In at least one segment, Jaguar outsells Lexus

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In at least one segment, Jaguar outsells Lexus

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

In at least one segment, Jaguar outsells Lexus

My blog: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: In at least one segment, Jaguar outsells Lexus

It's not that impressive when you consider how many engine variants the XJ (3.0L V6 diesel, 2.0L I4 petrol turbocharged, 3.0L V6 petrol supercharged, 5.0L V8 petrol, 5.0L V8 petrol supercharged) has over the LS. In much of the world (i.e. Europe) the only LSes for sale are hybrids and big V8 gasoline engines, which are very expensive.

In the UK for example the cheapest LS you can buy starts 71,995 GBP ($112,542). Meanwhile you can get into an S-class in the UK for 62,650 GBP ($97,921), an A8 for 56,930 GBP ($88,992), and an XJ for 56,865 GBP ($88,891).
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 09-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    In the UK for example the cheapest LS you can buy starts 71,995 GBP ($112,542). Meanwhile you can get into an S-class in the UK for 62,650 GBP ($97,921), an A8 for 56,930 GBP ($88,992), and an XJ for 56,865 GBP ($88,891).
    That's interesting... You learn something new every day... What Brit wouldn't buy the XJ over an LS with that disparity in price?
    Is this pricing similar throughout Europe?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Not bad for a Tata sub brand.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,126 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

It's not that impressive when you consider how many engine variants the XJ (3.0L V6 diesel, 2.0L I4 petrol turbocharged, 3.0L V6 petrol supercharged, 5.0L V8 petrol, 5.0L V8 petrol supercharged) has over the LS. In much of the world (i.e. Europe) the only LSes for sale are hybrids and big V8 gasoline engines, which are very expensive.

Yes. But the variety of engines goes for all the the flagships. Just means Lexus is behind the curve.

That being said, Jaguar also has higher level cars than Lexus offers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Yes. But the variety of engines goes for all the the flagships. Just means Lexus is behind the curve.

That being said, Jaguar also has higher level cars than Lexus offers.
    The next gen LS will probably be a more global oriented car than the current one and may offer a wider range of engines. That said displacement tax, emissions tax, and company car/fleet sales in much of Europe will drive most buyers towards the lower end engine options which Lexus simply doesn't offer. If they did the LS would probably be at 2x-3x the volume it is now globally.

Toe to toe I doubt a Jag XJ can outsell the Lexus LS. Heck I'd say the A8 would have a tough time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    That's interesting... You learn something new every day... What Brit wouldn't buy the XJ over an LS with that disparity in price?
    Is this pricing similar throughout Europe?
    Indeed it is.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,583 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Lexus is a wannabe in Europe and the UK while Jag is a respected and desirable brand

Big difference
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

The next gen LS will probably be a more global oriented car than the current one and may offer a wider range of engines. That said displacement tax, emissions tax, and company car/fleet sales in much of Europe will drive most buyers towards the lower end engine options which Lexus simply doesn't offer. If they did the LS would probably be at 2x-3x the volume it is now globally.

Toe to toe I doubt a Jag XJ can outsell the Lexus LS. Heck I'd say the A8 would have a tough time too.
    Depends. Lexus still struggles in Europe. And the XJ has the appropriate engine mix. Lexus has no diesels. And no LS-F. And Jaguar still has the XJR waiting in the wings, due later this year or early next year. And there's the new hybrid system developed for the CX-75. And the XJ has an AWD system.

Which leads me back to the original statement.... Lexus is just behind the curve.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Indeed it is.
    Of course this is something GM needs to consider as they launch Cadillac globally, especially the upcoming S Class competitor....

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Could we just agree now to call it Jag-you-are? It DOES have al-you-min-ium boot and bonnet, doesn't it?

And yes, I'd take a Jag over a Lexus any day of the week.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

Depends. Lexus still struggles in Europe. And the XJ has the appropriate engine mix. Lexus has no diesels. And no LS-F. And Jaguar still has the XJR waiting in the wings, due later this year or early next year. And there's the new hybrid system developed for the CX-75. And the XJ has an AWD system.

Which leads me back to the original statement.... Lexus is just behind the curve.
    The "R" and "AMG" models are niche and contribute little to overall volume. What sells are the lower displacement gas and diesels. That said there is potential for an LS-F to come:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/05/t...-tested-video/

But yeah with no diesels and no small displacement engines, the LS barely participates in the same market as the others outside of the US. But if it did (and in the future it might), I see it easily outselling the XJ and posing a serious threat to the A8. In the first year of the current gen model the LS was the best selling full size luxury sedan in the world, outselling even the S-class.

BTW I spent a few days in San Francisco, and I must say Vancouver is a much nicer city (cleaner, greener, more modern, and better maintained).

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

The "R" and "AMG" models are niche and contribute little to overall volume. What sells are the lower displacement gas and diesels. That said there is potential for an LS-F to come:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/05/t...-tested-video/

But yeah with no diesels and no small displacement engines, the LS barely participates in the same market as the others outside of the US. But if it did (and in the future it might), I see it easily outselling the XJ and posing a serious threat to the A8. In the first year of the current gen model the LS was the best selling full size luxury sedan in the world, outselling even the S-class.
    BUt Lexus is still not a major play in Europe. Jaguar is.

BTW I spent a few days in San Francisco, and I must say Vancouver is a much nicer city (cleaner, greener, more modern, and better maintained).
    I don't doubt it.

The difference is one is in the US... and the other is in Canada. SF isn't the cleanest city around. And the construction and all the torn up roads aren't helping any.
    Problem with SF is that it's so damn expensive. It is also more populous that Vancouver with much higher population density.

Also, isn't Vancouver a top 5 "best places to live" in the world?? The only cities from the US in the Top 30 are Honolulu and San Francisco -- at 28 and 29.

But in the world rankings as a global city, San Francisco is a top tier city, Vancouver is not.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 09-07-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks

I don't doubt it.

The difference is one is in the US... and the other is in Canada. SF isn't the cleanest city around. And the construction and all the torn up roads aren't helping any.
    Problem with SF is that it's so damn expensive. It is also more populous that Vancouver with much higher population density.

Also, isn't Vancouver a top 5 "best places to live" in the world?? The only cities from the US in the Top 30 are Honolulu and San Francisco -- at 28 and 29.

But in the world rankings as a global city, San Francisco is a top tier city, Vancouver is not.
    Vancouver is getting expensive too, maybe even rivals San Francisco these days. It may not be as hot a tourist destination, but it's a much more livable city (usually ranks in the top 3, sometimes #1). I couldn't live in San Francisco although I am jealous of your weather.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

That's Lexus's fault for failing to diversify their offerings to meet the needs of regional markets.

Vancouver is getting expensive too, maybe even rivals San Francisco these days. It may not be as hot a tourist destination, but it's a much more livable city (usually ranks in the top 3, sometimes #1). I couldn't live in San Francisco although I am jealous of your weather.
    Affordable housing is harder to come by in Vancouver.
    Last edited by Jesda; 09-07-2013 at 02:14 AM.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Sox
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Could we just agree now to call it Jag-you-are? It DOES have al-you-min-ium boot and bonnet, doesn't it?

And yes, I'd take a Jag over a Lexus any day of the week.
    You oh-so-obviously haven't owned a Jag.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information