Mitsubishi: Committed to United States

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Mitsubishi: Committed to United States

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Mitsubishi: Committed to United States

Mitsubishi leaving US? No, it's doubling its marketing budget
    Jeffrey N. Ross
    February 12, 2013
    autoblog.com

Despite dwindling sales and a shrinking lineup, Mitsubishi's new North American chairman, Gayu Uesugi, has said on multiple occasions that the automaker has no plans to abandon the US market. Spending extra money on marketing and advertising should be a good start to help improve sales, but a lack of fresh and competitive products is also keeping showrooms empty.
    Read the full article at the link below:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/12/m...keting-budget/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Re: Mitsubishi: Committed to United States

...for how long?
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Hmpf. Studebaker spoke with plenty of bravado in its final year too. Mitsubishi has to demonstrate results. My impression is they are in an Isuzu/Suzuki death spiral of poorly located dealerships and unconvincing products.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    ...for how long?
    Not that anyone is supposed to admit this publicly about their company, but it'd be good to hear that they also realize they have a product problem. Their US lineup consists of the Lancer, which still looks good but is quite aged inside and in economy, the iMiEV (EV that is hardly a volume product), Outlander Sport (already needs an update inside but overall not too bad an effort), and the Outlander, which again shows its age on the inside and needs a full redesign these days.

Trouble is, Mitsubishi probably doesn't have the funds and time to bring to market a new Galant to truly rival the best of the best American, Japanese, and South Korean competition. The Lancer may as well be their flagship volume car of sorts, like a Dart or Focus where it can come rental grade or loaded up with the goodies, and nearly 40 mpg to boot. A subcompact is necessary too. Bring back the Eclipse based on the Lancer but actually done well for good measure. This gives them a start with volume small SUVs and cars. From there they can try to branch out a bit. This is exactly why I've advocated for Mitsu to join hands with a brand like Suzuki where they can share a lot of costs on engines and platforms because such companies struggle to reasonably compete with heavy hitters like Toyota, GM, and VW on a global scale.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

I thought we heard this same story a month ago.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I am not so sure that marketing is their biggest problem........

Their number 1 problem IMHO is product, they simply are a ran as in most market segments at least from my perspective.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Not that anyone is supposed to admit this publicly about their company, but it'd be good to hear that they also realize they have a product problem. Their US lineup consists of the Lancer, which still looks good but is quite aged inside and in economy, the iMiEV (EV that is hardly a volume product), Outlander Sport (already needs an update inside but overall not too bad an effort), and the Outlander, which again shows its age on the inside and needs a full redesign these days.

Trouble is, Mitsubishi probably doesn't have the funds and time to bring to market a new Galant to truly rival the best of the best American, Japanese, and South Korean competition. The Lancer may as well be their flagship volume car of sorts, like a Dart or Focus where it can come rental grade or loaded up with the goodies, and nearly 40 mpg to boot. A subcompact is necessary too. Bring back the Eclipse based on the Lancer but actually done well for good measure. This gives them a start with volume small SUVs and cars. From there they can try to branch out a bit. This is exactly why I've advocated for Mitsu to join hands with a brand like Suzuki where they can share a lot of costs on engines and platforms because such companies struggle to reasonably compete with heavy hitters like Toyota, GM, and VW on a global scale.
    Mitsubishi has some ties with Citroen over in Europe I'm not certain how much their relationship entails as far as platforms and engine technology but a joint venture on the next gen C5/Galant could help stop the hemorrhaging in the U.S. The current gen C5 is a very nice looking vehicle in current guise but it would be way too expensive to pass off as a Galant stateside. I don't think anyone company can sustain such a significant period of losses that Mitsubishi has endured over the past decade without taking some drastic measures. They could really use a panacea and something more than their commitment to EV technology. I agree a partnership with Suzuki would have been great especially when considering their small car platforms/engines. But unfortunately Suzuki is now dead here in the states and the ultimate kiss of death started when they began producing thinly guised poor quality Daewoos under their nameplate.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 02-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
    Mitsubishi has some ties with Citroen over in Europe I'm not certain how much their relationship entails as far as platforms and engine technology but a joint venture on the next gen C5/Galant could help stop the hemorrhaging in the U.S. The current gen C5 is a very nice looking vehicle in current guise but it would be way too expensive to pass off as a Galant stateside. I don't think anyone company can sustain the losses Mitsubishi has endured over the past decade-----they could really use a panacea and something more than their commitment to EV technology.
    My idea of an Isuzu-Mitsubishi-Suzuki alliance or even merger is just a pipe dream and nothing more. Suzuki is still involved with VW AFAIK and is trying to get out of that relationship. Just one example of what makes a union of these tree more than difficult.

I really like the C5, actually, but yeah unless it was build in NA (or the Galant version was) the cost would be tragic for us.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I can't even think of what one of their current cars look like, never see any newer ones on the road.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,145 Times in 4,381 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I actually saw an ad for the Outlander a couple of days ago. And about once a month I see a Lancer on the road. Nice looking car, rare as a Suzuki SX4. OTOH, I've never seen a Kizachi in the wild.

They made some cool wagons in the 1990s, Mitsu Exo LRV, Dodge/Plymouth Colt Wagon, Eagle Summit wagon.
    http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...all-wagon.html
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Doubling its marketing? Does this mean they will buy 4 magazine ads instead of the current 2 magazine ads in Walking Dead Weekly and Invisible Market Share Monthly?
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

As much as I love Mitsubishi, and having owned 3 with one being my very first car, this doesn't sound good. Suzuki made the same announcement about a year before they pulled out.

Either Mitsubishi develops relationships with other manufacturers (Volvo or Mazda maybe?) or they are done. I think the partnership with CitroŽn is all but dissolved.

I just don't see any outstanding product in the next couple years.

Outlander and Outlander sport both received MCEs for 2013 with the Outlander seeing most of the changes. The iMiev is relatively new but not selling, and they have the aging lancer. The Lander is due for a refresh for the end of 2014 as a 2015 MY update and maybe (a big maybe)Mits brings the cheaper and entry level mirage. Although most of these smaller segment cars are now packed with features and options the mirage was created more for emerging markets and would be under the Rio in terms of options/price/budget.

Eclipse and gallant are both dead which is a huge no no for the NA market. Yet they have their partnership with Infiniti rebadging the Infiniti M as a Diamonte -I hardly see us getting that.

Not to mention Chrysler bought the rights from Hyundai and Mitsui for the global engine (now called tigershark) they co developed leaving Mitsui with little option under the hood and having them rebuilding there as well.

Mitsubishi has a long hard road a head if it hopes to survive.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Mitsubishi definitely needs help.
    They need better exterior designs for their vehicles.
    Something bold & striking something like what Hyundai/Kia have done.

If Mitsubishi should eventually pull out from NA it wouldn't be surprising.
    I wish Mitsubishi well in future endeavors.

!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information