KIA Prepping CX-3, HR-V Competitor

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: KIA Prepping CX-3, HR-V Competitor

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,127 Times in 4,371 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

KIA Prepping CX-3, HR-V Competitor

Kia is reportedly readying a compact crossover model that will compete with the Mazda CX-3 and Honda HR-V.

Speaking to Motoring, Kia Australia COO Damien Meredith spoke about a new model that will be aimed directly at the CX-3 and HR-V and could possibly make a debut at the 2016 L.A. Auto Show or 2017 Detroit Auto Show. The compact crossover will be based on the Kia Rio, and Meredith admits that it’s possible it will cannibalize sales of the Rio, much like how the CX-3 killed off the Mazda2 in North America. “We’ve got to be very strident about what effect it will have on Rio,” he said. “It needs to fit into the market and do what it needs to do in the CX-3 and HR-V segment. As long as the aggregate is more than we lose, it’s OK.”

The model currently doesn’t have an official name yet, but it is believed to draw inspiration from the Kia Provo concept that debuted at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show.

Given that the new compact crossover could even affect Soul sales in the U.S., Meredith noted that the Soul will be repositioned when it receives its midcycle refresh that will include a turbocharged variant as previously teased.

The next-generation Kia Rio is rumored to make its debut at the 2016 Paris Motor Show in October, so the new crossover shouldn’t be far behind.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...onda-hr-v.html
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: KIA Prepping CX-3, HR-V Competitor

Odd. You would think they could simply re-postion/re-market the Soul, as many cars mags have already used the Soul in comparisons with the H-RV and CX-3, where it has stood up very well

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WineOH For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-19-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Odd is what I thought too. Scuttlebutt has it the 2017 MC will have an AWD Soul with the rear wheels electric-powered, and the 1.6T with 7-speed dual-clutch also fitted. Why do they need ANOTHER model on the tiny end of the spectrum?

I recall those tests, will have to dig out old magazine. Or I could use algore's Amazing Internet...
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

So it's something other than the Kia KX-3?

Thanks
    My Ride

Not familiar with KX-3, a lookup says it's a Sportage.

Kia Soul 2017 model year – possible new stuff!
    Release date: late 2016
    Dealership arrival: late 2016
    1,6L T-GDI turbo engine could be added to the range
    Dual clutch transmission – DCT could be added to the range
    New Soul exterior colors may be offered
    Kia may also launch a new 2017 Soul special edition model
    Keep in mind that the 2017 Soul changes suggested here are highly speculative and have yet to be confirmed by the automaker!
    2017 Kia Soul EV electric car
    The 2017 model year changes and improvements may also affect the 2017 Soul EV (all electric model).
    You can expect Kia to further enhance the all electric 2017 Soul EV with a longer driving range on a single charge being one of the possible tweaks.
    Soul Trailster AWD Launch in 2017
    The long awaited Soul AWD could also be launched next year.
    It’s very likely that the upcoming 2017 Soul all-wheel-drive model will be named Trailster, after the automaker’s latest AWD crossover concept car.
    http://www.kia-world.net/2017-kia-soul/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I read this earlier, then when I was out I saw a small Hyundai crossover that I don't know. Looked exactly CX3 and HRV sized, checked online, would seem it's the ix25. Haven't yet checked the size, but it sure appears to be in that class. Anyone know anything about it?
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    I read this earlier, then when I was out I saw a small Hyundai crossover that I don't know. Looked exactly CX3 and HRV sized, checked online, would seem it's the ix25. Haven't yet checked the size, but it sure appears to be in that class. Anyone know anything about it?
    ix25 appears to be an Indian market critter. Nothing to do with liz'beff Warren and her tribe.

Off the Soul chassis, I mean platform.

NEW PRICE: £12,000 - £20,000 ON SALE: 2015
    Hyundai's ix25 concept, revealed at the 2014 Beijing Motor Show, doesn’t come as much of a surprise. The Korean brand doesn’t have a small SUV in its arsenal – yet.

The Hyundai ix25 will look to steal sales from the popular Nissan Juke
    What is the Hyundai ix25?
    The ix25 is a supermini-sized SUV, a move from Hyundai to throw its increasing weight into the ring with featherweight crossovers like the Nissan Juke, Renault Captur, Vauxhall Mokka and Skoda Yeti.

It’s based on the same platform as the second generation Kia Soul, launched earlier in 2014. The Soul, in turn, uses slightly modified underpinnings from the Kia Cee’d and Hyundai i30 medium hatchbacks.

The styling is very much informed by Hyundai's larger ix35, with a tapering window line, wraparound lights and a distinctive grille. But it does look exceptionally similar to the Kia Soul, which itself is a much more grown-up design compared to the original.

What engines will the Hyundai ix25 use?

The Hyundai ix25 shares a platform with the Kia Soul crossover
    The concept car showcased in Beijing uses a 2.0-litre petrol engine. However, this isn’t likely to make it to production. Instead, we expect Hyundai to incorporate existing petrol engines from the i30 line up – a 98bhp 1.4 and 118bhp 1.6. The i30's 108bhp and 126bhp 1.6-litre diesel engines are likely to be used too.

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/coming-soon/hyundai-ix25/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (06-19-2016)

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    ix25 appears to be an Indian market critter. Nothing to do with liz'beff Warren and her tribe.

Off the Soul chassis, I mean platform.

NEW PRICE: £12,000 - £20,000 ON SALE: 2015
    Hyundai's ix25 concept, revealed at the 2014 Beijing Motor Show, doesn’t come as much of a surprise. The Korean brand doesn’t have a small SUV in its arsenal – yet.

The Hyundai ix25 will look to steal sales from the popular Nissan Juke
    What is the Hyundai ix25?
    The ix25 is a supermini-sized SUV, a move from Hyundai to throw its increasing weight into the ring with featherweight crossovers like the Nissan Juke, Renault Captur, Vauxhall Mokka and Skoda Yeti.

It’s based on the same platform as the second generation Kia Soul, launched earlier in 2014. The Soul, in turn, uses slightly modified underpinnings from the Kia Cee’d and Hyundai i30 medium hatchbacks.

The styling is very much informed by Hyundai's larger ix35, with a tapering window line, wraparound lights and a distinctive grille. But it does look exceptionally similar to the Kia Soul, which itself is a much more grown-up design compared to the original.

What engines will the Hyundai ix25 use?

The Hyundai ix25 shares a platform with the Kia Soul crossover
    The concept car showcased in Beijing uses a 2.0-litre petrol engine. However, this isn’t likely to make it to production. Instead, we expect Hyundai to incorporate existing petrol engines from the i30 line up – a 98bhp 1.4 and 118bhp 1.6. The i30's 108bhp and 126bhp 1.6-litre diesel engines are likely to be used too.

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/coming-soon/hyundai-ix25/
    elizabeth warren; of the tribe all-talk-no-action

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WineOH View Post
    Odd. You would think they could simply re-postion/re-market the Soul, as many cars mags have already used the Soul in comparisons with the H-RV and CX-3, where it has stood up very well
    This will not be as box-shaped as the Soul and have a more sporting nature to compete against the likes of the CX-3 and next gen Nissan Juke.

The KX-3 (ungainly looking) and the ix25/Creta are Kia's and Hyundai's subcompact offerings for the emerging markets - which wouldn't pass muster here.

Hope this retains much of the look of the Provo concept and notwithstanding, hope Kia adds an AWD version of the Soul (likely an e-AWD system).

Thanks

It a subcompact crossover in size, not compact crossover like a CX-R or BMW X3 size vehicle! Think smaller!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements