L.A. Times: Mistusbishi Tries to Sell Japanese-ness

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: L.A. Times: Mistusbishi Tries to Sell Japanese-ness

Thanks

L.A. Times: Mistusbishi Tries to Sell Japanese-ness

'Kill Bill' Did It. 'Lost in Translation' Did, Too. Now Mitsubishi Plays Up Japan's Hip Factor.
    By JEREMY W. PETERS
    Published: June 20, 2005
    Los Angeles Times

TOYOTA, Nissan and Hyundai can't seem to stop talking about how American they are. Not Mitsubishi; it wants you to know the red diamonds in its logo are as red as the rising sun.

Complete with booming Japanese taiko drums and cars that bow in the customary Japanese show of respect, Mitsubishi's new advertising campaign for the Eclipse sports coupe tries to sell the company's Asian lineage.

A Mitsubishi Eclipse is about to pass a few other cars that are bowing in a show of respect in a new promotional campaign. The company is playing up its Asian heritage.

"The Japanese competitors have walked away from that," said Chris Hall, a vice president with BBDO Worldwide in New York, the advertising agency that designed Mitsubishi's new campaign. "They are trying to be as American as they can be. So we said, 'We need to take this ground. It's ours.' "

In a 30-second television spot, titled "Respect," that is scheduled to begin running on July 1, a red Eclipse meets a nondescript black coupe at an intersection. As the two cars sit grille to grille, the black one bows by lowering its headlights and its front end. The Eclipse then zips past, leaving the humbled black coupe at the intersection.

In another 30-second spot that began running on television last month, sleeveless, short-skirted women beat on taiko drums and let out an occasional yelp as the camera gives close-up shots of the Eclipse. The car speeds down a wet city street and skids into a 180-degree turn as the announcer calls attention to the available 263-horsepower engine. The Eclipse, he says, is "driven to thrill."

The new advertising campaign is part of Mitsubishi's broader effort to remake its image and reconnect with consumers.

"Our intention is to rebuild the brand model by model," said Dave Schembri, Mitsubishi's North American sales and marketing chief. "It starts with the Eclipse."

Not too long ago, Mitsubishi was asking people to buy its cars for their 100,000-mile, 10-year warranties, not for their styling or power. Critics said the campaign was hardly a vote of confidence by the company in the appeal of its product.

Since then, the automaker has cleaned house in its marketing operations. Its old advertising agency, Deutsch, part of the Interpublic Group of Companies, was replaced with BBDO, which is a unit of the Omnicom Group. Several senior company executives who oversaw marketing are now gone.

"Basically, the impression consumers told us they had with Mitsubishi, somehow we lost over the years," said Mr. Schembri, who joined Mitsubishi in February. "The warranty campaign spoke to the rational side of the reasons people buy our cars. The more overwhelming reason people buy our cars is the emotional aspect of a Mitsubishi, and that's what we needed to reconnect the consumer with." Mr. Schembri came to Mitsubishi from Mercedes-Benz, where he led the Smart minicar division.

Mitsubishi is hoping the Eclipse, one of its top sellers, will help reverse the company's eroding market share and sagging profits. For the financial year that ended in March, Mitsubishi reported a loss of $4.4 billion, and its sales dropped by more than a third compared with the previous year.

In a telephone interview, Mr. Schembri underscored how critical the success of the new Eclipse is to the company's turnaround. "The Eclipse really has several purposes. Not only is it an important car because it's a signature car for the brand," he said, "but it also serves the purpose in rebuilding the brand."

Peter M. DeLorenzo, a former automobile advertising executive who is now a consultant and is also the publisher of Autoextremist.com, a Web site that comments on the industry, said Mitsubishi is in a "do or die" situation. "There's no question they need a substantially hip product," he said. "Everything is on the line."

The hip factor is the reason Mitsubishi chose to highlight its Japanese roots. Looking at the recent popularity of Japanese culture with American consumers, Mitsubishi believes it can cash in on that in the same way makers of the movies "Kill Bill" and "Lost in Translation" did.

