have time, read some of Zigler's old columns and see what you think of him.
    Last edited by Motownr; 11-13-2005 at 11:08 PM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Innotech
    that sucks, because I htink Nissan/Infiniti is ****************ing awesome and I completely support them. Im not completely anti-import. I am very much pro-import asl ong as it isnt ToyHonda.
    always a fan of those with the crappy interiors eh? huh? huh?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Yea Nissan sucks at making an interior, the handle on the cabin roof feel off at the autoshow the other day and the armrests felt very cheap. Actually the whole truck felt like a cheap POS especially the loose tailgate surround black plastic thing which was slightly loose.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    always a fan of those with the crappy interiors eh? huh? huh?
    yes, when the exterior is flippin gorgeous and the performance is decent.
    Nissan/Infiniti have these htings down pretty well.
    Toyota wont ever figure them out.
    Hondas trying to.

Thanks

Yes Nissan interiors have always been 1/2 a step behind Toyota and Honda, but of the three I will always like Nissan better. Too bad they had to kill the 240SX.

PS:
    The Infiniti M35/45 has a beautiful interior.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    Hidden Content

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information