"That whole phenomenon is sort of sweeping the country much the way the British invasion did," Mr. Hall, the BBDO executive, said.

Not everyone is convinced the cultural heritage is a marketable commodity.

Mr. DeLorenzo said the ads gave the appearance of a last resort for Mitsubishi. "They've tried everything else. To hark back to the great legacy of Mitsubishi is a bit shaky, but it's a little bit above grasping straws."

Clive Chajet, chairman of the Chajet Consultancy in New York, said nationality is not a factor most consumers consider when buying a car. "Swiss cheese doesn't have to come from Switzerland. Chablis doesn't have to come from France. We are living in an era where national identities are less and less relevant," he said. "I would venture to guess that they have been unable to come up with any other meaningful points of differentiation between their brand and their competing brands."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: L.A. Times: Mistusbishi Tries to Sell Japanese-ness

They are just doing it because they want people to think they make good cars, and in order to do that they have to have a Japanese theme. I doubt people will buy it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 950 Posts

The Eclipse had some chances (and personnaly I prefer the Mitsu Raider over the Ridgeline) but what they might need is a car who can turn the fortunes and opinions like Chrysler's K-car, 1st-gen minivan, 300C/Magnum or 1st-gen Ford Taurus. The European Colt got lots of good reviews there and I wish to see this model in Canada (and even in the US). It might be the car to give a good boost to Mitsu's sales.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

If this thing was RWD I bet it would attract more customers who don't necessarily depend on Japanese heritage.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually like their new commercials, which are a lot better than Toyota and [sigh]Hyundai[/sigh] trying to show how American they are. Atleast Mitsubishi knows its roots, despite the company itself lagging worldwide. And like they say, "Always stay true to yourself."

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jro4566
    I actually like their new commercials, which are a lot better than Toyota and [sigh]Hyundai[/sigh] trying to show how American they are. Atleast Mitsubishi knows its roots, despite the company itself lagging worldwide. And like they say, "Always stay true to yourself."
    Well you're right, but I still find the Mitsubishi commercials really cheesy.
    Last edited by griswold44; 10-10-2005 at 07:02 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I was shocked when I saw the eclipse comercial. After years of japansese companies bragging about how many Americans they employ, and implying they are as Ameican as GM and Ford, it was sort of refreshing.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet
    I was shocked when I saw the eclipse comercial. After years of japansese companies bragging about how many Americans they employ, and implying they are as Ameican as GM and Ford, it was sort of refreshing.
    Mitsubishi really doesn't employ many Americans. They've got 1 plant in the U.S that I heard was in danger of having a majority of the work force laid off.

Thanks

Talking Re: L.A. Times: Mistusbishi Tries to Sell Japanese-ness

Quote Originally Posted by gacSTclass
    "it wants you to know the red diamonds in its logo are as red as the rising sun."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't the diamonds chrome on the eclipse and all current Mitsu models?

http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Util...ogo-grille.jpg

If they wanted us to know they're as red as the rising sun, the decision to have the badges on all models becoming chrome must've been made by a pretty colorblind person..

Either that, or LA Times hasn't really looked as closely at the Mitsubishis they review as they have the GM vehicl.... oh, wait... yeah.. about that... Top notch, unbiased auto reviewers they have on staff there...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBar2k
    Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't the diamonds chrome on the eclipse and all current Mitsu models?

http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Util...ogo-grille.jpg

If they wanted us to know they're as red as the rising sun, the decision to have the badges on all models becoming chrome must've been made by a pretty colorblind person..

Either that, or LA Times hasn't really looked as closely at the Mitsubishis they review as they have the GM vehicl.... oh, wait... yeah.. about that... Top notch, unbiased auto reviewers they have on staff there...
    Its still red in commercials, and on some models.

Thanks

Mitsu is probably trying to ride on Toyota and Honda's coattails. Good Luck, they are going to need it!!!

Thanks

Thanks

Stop advertising your sites in old threads.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information